The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I still think there could be a player in Nesbitt, but I'm happy to see him go. The lack of end product didn't justify a new deal.

If it's only those four being announced so far, I guess it's possible Nesbitt has also chosen to leave himself and decisions are still to be made on the rest, or they'll be announcing everyone we're releasing this afternoon when we also announce a new deal for someone good or a new signing. They wouldn't be talking about exciting news coming up if it was a new contract for Blues or Orsi.

I had high hopes a couple of seasons ago when we signed Nesbitt but he’s just not good enough imo. I didn’t think he was great the season before last either, and with Cadden running the show I think it let him off the hook a wee bit. He’ll no doubt end up at Ayr though - just hope he doesn’t do a Shankland on us. 

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

I still think there could be a player in Nesbitt, but I'm happy to see him go. The lack of end product didn't justify a new deal.

If it's only those four being announced so far, I guess it's possible Nesbitt has also chosen to leave himself and decisions are still to be made on the rest, or they'll be announcing everyone we're releasing this afternoon when we also announce a new deal for someone good or a new signing. They wouldn't be talking about exciting news coming up if it was a new contract for Blues or Orsi.

Am I right in saying MCT are going with a squad of 15/16 next season? 

Happy with the managerial appointments as it keeps a bit of continuity about the place.

Gus had very little to work with up front so can't be too critical of his time so far as he got us over the line.

Interesting that there is signing news this afternoon on the player front!

No feelings towards Nesbitt either way. A decent player clearly with a bit of room to grow still, but his lack of end product was infuriating - highlighted pretty well in the game a week ago. 

Gus, I really don’t know. I wanted nothing to do with him a couple of weeks ago as did most of the support. It’s a gamble, but there were worse options out there. 

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Am I right in saying MCT are going with a squad of 15/16 next season? 

I doubt it'll be as small as that, but I would expect an emphasis on quality over quantity in building a core first team squad then supplementing the bench with the likes of Wylie, McGrattan and Easdale when required, rather than the Hopkin approach of stockpiling a dozen pish forwards then using 29 players over the course of the season.

Gus obviously seen and commented on a lot of the squads shortcomings last season, but it worries me that there was no 'bounce' and the approach we took in the final few games of the regular season.

It also worries me that he's clearly a fan of Blues, Oliver and Muirhead.

The best part of that news is that Nesbitt is going though. Hopefully it is to Ayr or another competitor.

5 minutes ago, madton said:

it doesn't actually say that, just says exciting news. 

Wouldn't  surprise me if there is no mention of players and its a new strip.

"Exciting signing news" is what it says, so surely either a new signing or someone we were worried about losing as opposed to some jobbers.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

"Exciting signing news" is what it says, so surely either a new signing or someone we were worried about losing as opposed to some jobbers.

Aye seen the word signing once I posted doh!

That must either be the Montrose boy, Ledger, Jacobs or McAdams. Any other current player wont be exciting and they know that.

Dropping down a league might be the best thing for him. He needs to build up his confidence and, maybe with some decent coaching, he can work on his decision making and final ball. Ye'd imagine he'll be seeing a fair amount of it at the right end of the pitch for Falkirk but, then again, they are a mid-table seaside league team who finished closer to the relegation play off than top spot. 

Mixed feelings. He started and finished his initial stint well, but in between there were some worrying signs.

Two-year deal suggests the new guys have been shouting ‘stability, stability’ at each other at every meeting... but I’d hope there’s a break clause in there.

Fully expect to have mixed feelings about signing news to come.

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

‘Stability!’

Also, maybe, an indication that we might be willing to get seriously involved in the recruitment game by offering two-year deals.

I wouldn't be doing it for a significant number of players as it could backfire horribly, but if it's the tipping point in convincing one of the best players at the club to stay then it's a good decision.