The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

18 hours ago, virginton said:

Not even remotely relevant to the claim that Airdrie were doubling and tripling up on this Messi-esque threat, unless there was a particularly close-fought struggle over a commemorative corner flag. 

dougalflag.gif.661f720136aace4c504e0b4d2980eb12.gif

Thanks for playing anyway. 

Moving the goalposts to try to justify your mouth-on-a-stick comment. 

Predictable, and predictably amusing. You just can't help yourself, can you? 

😊

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Politics thread for this pish.

You didn't answer my question: how much real, actual money have you handed over as a result of your disastrously stupid predictions on Pie and Bovril?

Seems like a relevant test of which poster has had a disaster of a year, so it's put up or shut up time now.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Moving the goalposts to try to justify your mouth-on-a-stick comment. 

Predictable, and predictably amusing. You just can't help yourself, can you? 

😊

Try reading the original post for the sake of comprehension and you'll see that no goalposts have been moved at all. Better luck next time, chump.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

You didn't answer my question: how much real, actual money have you handed over as a result of your disastrously stupid predictions on Pie and Bovril?

Seems like a relevant test of which poster has had a disaster of a year, so it's put up or shut up time now.

Deflection tactics? Failing to answer a question by asking one of your own about something completely unrelated and that has absolutely no relevance here?

Yep, you’re floundering again.  Keep going, it’s quite entertaining.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Try reading the original post for the sake of comprehension and you'll see that no goalposts have been moved at all. Better luck next time, chump.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Mouth music. 🤡  Still trying to defend your throwaway, ill-considered comment that has come back to bite you, dismissing two hours of gametime (plus an excellent, tie-winning goal, don’t forget) from McGuffie by offsetting it against a few minutes in a different game.

Floundering, tap dancing, embarrassment, choose your own term for it, but combining the above with your ludicrous statements about relegation being the saviour of the club (it wouldn’t have been) and that our squad rebuild would be miles behind everyone else’s (it ain’t) I think it’s fair to say that the ghost guy got it right.  You’re having a disaster of a year. Comedy gold. 😊

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Actual money handed over, how passé. Get with it Doc it’s all crypto currency these days .  TwoBitcoin  would probably suit you.

Lithgow isn't a habitual repeat sex pest. I think it's more to do with his mental health at the time. You don't know what was going on in his life at the time.

An old school friend of mine was caught making obscene telephone calls about 15 years ago. Turns out his mother had died and his mental health suffered. 

He hasn't to my knowledge repeated this kind of offense and neither has Lithgow. Not saying this is acceptable behavour  and it's of course distressing to the victims.

But both these people have went on to lead normal lives and haven't re-offended. I'm not comfortable with it, but how long do you make their lives a misery for something that could have been caused by mental health problems? 

I also think the club are deliberately not tackling this debate because it would be an acknowledgment in public and bringing it to attention. I mean, just look at some of the frothing at the mouth going on here. Some of our fans are acting like they work on behalf of the 'this is my full time job' virtue signalling Beast Hunters. A horrific lot really.

And as I said previous, if he scored a goal or kept one out off the line to send us up, all would be forgiven. And for what? Because he got our team promoted? That's a fairly low bar for forgetting about someone's past.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Lithgow isn't a habitual repeat sex pest. I think it's more to do with his mental health at the time. You don't know what was going on in his life at the time.

An old school friend of mine was caught making obscene telephone calls about 15 years ago. Turns out his mother had died and his mental health suffered. 

He hasn't to my knowledge repeated this kind of offense and neither has Lithgow. Not saying this is acceptable behavour  and it's of course distressing to the victims.

But both these people have went on to lead normal lives and haven't re-offended. I'm not comfortable with it, but how long do you make their lives a misery for something that could have been caused by mental health problems? 

Who’s saying anything about making the guy’s life a misery?

One of the consequences of having a criminal record of is that it affects a person’s employment prospects for the rest of their life, and that’s especially relevant for someone with a conviction for a sexual offence. There are a vast number of employers who wouldn’t let a guy with Lithgow’s convictions anywhere near getting a job because of the negative affect that he would have on their brand, and in roles that wouldn’t give them anything like the lifestyle or status that being a footballer gives.

Not wanting to see someone employed by your favourite football team because of their criminal past doesn’t equate to making their life a misery.

10 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I personally think its quality business we've made with Lithgow.

His past is his past. He's obviously made a questionable decision in getting his cock out unsolicited but also in 11 years there has been no repeat offences. Which as a fan of the team he now is employed by is good enough for me. Plenty of footballers have escaped rape accusations and still managed to play at a professional level. If he fired a header home moving us into the SPL I don't think there'd be many complaints then.

^^^ This. The guy made mistakes, did several nasty things and he's paid the penalty for it. In fact, he probably pays for it almost every day in life, given his occupation and the fact that the average fitba' fan has a memory like an elephant and is less forgiving than the worst of mothers-in-law. 

Plenty of footballers either have, or are alleged to have, committed sexual offences, from junior level right up to  the likes  of Cristiano Ronaldo..  In all cases, if they've paid the penalty, been found not guilty or the allegations have not resulted in court proceedings then the rest of us should simply let it lie and move on. 

This guy caused a state of alarm or panic for several women quite some time ago. He didn't  physically harm them and he hasn't done it since. It's unpleasant and not what we'd want a friend or relative to be caught doing, but he's learned his lesson and moved on. So should the rest of us. 

We've employed some pretty unpleasant characters at the club over the years, as has every club. Lithgow in 2021 doesn't appear to be one. I'm more than happy to give the guy a chance at Morton, as I am with every signing. I hope he does well for us. 

2 hours ago, Ira Gaines said:

These c***s need to get a room.

Which c**ts are you referring to? 

And "get a room"? For what? To binge-watch Buffy the feckin' Vampire Slayer?? 

Grow up. 

The idea that sexually deviant behaviour can be waved away as a mental health issue is utterly risible, not least (I suspect) to people who have clinically diagnosed mental illnesses and would rather not be associated with common or garden noncery. 

You can say that people make mistakes and accept that rehabilitation has taken place if you want, but to try and remove deliberate agency from the act in the first place is ridiculous.  

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I also think the club are deliberately not tackling this debate because it would be an acknowledgment in public and bringing it to attention. I mean, just look at some of the frothing at the mouth going on here. Some of our fans are acting like they work on behalf of the 'this is my full time job' virtue signalling Beast Hunters. A horrific lot really.

And as I said previous, if he scored a goal or kept one out off the line to send us up, all would be forgiven. And for what? Because he got our team promoted? That's a fairly low bar for forgetting about someone's past.

If the board don't want to debate controversial issues because fans might not agree with their stance then they have no business running a fan-owned football club. They are custodians of the club on the behalf of over 800 members of the fanbase within MCT. If they think that the sentiments of the fanbase are beneath their contempt then this club is not going to last long in this or any other guise at all.

The major issue that MCT should be trying to avoid right now is giving the impression that they represent the same unrepresentative clique as the Raes and their hangers-on before them. They shouldn't be written off before they've even formally taken control yet, but all of the decisions so far suggest 'more of the same' when it comes to running an asset that the fans now collectively own. 

Edited by vikingTON

It wasn't necessary to pick any. He should've been chucked in the bin with the rest of them.

Rewarding any of our forward players with a new contract after last season's shitshow is not a good sign.