The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Jack Baird to Morton on a permanent deal.

Well his dad told me he was up for it but needed compensation payment from St Mirren.

If on I would think they settled the contract balance and maybe we through in a small signing on fee.

It a reasonable signing just need a decent partner.

Any update on VST or are we awaiting confirmation of league game schedule.

I see PL teams are offering money off 21/22 season tickets depending on no of games behind closed doors.

CEO said we would be offered free Morton TV to compensate for 20/21 season ticket loss expect notification soon!

Note Morton forum is off air or closed just now, not a great loss as it seems to be in close season with exception of overseas contingent. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Except that it really isn't: least of all claiming that a club consigned to the bottom national tier of Scottish football again next season has got any sort of 'momentum' behind it. It's a straightforward case of mercenary conduct, which if all goes well at the end of two years will only see him, err, back playing at Championship level. The career paths of literally all the mercenaries who have joined King Snake over the past eighteen months however suggests that it won't though. Which would be a terrible, wee shame for all involved yet again.

Do keep up, chum - I said  "trying to build momentum". Read for comprehension next time, eh? 

You see "lazy" and "mercenary". I see a guy looking to stay full time who's found a new challenge, with a two year deal on more money. Bob will never be better than Championship level but should cruise the bottom division, and the one above if they get there, and if  in two years time he ends up back in the Championship he'll have more great memories than we could've given him and more money in the bank. I worked quite closely with Willie Haughey in the setting up of a  pension scheme for one of his companies, I remember hoisting his replica European Cup above my head in his office (weighs a ton by the way), and though I didn't much like the guy I can tell you this - he hates to see his money wasted, and if McKinnon doesn't get results he'll be out quicker than he was at Failkirk. Wee Bob will be there for his full two years though, and if he isn't he'll get a nice golden haunshake and walk into another club. 

One last thing. You really were suckled on the vinegar tit, weren't you? 

17 minutes ago, madton said:

Apparently we were one of 5 teams in the championship who 'voted' in favour of reconstruction. 

Looking forward to hearing what Mckinnon says about this. 

Was a non starter.

Must be looking for the maroon pound.

Makes sense if we are serious about going for promotion. Two teams who you would expect to be challenging for the Championship would be shunted up if it went to 14 in the top tier. Would make promotion easier. Especially if the league would then be filled with dross like Partick

I loved seeing Baird in the St Mirren line up when we played against them. He couldn't cope at all with the energy of players like Quitongo and McHugh. 

He did ok for us. Decent goal threat at set pieces, and reasonable enough in defence. He's no way good enough for the Premiership, but better than most we've had in that position recently (which isn't at all difficult). I'd expect there would be a will for this type of move to happen - the details might be tricky, though. 

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Makes sense if we are serious about going for promotion. Two teams who you would expect to be challenging for the Championship would be shunted up if it went to 14 in the top tier. Would make promotion easier. Especially if the league would then be filled with dross like Partick

It all depends on the details of the proposal. I can't see us voting for it if it took a third of the prize money pot out of our division. Over the longer term, you'd expect us to lose out based on that. 

On the other hand, if it shifted the balance of prize money so that the Championship retained its overall percentage of the pot, then it would probably be in our best interests to vote in favour. 

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I loved seeing Baird in the St Mirren line up when we played against them. He couldn't cope at all with the energy of players like Quitongo and McHugh. 

He did ok for us. Decent goal threat at set pieces, and reasonable enough in defence. He's no way good enough for the Premiership, but better than most we've had in that position recently (which isn't at all difficult). I'd expect there would be a will for this type of move to happen - the details might be tricky, though. 

I used to think the same. Always felt he looked very nervous when playing for them against us and as you say he got ripped apart in that 4-1 game.

Looking at it further though,  that was 3 years ago and he was only 21 and very raw. He went on to play most games for St Mirren that year winning the league and then played pretty much every game in the 1st season back in the Premiership.

When he came to us,  he looked more steady and confident than he did previously but i don't think the shambolic defensive setup we had early in the season helped his game as we were all over the place collectively. Since that was sorted out, he has looked solid, chipped in with a few goals and has done well so for me so I would be happy for him to come back, he certainly seemed to enjoy his time here. If we can find an experienced partner for him, think it could work well with Tumilty and Strapp either side of them and Jacobs sitting in front.

20 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Oh, really? How so?

And be extremely specific. 😄

In the sense that you'll be regaling us with tales of your time as Endemol CEO if this current breakdown keeps up. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

In the sense that you'll be regaling us with tales of your time as Endemol CEO if this current breakdown keeps up. 

Ah, I see. As I knew would be the case, you have absolutely no justification for your post. 

Thanks for clearing that up. 

A very good evening to you. Champ.  😁