Jump to content
Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Recommended Posts

I'm not disappointed at Morton signing Gus MacPherson. If that's not an indication of our current predicament then I don't know what is. 

Entirely unexpected and we should have appointed a manager months ago. Still strange to see Morton fans who were screaming for a manager on Saturday now questioning why we've signed a manager though 🤨

Edited by #Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only speak highly of the guy from his time at QP. Hardest job in the country when he took it. We were a total gang when he took over, bottom of League Two and taking slappings. It's no exaggeration to say we were a poor appointment away from Lowland League football.

In his first pre-season he moulded a team mostly made up of juniors and guys with little league experience and had us challenging for the title for much of the next season. Ended up finishing 2nd and losing narrowly in the playoff final. We followed that with promotion and then our highest league finish in a generation, 6th in League One. Think we were sitting 3rd as late on as April. As would always happen with Queen's as amateurs, the drip drip effect of losing good players would eventually mean a dip and we went back down in the playoffs. 

I cannot tell you how far away the idea of chasing playoff places in League One looked when he took over. The depths of guff where like nothing I'd ever seen watching QP before he arrived.

Don't buy the anti-football stuff either. Aye, he'll try and get you well structured and organised, but he'll get you playing decent football when he's got that side of things sorted. I know QOS fans have their experience of him, but he did a brilliant job for us and did well at St Mirren as well. Pleased to see him get another crack in management. Deserves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morton, bloody hell...

The timing is absolutely fuckin crazed... but I have to say I’ll take it at this stage in this absolutely fuckin crazed season.

McElhone is an honest guy... but he’s never a football manager.

McPherson might be, eh, a touch agricultural... but I think our squad needs somebody growling at them.

If he can win three or four out of eight, we’ll love him...

If he can’t, we can beat the wee Paisley b*****d to a pulp with the bloodied skull of Crawford Rae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mcpherson tries to set up not to lose games...10 men behind the ball.. 😂

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think this is a decent appointment for you. But then again, I thought Hopkin was too so I clearly know fucking nothing. Conflicted, though: I have a huge soft spot for Gus and now I wouldn't find it as funny if you went down.

On the plus side, the guy is well connected and can spot a player (though that may be a moot point if he's out the door before the window opens). He knows your league. He plays, erm, 'effective' football. If you keep him beyond the end of the season you can look forward to a squad absolutely riddled with hard-working central midfielders.

I am 100% sure that he'll keep you up now, and comfortably. It's an eminently sensible appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Morton, bloody hell...

The timing is absolutely fuckin crazed... but I have to say I’ll take it at this stage in this absolutely fuckin crazed season.

McElhone is an honest guy... but he’s never a football manager.

McPherson might be, eh, a touch agricultural... but I think our squad needs somebody growling at them.

If he can win three or four out of eight, we’ll love him...

If he can’t, we can beat the wee Paisley b*****d to a pulp with the bloodied skull of Crawford Rae.

On the timing, not really that surprised. After Sat, there was many calls to change it, to bring a proper manager in to give us a chance of saving our season and the board/MCT clearly agreed.

Glad to see they have acted swiftly.

On the growling, you seen Andy Millen?

I think it's a decent appointment and hopefully they can see us through. Presumably if they keep us up, the job is theirs next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, #Gary said:

I'm not disappointed at Morton signing Gus MacPherson. If that's not an indication of our current predicament then I don't know what is. 

Entirely unexpected and we should have appointed a manager months ago. Still strange to see Morton fans who were screaming for a manager on Saturday now questioning why we've signed a manager though 🤨

It's consistent to say that we needed a real manager and the board failing to appoint one through three months of being managed by a fitness coach was evidence of their deliberate neglect of the club, while also acknowledging that finally appointing one now is confirmation their statement when Hopkin left was a pack of lies.

As for McPherson himself, meh. There are out of work managers around who didn't get feebly relegated in their last job at this level so it feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel, but this is a million miles away from being an attractive job just now. While I wouldn't say I'm happy with it, it's better than going into the remaining 8 games with McElhone in charge.

It's an extremely tight situation for a manager to get to know the squad though. If only we'd appointed someone in fucking December when Hopkin left they wouldn't have been walking into such a high pressure situation. Some laugh if having finally had the changes pretty much everyone wanted on Tuesday night - Jacobs, Lyon and Colville together in midfield rather than the massively inferior Blues somehow getting a start, Sterling getting his first start and looking better than anyone else we've had at centre forward, Fjortoft and McLean at centre back, Nesbitt having his best game in weeks and getting a goal that might spur him on - we go right back to the drawing board with a new system and a need for it to work immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:


Who was it after JJ that season? Millar and McAllister?

I think Gus will see out the season tbh and the new owners can pick their own man in the summer. It’s a decent appointment to try and keep you guys up but I agree it’s come at a really bizarre time.

Not in the context of David Hopkin taking over at Ayr?🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:


Who was it after JJ that season? Millar and McAllister?

I think Gus will see out the season tbh and the new owners can pick their own man in the summer. It’s a decent appointment to try and keep you guys up but I agree it’s come at a really bizarre time.

McKinnon was there for three league games, John Sutton and Derek Anderson were co-caretakers for the fourth, then Johansson took over before McAlister and Millar were caretakers on the final day of the season.

36 points from the 31 games with Johansson. 10 points from the 5 games without him which included wins v Ross County and Dundee United, despite Sutton and Anderson losing their game.

Happy to conclude that we'd have won the league with literally any other manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like getting beat aff wee Ayr made the board decide to bring someone in for the rest of the season and it took until after beating ICT to get finalised. Either that or Anton is away to join Hopkin and we needed whoever was available. At least it's naw Gary Locke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is unexpected to say the least!  Crawford has hit the panic button after the Ayr game.

The timing of it is more bizarre than the appointment of Gus. This should have been done months ago.

I don't take anything away from Anton who by his own admission wasn't a manager and didn't want it long term. He's come in in difficult circumstances and gave it his all as far as I'm concerned. I really hope he stays at the club, but if he moves on then fair play to him.

We have a young squad of players, maybe one of the youngest squads in the league, so bringing in an experienced management team makes lots of sense.  

Now for that managerial bounce! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

McKinnon was there for three league games, John Sutton and Derek Anderson were co-caretakers for the fourth, then Johansson took over before McAlister and Millar were caretakers on the final day of the season.

36 points from the 31 games with Johansson. 10 points from the 5 games without him which included wins v Ross County and Dundee United, despite Sutton and Anderson losing their game.

Happy to conclude that we'd have won the league with literally any other manager.

An eminently sensible post - right up till the final sentence. 🤣

Well, it took a ten game winless run and falling into the playoff spot to do it, but the board (and/or MCT) finally realised the danger of continuing as we were. 

McElhone did his best, but he's never been a football manager and never wanted to be. It was penny-pinching in the extreme by the board to give him the job and totally unfair to the guy, and much as I like Midge it doesn't look like he's had much of an impact off the pitch. I suspect too that McElhone has told them he wants to link up with Hopkin again., which if true will have forced our hand. 

Giving MacPherson/Millen the gig till the end of the season gives us a better chance of being in the Championship next term. That, and seeing the Raes out the door, is all that matters right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's Hopkin confirmed as Ayr boss. Seems fairly likely then that McElhone told the board he wanted to join him and that forced our hand...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I actually think this is a decent appointment for you. But then again, I thought Hopkin was too so I clearly know fucking nothing. Conflicted, though: I have a huge soft spot for Gus and now I wouldn't find it as funny if you went down.
On the plus side, the guy is well connected and can spot a player (though that may be a moot point if he's out the door before the window opens). He knows your league. He plays, erm, 'effective' football. If you keep him beyond the end of the season you can look forward to a squad absolutely riddled with hard-working central midfielders.
I am 100% sure that he'll keep you up now, and comfortably. It's an eminently sensible appointment.


I question the "Can spot a player" point given he thought one of our mainstay CM Stephen fucking Simmons should have been playing in the premiership.

We needed the effective football we were promised from him but it never materialised. Morton's biggest fear should be that in his stint with us he was all about not losing and we were rarely a threat at the other end. If Morton are low on strikers it'll be interesting to see how he sets you up to attack. Mind you, having no strikers is probably that arsehole's wet dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madton said:

On the timing, not really that surprised. After Sat, there was many calls to change it, to bring a proper manager in to give us a chance of saving our season and the board/MCT clearly agreed.

Glad to see they have acted swiftly.

On the growling, you seen Andy Millen?

I think it's a decent appointment and hopefully they can see us through. Presumably if they keep us up, the job is theirs next season.

Yeah, but Saturday wasn’t the first time we’ve looked clueless since Hopkin left.

Still can’t believe they’ve waited so long... but still done it.

Also makes the various stories around Hopkin’s departure look like a pile of nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

 

Also makes the various stories around Hopkin’s departure look like a pile of nonsense.

What do you mean by this exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:


 

 


I question the "Can spot a player" point given he thought one of our mainstay CM Stephen fucking Simmons should have been playing in the premiership.

We needed the effective football we were promised from him but it never materialised. Morton's biggest fear should be that in his stint with us he was all about not losing and we were rarely a threat at the other end. If Morton are low on strikers it'll be interesting to see how he sets you up to attack. Mind you, having no strikers is probably that arsehole's wet dream.

 

We're already a defensive and generally well organised team that doesn't score goals. Bad spell with Queens granted, McPherson is still a better manager overall than Jim Duffy, who he schooled regularly at Queen's Park yet did an okay job steadying the ship for us.

The main concern I have in terms of results/performances is the added instability behind the scenes. If McElhone is away then it's not great for Sterling who was supposedly won to the move by that Spurs link. That's football of course, but the new management team will have to win over the squad and avoid any rifts with the old management team - including McLean and Millar as senior players - or this could end badly. The squad is nowhere near good enough to survive on natural ability alone, so if they're no longer pulling in the same direction then results will tank. Next season with the potential of fans back would be another story. There's going to be zero leeway given for this management team, unless we're all too busy fighting with the board instead. Weekly shame games ahoy!

After Saturday we had to push the panic button but Morton being Morton, we make an arse of the timing alongside the contentious pick. 

Edited by vikingTON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I question the "Can spot a player" point given he thought one of our mainstay CM Stephen fucking Simmons should have been playing in the premiership.

OK, there are always going to be exceptions. Our recruitment policy was a utter shitshow - at club level it was basically non-existent (by which I mean it came and went with different managers and there was no consistency). It took a marked improvement when Gus came in as DoF. There will always be fans who question Gus' impact at Saints during that period, and it became clear Goodwin didn't want/need him.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

The contentious pick. 

He utterly divides Saints support, despite his inarguable achievements for us, so I'd imagine Ton fans' patience with him would be relatively thin. I happen to be in the pro-Gus camp, even though his downsides are fairly clear to see. I guess the key question is, having been a DoF with us (always seems a cushy gig), and 15 years on since he got us promoted, whether or not he still has the energy. If he is hungry for it, I don't see why he couldn't be a success for you, perhaps even beyond this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gus took over from John Coughlin at St Mirren in December 2003. We were in a relegation battle in the first division at that point and he kept us up.
The next year we finished second, the next next year we won the league, and he then established us as a top flight side.
Was surprised it didn’t work out for him at QOTS (I think there were off field issues there at the time) but he did a good job at QP by all accounts.
I think he will do a good job at Morton. If he turns them into anything that isn’t a consistent basket case then he will certainly have improved the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Our recruitment policy was a utter shitshow - at club level it was basically non-existent (by which I mean it came and went with different managers and there was no consistency). It took a marked improvement when Gus came in as DoF. There will always be fans who question Gus' impact at Saints during that period, and it became clear Goodwin didn't want/need him.

Which is why I wonder if there's actually a thought of MacPherson moving into a similar role with us in the summer, assuming the takeover goes ahead. There is no recruitment policy at all, which is why we ended up with David Hopkin building a squad with 10 forwards (yet somehow no natural centre forward), one goalkeeper and five defenders, with the freedom to sign joke figures like Sam Ramsbottom and Henk Van Schaik despite apparently never watching them.

I hope that rectifying this and putting some kind of professional structure in place is going to be a priority for MCT, so if he was already being lined up for that role by the MCT directors already working in the club anyway and we urgently needed a manager to step in to see us through to the end of the season then it would actually make sense. Maybe that's too neat an explanation though and it genuinely is just such a shitshow of a club right now that no manager with a better pedigree is willing to go near it.

Edited by Dunning1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...