The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

10 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Surprising, to say the least. But if we're signing Broadfoot, Baird was going to be fourth choice CH.

He's a good player; bit error prone sometimes, but not afraid to put his head where it matters. I'm hoping this will improve him and we'll get a better player back. Even recently, people have been suggesting he could still be a future Saints captain.

Will follow this with interest. Good signing for Morton, IMO.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Surprising, to say the least. But if we're signing Broadfoot, Baird was going to be fourth choice CH.

He's a good player; bit error prone sometimes, but not afraid to out his head where it matters. I'm hoping this will improve him and we'll get a better player back. Even recently, people have been suggesting he could still be a future Saints captain.

Cheers.

Bit of a mental evening with the Broadfoot stuff then this but we need upgrades at the back so not too displeased.

38 minutes ago, Scosha said:

@Skyline Drifter we now have 5 players on loan from the Premiership. Is this allowed? I thought it was only 4 maximum that a club could have at any one time. 

No, its not allowed. Who do you apparently have?

Edit - ignore that, I looked it up. You have 4 players on loan. You just havent bothered to publish that one of your alleged loans has been converted to a permanent contract, presumably to facilitate an extra loan. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, its not allowed. Who do you apparently have?

Edit - ignore that, I looked it up. You have 4 players on loan. You just havent bothered to publish that one of your alleged loans has been converted to a permanent contract, presumably to facilitate an extra loan. 

And which one would that be?

Baird, Livingstone, Welsh, Rodgers - don't fucking dare say Blues has been made permanent. 

Edited by Jamie_M

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's a good player; bit error prone sometimes, but not afraid to put his head where it matters. I'm hoping this will improve him and we'll get a better player back. Even recently, people have been suggesting he could still be a future Saints captain.

He's just what we need right now. A decent player at this level. Happy with that.

All sorts of idiots on Twitter (I know; I was surprised as well) from both sides - surely faux outrage that he's going to Morton (and Morton fans apparently annoyed they've signed a Saints player). I mean... what grown adult actually gives a f**k? I reckon it's a good move for everyone involved. Playing under Hopkin could be good for him, too. 

We’re undoubtedly in a better place defensively than we were a week ago, but it’s still not good to have ended up with two left backs, four centre backs and no right backs. Though while he’s error prone Baird is certainly an upgrade on McLean and McAlister.

Obviously versatility was always going to be central to our squad building but on what we’ve seen so far the centre backs or central midfielders who can supposedly do a job at right back are poorer there than the admittedly mediocre right back we sent out on loan a couple of weeks ago. Early days for Welsh obviously, but I was hoping we’d make a signing that would allow him to play centre back.

We better not have doubled down on Cameron Blues by making his signing permanent to facilitate another loan rather than cutting our losses as we did with the other dud Livingston offloaded to us.

23 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We’re undoubtedly in a better place defensively than we were a week ago, but it’s still not good to have ended up with two left backs, four centre backs and no right backs. Though while he’s error prone Baird is certainly an upgrade on McLean and McAlister.

Obviously versatility was always going to be central to our squad building but on what we’ve seen so far the centre backs or central midfielders who can supposedly do a job at right back are poorer there than the admittedly mediocre right back we sent out on loan a couple of weeks ago. Early days for Welsh obviously, but I was hoping we’d make a signing that would allow him to play centre back.

We better not have doubled down on Cameron Blues by making his signing permanent to facilitate another loan rather than cutting our losses as we did with the other dud Livingston offloaded to us.

Sounds like we have. An absolute Dylan Dykes of a signing.