Jump to content
Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Recommended Posts

Have to agree with our Viking brother on this... It doesn't matter how good a manager you think Hopkin is (I think he's about as good as we could have hoped for), but it's fair to point out that approaching the first competitive game with one fit goalkeeper who's a complete unknown quantity and one signed centre-half with a question mark over his fitness is worrying... Doesn't matter how well the rest of the team fits together if we're weak at GK and CB; that's a recipe for inconsistency and being too close to the relegation places.

I can see us signing McLean as a squad option if he proves his fitness (i.e. that he can train full-on and consistently) and would probably be OK with that; but somebody will need to explain to me how McGeever's quality has been lurking unnoticed at the heart of Brechin's defence for the last couple of seasons. If and when that happens, you'd have to conclude that we're desperate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Have to agree with our Viking brother on this... It doesn't matter how good a manager you think Hopkin is (I think he's about as good as we could have hoped for), but it's fair to point out that approaching the first competitive game with one fit goalkeeper who's a complete unknown quantity and one signed centre-half with a question mark over his fitness is worrying... Doesn't matter how well the rest of the team fits together if we're weak at GK and CB; that's a recipe for inconsistency and being too close to the relegation places.

I can see us signing McLean as a squad option if he proves his fitness (i.e. that he can train full-on and consistently) and would probably be OK with that; but somebody will need to explain to me how McGeever's quality has been lurking unnoticed at the heart of Brechin's defence for the last couple of seasons. If and when that happens, you'd have to conclude that we're desperate...

I don't know what people expect from Hopkin the budget has been slashed you can only sign players with the cash on offer. If you offer peanuts you get dross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmfc said:

I don't know what people expect from Hopkin the budget has been slashed you can only sign players with the cash on offer. If you offer peanuts you get dross.

I don’t think anyone is having a go at Hopkin for it, just calling the calibre of player as they see it.

Anyway, Ryan McGeever has signed for Dumbarton so we’ll be looking elsewhere. Unless we’ve got someone else lined up quickly we’re looking at McAlister or Strapp as the third centre back on Tuesday, that’s assuming McLean signs as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopkin choosing to pass up on McGeever after his career-defining performance on Tuesday. Odd eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Hopkin choosing to pass up on McGeever after his career-defining performance on Tuesday. Odd eh? 

Is that what happened? Or did we not offer enough money to make him go full-time ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, virginton said:

Hopkin being a better manager than Johannsson is not exactly an impressive feat. What we can tell right now - despite your shrieks of disapproval - is that Hopkin and/or the club has made a complete arse of the task of putting a central defence together. We let everyone go including KIlday, who has easily found another team at this level; we were then clearly chasing Tom Lang who went to Dunfermline instead. That was unfortunate, but then we did nothing for a whole month until someone finally checked the calendar, saw that the first compeittive game was in ten days' time and so here we are, rummaging in the clearance bin for jobbers. 

I'm absolutely fine with fans either believing or just hoping that Hopkin will prove to be a good manager for the club. But to suspend all scrutiny of the current transfer window - or to suspend rational thought by thinking relegated, seaside league dung like McGeever would turn into the next Franco Baresi under his guidance - is laughable, wishful thinking nonsense.  And if you believe that the manager's judgment cannot be questioned right now then it's time that you wound your neck in, realised that the concept of a football forum isn't for you and logged off for good.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. 

Spectacular telt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, virginton said:

Hopkin being a better manager than Johannsson is not exactly an impressive feat. What we can tell right now - despite your shrieks of disapproval - is that Hopkin and/or the club has made a complete arse of the task of putting a central defence together. We let everyone go including KIlday, who has easily found another team at this level; we were then clearly chasing Tom Lang who went to Dunfermline instead. That was unfortunate, but then we did nothing for a whole month until someone finally checked the calendar, saw that the first compeittive game was in ten days' time and so here we are, rummaging in the clearance bin for jobbers. 

I'm absolutely fine with fans either believing or just hoping that Hopkin will prove to be a good manager for the club. But to suspend all scrutiny of the current transfer window - or to suspend rational thought by thinking relegated, seaside league dung like McGeever would turn into the next Franco Baresi under his guidance - is laughable, wishful thinking nonsense.  And if you believe that the manager's judgment cannot be questioned right now then it's time that you wound your neck in, realised that the concept of a football forum isn't for you and logged off for good.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. 

Y’know,  you’d (probably) be a better poster if you dumped the exaggeration and hyperbole hyperbollocks and did what you trumpet about doing but often don’t, ie stick to the facts. For example:

despite your shrieks of disapproval” -  Really?? Last time I shrieked was in Florida in 2001, when the Summit Plummet waterslide at Blizzard Beach gave me the mother of all wedgies that felt like my arse was balancing on the business end of a meat cleaver. Nothing, but nothing, on these threads, or about fitba’ in general, is important enough to have me shrieking. What you’re referring to is me putting forward my opinions in a level-headed and balanced way; stop trying to deflect from that with your usual nonsense.

”Hopkin and/or the club has made a complete arse of the task of putting a central defence together.”    It’s true that we could, should, be in a better state defensively by now. What are the reasons though? We’re obviously offering less money than before, can’t blame anyone for going elsewhere to make a better living (see Tidser, Michael). We’ve had players on trial, some I think still are, some have been discounted, some have accepted offers elsewhere. We’re reaching the stage where the loan market is about to come into play. Fact is, we don’t know how much activity is going on behind the scenes. To definitively state that “they’ve made an arse of it” is just bollocks because you do not know any more than the rest of us.

“we did nothing for a whole month until someone finally checked the calendar, saw that the first compeittive game was in ten days' time and so here we are, rummaging in the clearance bin for jobbers.”  Surely you don’t believe they did nothing for a month??  You’ve no idea what they were doing and who may, or may not, be likely to come here. More biased bollocks.

”And if you believe that the manager's judgment cannot be questioned right now”    -   Of course it can, and I have never believed or stated otherwise. What I DO do is look calmly at the bigger picture. I’m not defending the management in this post, I’m countering the bollocks and over-reaction in your  post because it’s way over the top. In my opinion. Tone it down and your stuff might be worth reading. Maybe.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudolph, this is a football forum, you're not phoning instructions to him on Babestation for fuxsake!

How do you stay hard waiting for your dreamboat's next posts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Y’know,  you’d (probably) be a better poster if you dumped the exaggeration and hyperbole hyperbollocks and did what you trumpet about doing but often don’t, ie stick to the facts. For example:

despite your shrieks of disapproval” -  Really?? Last time I shrieked was in Florida in 2001, when the Summit Plummet waterslide at Blizzard Beach gave me the mother of all wedgies that felt like my arse was balancing on the business end of a meat cleaver. Nothing, but nothing, on these threads, or about fitba’ in general, is important enough to have me shrieking. What you’re referring to is me putting forward my opinions in a level-headed and balanced way; stop trying to deflect from that with your usual nonsense.

”Hopkin and/or the club has made a complete arse of the task of putting a central defence together.”    It’s true that we could, should, be in a better state defensively by now. What are the reasons though? We’re obviously offering less money than before, can’t blame anyone for going elsewhere to make a better living (see Tidser, Michael). We’ve had players on trial, some I think still are, some have been discounted, some have accepted offers elsewhere. We’re reaching the stage where the loan market is about to come into play. Fact is, we don’t know how much activity is going on behind the scenes. To definitively state that “they’ve made an arse of it” is just bollocks because you do not know any more than the rest of us.

“we did nothing for a whole month until someone finally checked the calendar, saw that the first compeittive game was in ten days' time and so here we are, rummaging in the clearance bin for jobbers.”  Surely you don’t believe they did nothing for a month??  You’ve no idea what they were doing and who may, or may not, be likely to come here. More biased bollocks.

”And if you believe that the manager's judgment cannot be questioned right now”    -   Of course it can, and I have never believed or stated otherwise. What I DO do is look calmly at the bigger picture. I’m not defending the management in this post, I’m countering the bollocks and over-reaction in your  post because it’s way over the top. In my opinion. Tone it down and your stuff might be worth reading. Maybe.

 

 

 

Too long; didn't read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Is that what happened? Or did we not offer enough money to make him go full-time ?

If McGeever wanted to stay part-time, then he could have found a dozen better clubs to sign for than Dumbarton right now. But none of them actually wanted him, because he is a useless haddy. Thanks for playing anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, virginton said:

If McGeever wanted to stay part-time, then he could have found a dozen better clubs to sign for than Dumbarton right now. But none of them actually wanted him, because he is a useless haddy. Thanks for playing anyway. 

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Too long; didn't read. 

No, of course you didn't. 

😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cappiecat said:

Rudolph, this is a football forum, you're not phoning instructions to him on Babestation for fuxsake!

How do you stay hard waiting for your dreamboat's next posts?

tl; dr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway... glad we haven’t signed McGeever, but the suggestion we offered him a deal is horrific...

As for Hopkin, it’s fair to point out that the budget has been cut and that his job isn’t easy... but that doesn’t mean it isn’t his job; needs to pull something out the bag here, loans or otherwise. A keeper and at least three defenders to come and the majority need to be better than what we already have.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re surely not going to sign another goalkeeper. Three centre backs will be it.

I’m getting flashbacks to having Darren Barr and Conor McManus at centre back the last time we were at Fir Park. Hopefully a decent loanee appears from somewhere, because I doubt we’re going to stretch to Gavin Gunning’s wages this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rudolph, this is a football forum, you're not phoning instructions to him on Babestation for fuxsake!
How do you stay hard waiting for your dreamboat's next posts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:
2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:
tl; dr. 

Tl; dr

Gd. Thnx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Y’know,  you’d (probably) be a better poster if you dumped the exaggeration and hyperbole hyperbollocks and did what you trumpet about doing but often don’t, ie stick to the facts. For example:

despite your shrieks of disapproval” -  Really?? Last time I shrieked was in Florida in 2001, when the Summit Plummet waterslide at Blizzard Beach gave me the mother of all wedgies that felt like my arse was balancing on the business end of a meat cleaver.

 

 

 

What the f**k is wrong with you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...