The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Some of the press reports, saying Rangers are choosing to send him to us over other options, allude to just that.

How would that work? Rangers send you a player who you realise after 2 games is soft as shite but you have to continue playing him? How would that even get written into an agreement?

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

How would that work? Rangers send you a player who you realise after 2 games is soft as shite but you have to continue playing him? How would that even get written into an agreement?

Would be along the lines of if he didn’t play then Morton would have to pay his wages. Happened with us with Jack Ruddy when on loan from wolves. McCall signed him and wolves were paying his wages as long as he was starting. He was brutal and almost cost us the league, eventually McCall dropped him for the last 3/4 games of the season.  IIRC he wasn’t even in the squad for the last game of the season. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I don't know, but can you honestly say you have never heard talk of that sort of thing in the past? Loan players or players that are funded externally expected to play?

Whether it's written into agreements or just verbally agreed, it is probably way more common than you think.

Some of the reports saying they had the choice to send him to Linfield, Ayr or us and they chose us as they think that's the best option for his development to come back having had game time.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/transfer-news/rangers-attacker-josh-mcpake-set-to-join-greenock-morton-on-loan-report/amp/

27 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would be along the lines of if he didn’t play then Morton would have to pay his wages. Happened with us with Jack Ruddy when on loan from wolves. McCall signed him and wolves were paying his wages as long as he was starting. He was brutal and almost cost us the league, eventually McCall dropped him for the last 3/4 games of the season.  IIRC he wasn’t even in the squad for the last game of the season. 

Have never heard of that type of agreement before but I suppose it makes sense from the parent club's point of view. 

22 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I don't know, but can you honestly say you have never heard talk of that sort of thing in the past? Loan players or players that are funded externally expected to play?

Whether it's written into agreements or just verbally agreed, it is probably way more common than you think.

Some of the reports saying they had the choice to send him to Linfield, Ayr or us and they chose us as they think that's the best option for his development to come back having had game time.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/transfer-news/rangers-attacker-josh-mcpake-set-to-join-greenock-morton-on-loan-report/amp/

I can honestly say I've never heard of it. I can understand the parent club wanting their player to get as many minutes on the pitch as possible but "guaranteed game time" is unworkable. 

I really hope that we didn't have the sort of agreement that callum-ayr alluded to or else we'd have found ourselves substantially out of pocket once we discovered Josh McPake was a lightweight shitebag. I had high hopes for him after 1 or 2 games but that didn't last long. 

7 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Have never heard of that type of agreement before but I suppose it makes sense from the parent club's point of view. 

I can honestly say I've never heard of it. I can understand the parent club wanting their player to get as many minutes on the pitch as possible but "guaranteed game time" is unworkable. 

I really hope that we didn't have the sort of agreement that callum-ayr alluded to or else we'd have found ourselves substantially out of pocket once we discovered Josh McPake was a lightweight shitebag. I had high hopes for him after 1 or 2 games but that didn't last long. 

Yeah, not saying I endorse that sort of agreement, but not hard to imagine that sort or stuff goes on.

I, for one, look forward to us romping the league in a Pep Guardiola-esque 3-7-0 formation with one centreback and various midfielders and wingers running about bamboozling the opposition with a beautiful combination of movement and silky one touch tiki-taka mixed in with the odd goal from Lewis Strapp long throws

46 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I, for one, look forward to us romping the league in a Pep Guardiola-esque 3-7-0 formation with one centreback and various midfielders and wingers running about bamboozling the opposition with a beautiful combination of movement and silky one touch tiki-taka mixed in with the odd goal from Lewis Strapp long throws

... or sand-dancing our way to a comfortable 8th...

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The different levels of contribution to wage depending on whether the player is starting or not thing is not that unusual. 

I pointed out on twitter that the brand new super duper website doesn't even show you the kit when you click on the Shop section.

They've now added a button saying "Morton kit" hyperlinked to Smith's website to the BOTTOM of the page... with no pictures, nothing. 

I dunno about anyone else or any other club but it's the first thing I'd expect to see when I go the the club shop, not an afterthought just plonked on the bottom after a fan has pointed out it wasn't there at all. Instead we have a picture of some lottery balls, the wall, and a fucking crowdie and then just 3 external links.

52 minutes ago, #Gary said:

I pointed out on twitter that the brand new super duper website doesn't even show you the kit when you click on the Shop section.

They've now added a button saying "Morton kit" hyperlinked to Smith's website to the BOTTOM of the page... with no pictures, nothing. 

I dunno about anyone else or any other club but it's the first thing I'd expect to see when I go the the club shop, not an afterthought just plonked on the bottom after a fan has pointed out it wasn't there at all. Instead we have a picture of some lottery balls, the wall, and a fucking crowdie and then just 3 external links.

Partly because they have 2 shop pages.

https://www.gmfc.net/shop/ which is linked to from the main shop button and just shows crowdies, lottery and the wall.

The other https://www.gmfc.net/shop-gmfc/ wasn't linked to from anywhere on the site.

The new button you speak of doesn't link direct to Smiths, it goes to the 2nd shop page (might have changed since you checked).

Still a bag of shite that needs totally redone.

If Clements is paying any more than his train fare, that is mental... Let's hope he's actually good...

Most of us were shocked by the retentions a few weeks ago, but as time has passed McLean and McGinty look more and more understandable... two legs and a head each. Why we've spent money on so many players in front of them, tho, just looks more insane each day closer to the season starting.

Defender today, surely?