The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

https://gmfc.net/2020/02/01/adam-livingstone-departs-morton/

Livingstone was out of his depth but it’s a  bit of a shambles to be sending him back without knowing for sure we had more defenders coming in.

McGuffie in, King out is an upgrade in an area where we already had enough options anyway, and we’re better off at right back since we now actually have one with Tumilty back, but defence was the area where we really needed more and better options. We’ve had three defenders out, two defenders in and we’re weaker at centre back than we were at the start of the window.

Grant wasn't good enough for the Championship, but I don't think he was as awful as he was made out to be and was certainly better than McLean. While I'd have been happy for Grant to go if we could get better, there's no reason to believe McGinty is an upgrade - he’ll get a chance to show he’s better than his performances for Partick suggest but all the evidence points to him being worse. Welsh was a hopeless full back but looked competent on the rare occasion he got a chance in his real position, so he could have solved centre back but no.

Now we have no cover at all for full back, where we have Strapp getting booked every other week, two questionable centre back options out of three and we need the signings in quickly.

On the park it's been a good month - we started off in serious danger of being cut adrift in the bottom two if we were to lose at Arbroath, but ended up the month in amongst the mid-table pack with as good a chance of staying up as any of them. We're still in danger but we've got more reasons to be confident than we did a month ago. Hope the defence can be fixed before it changes that.

Edited by Dunning1874

13 minutes ago, Jack Phillips said:

We’ve just signed Adam livingstone on loan, noticed yous had him for the first half of the season. Any good?

The only game I saw him play was against Partick and he was fucking dreadful. Repeatedly gave the ball away, constantly lost his man, was too slow to react to just about everything and was badly at fault for their first goal and gave away enough chances for them to be out of sight in the first thirty minutes. 

The only game I saw him play was against Partick and he was fucking dreadful. Repeatedly gave the ball away, constantly lost his man, was too slow to react to just about everything and was badly at fault for their first goal and gave away enough chances for them to be out of sight in the first thirty minutes. 

Sounds brilliant fir league 1 [emoji51]

Quite hard to judge him as he barely got game time, although he did have a mare against Thistle but so did most people that day.

i think it was expected that he would get more game time when he signed but Lewis Strapp has really kicked on this season and made the left back position his own.

Good luck to him. He probably thought he was coming to us to play most weeks but it just didn't work out.

Edited by madton

7 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

We’ve just signed Adam livingstone on loan, noticed yous had him for the first half of the season. Any good?

I thought he looked decent until the Thistle game. Then he quite simply had a nightmare and never recovered. 

Hope the lad gets his confidence back as he has lots of potential.

Could be a great signing

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He'll be crying into the 18 month pay out he just received from the club he helped relegate. Poor lad.

Don't think we would have given him anything near 18 months. Would have arrived at an agreement.

OK, 15 months then.  😁

All in all it worked out very nicely. Tids did his bit in helping to send you down (and keep us up) last season, didn't do much (or maybe wasn't allowed to do much) in your "promotion" campaign, was pretty well paid for sitting on the bench and finally when he was happy to see the back of Falkirk he walked away with a sizeable wedge of your club's money in his back pocket. Mission accomplished, Agent Tidser and good luck in the future.

Don't think we would have given him anything near 18 months. Would have arrived at an agreement.
Depends if someone who has been displaying pretty clear mercenary tenancies would be willing to compromise rather than sitting on his arse pocketing the coin.

Still on Tidser, some of the stuff about him on the Morton board today and yesterday has to be seen to be believed. Grown men (well, presumably, plus vt) squealing like spurned teenage girlfriends because a guy took the moves on offer to him to better himself and his family financially. There's only one guy so far talking common sense about it all on there and he's been shouted down by the usual narrow-minded muppets.

A couple of examples:   "What a fud."   "Money grabbing b*****d."   "Clearly cashing out and only 30."   But the same guys would be cheering on any of their pals who got themselves a job with more money for doing the same thing, like Tidser did last year.

"In 10 years that money will be long gone and in another 10 years he will be forgotten about by fans of every club he's ever been at, except some of us who will never forgive him for being a snake anyway."   Wow.  I don't think he's a mug financially, but who knows how well he'll manage his money? That's up to him. And since he doesn't live in Inverclyde I very much doubt he'll give a toss about whether or not a few numskulls through here think of him - I'm fairly sure he'd rather have had a club other than Falkirk make him the offer they did last year but he'd have been aff his heid if he didn't take it just because it would rankle with a few folk he didn't even know.

And then there's this belter:  "Yep, he's totally fucked it for himself with Morton. He was well on the way to becoming a legend here, in spite of our relative lack of success in his time at Cappielow. With a testimonial sitting waiting on him, and his own business up and running anyway, finance shouldn't have been a massive concern to him."   Oh really? Finance is a massive concern to almost every professional footballer in Scotland outside of the arsecheeks,  Tidser will be no different. A testimonial a year or two down the line against, say, St Mirren would maybe get 2500 in at say £15 a head; not a huge amount after expenses and deductions - not something that could be seen as a gamechanger, especially since he'd have been  staying with us for a season or two on much less money before the testimonial came along. Daft not to take the money on offer at the time - playing football's a job, and not for very long; he probably enjoys it but first and foremost it's there to pay the bills and help him get his post-football working life sorted out.   "There would probably have been a job inside the club waiting for him with Morton helping him through his coaching badges if he wished, he'd have been in pretty high demand further down the line to be wined and dined, asked to speak at events etc. but chose to take the devil's shilling."   The key word there is "probably".  No guarantees at all. Managers come and go, and the club is available to any new owner willing to meet Rae's price. Any player counting on Morton's ongoing goodwill further down the line in these circumstances would be mad. As for "pretty high demand further down the line to be wined and dined, asked to speak at events etc"  - get real. Hasn't worked out too well for Andy Ritchie over the years.......   "He might have a healthy bank balance after his two recent moves, but when he looks back on his career, I'm sure there'll be some major regrets at how it panned out. f**k him."   Aye, I'm sure if Tidser was to read that he'd think "f**k you too mare, just proves I did the right thing".......      and then just get on with his life..

I know fitba' fans have tunnel vision re the clubs they support, but honestly the lack of common sense where players are concerned is ridiculous. When all's said and done it's just a job, they shouldn't be expected to have any more loyalty to their employers than the rest of us do, and some fans should uncurl their petted lips, grow up and take a look around the real world for a change.

25 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Still on Tidser, some of the stuff about him on the Morton board today and yesterday has to be seen to be believed. Grown men (well, presumably, plus vt) squealing like spurned teenage girlfriends because a guy took the moves on offer to him to better himself and his family financially. There's only one guy so far talking common sense about it all on there and he's been shouted down by the usual narrow-minded muppets.

A couple of examples:   "What a fud."   "Money grabbing b*****d."   "Clearly cashing out and only 30."   But the same guys would be cheering on any of their pals who got themselves a job with more money for doing the same thing, like Tidser did last year.

"In 10 years that money will be long gone and in another 10 years he will be forgotten about by fans of every club he's ever been at, except some of us who will never forgive him for being a snake anyway."   Wow.  I don't think he's a mug financially, but who knows how well he'll manage his money? That's up to him. And since he doesn't live in Inverclyde I very much doubt he'll give a toss about whether or not a few numskulls through here think of him - I'm fairly sure he'd rather have had a club other than Falkirk make him the offer they did last year but he'd have been aff his heid if he didn't take it just because it would rankle with a few folk he didn't even know.

And then there's this belter:  "Yep, he's totally fucked it for himself with Morton. He was well on the way to becoming a legend here, in spite of our relative lack of success in his time at Cappielow. With a testimonial sitting waiting on him, and his own business up and running anyway, finance shouldn't have been a massive concern to him."   Oh really? Finance is a massive concern to almost every professional footballer in Scotland outside of the arsecheeks,  Tidser will be no different. A testimonial a year or two down the line against, say, St Mirren would maybe get 2500 in at say £15 a head; not a huge amount after expenses and deductions - not something that could be seen as a gamechanger, especially since he'd have been  staying with us for a season or two on much less money before the testimonial came along. Daft not to take the money on offer at the time - playing football's a job, and not for very long; he probably enjoys it but first and foremost it's there to pay the bills and help him get his post-football working life sorted out.   "There would probably have been a job inside the club waiting for him with Morton helping him through his coaching badges if he wished, he'd have been in pretty high demand further down the line to be wined and dined, asked to speak at events etc. but chose to take the devil's shilling."   The key word there is "probably".  No guarantees at all. Managers come and go, and the club is available to any new owner willing to meet Rae's price. Any player counting on Morton's ongoing goodwill further down the line in these circumstances would be mad. As for "pretty high demand further down the line to be wined and dined, asked to speak at events etc"  - get real. Hasn't worked out too well for Andy Ritchie over the years.......   "He might have a healthy bank balance after his two recent moves, but when he looks back on his career, I'm sure there'll be some major regrets at how it panned out. f**k him."   Aye, I'm sure if Tidser was to read that he'd think "f**k you too mare, just proves I did the right thing".......      and then just get on with his life..

I know fitba' fans have tunnel vision re the clubs they support, but honestly the lack of common sense where players are concerned is ridiculous. When all's said and done it's just a job, they shouldn't be expected to have any more loyalty to their employers than the rest of us do, and some fans should uncurl their petted lips, grow up and take a look around the real world for a change.

f**k sake, I'm naw reading all of that you mentalist.

39 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Good post, agreed.

3 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

OK, 15 months then.  😁

All in all it worked out very nicely. Tids did his bit in helping to send you down (and keep us up) last season, didn't do much (or maybe wasn't allowed to do much) in your "promotion" campaign, was pretty well paid for sitting on the bench and finally when he was happy to see the back of Falkirk he walked away with a sizeable wedge of your club's money in his back pocket. Mission accomplished, Agent Tidser and good luck in the future.

And you know this how?

Maybe he was dismissed for gross misconduct, i.e. having McKinnon by throat against the dressing room wall. (Not that I personally would class that as gross misconduct).

3 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

If you wish to comment on the Morton forum then you can still log in under your old Spot Ton account, hth.