Jump to content
Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Knickerwetting and negativity about knickerwetting and negativity.

Grow up.

^^^ one of the prime knickerwetting moaners

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That totally fails to distinguish between ‘every little thing’ and what is really quite a big thing... not having a credible squad of players. A friendly at Forfar isn’t totally meaningless, otherwise we wouldn’t be playing it. It’s one of only two games we have pencilled in to prepare for the competitive season... which starts on the 16th of fuckin July!

We’re well on course here for a McKinnon-style dismissal of the League Cup games as ‘preparation’. We should be more or less ready for the season when the season actually starts, maybe adding a couple of high-quality loans towards the end of the window.

A quick look at the other squads in the division tells you we need to get a move on...

As I said, it isn't anywhere near ideal, but a sense of perspective is needed. For example, according to the BBC as of yesterday Kilmarnock hadn't made a single signing in the close season. 

Let's, for once, assume a Morton manager knows what he's doing. If it all goes tits up, be as neg as you like, but till then dry the eyes (& the pants). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An overnight stay in Inverness on the Friday and the chance to take in a Highland League game on the Saturday. Delightful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? You have evidence that some artificial surfaces "clearly contribute to injuries" do you? I expect people will be delighted to see that then seeing as plenty of people have been trying to prove it for years and failing. The best player in this League has played on one for the last three seasons now with no major injury problems (he's pulled his hamstring twice but one of those was on grass at Somerset and I doubt a pulled hamstring relates to the pitch). He's in his late 30's. Derek Lyle played on it week in, week out until he was 37 too with no significant injury.

Surprised it took you so long.

I'm not trying to prove anything, just offering an opinion based on experience... no need to be so defensive. You'll no doubt be able to put me right, but Dobbie's second-half dip -- and, if I recall, a calf injury that nearly got you relegated -- might well be down to wear and tear associated with the pitch. As you'll no doubt be aware, the problem isn't the surface itself, but the fact that you can't prevent them hardening over years of use. They're basically a con, punted on the basis that they 'last forever'; reality is you need to shell out to replace it every eight years or so... and it will be a problem for the last couple of years of that.

On the other point, are you honestly going to tell me you've preferred watching your team on the plastic, compared to previous years on grass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

^^^ one of the prime knickerwetting moaners

As I said, it isn't anywhere near ideal, but a sense of perspective is needed. For example, according to the BBC as of yesterday Kilmarnock hadn't made a single signing in the close season. 

Let's, for once, assume a Morton manager knows what he's doing. If it all goes tits up, be as neg as you like, but till then dry the eyes (& the pants). 

Not clear as to why we appear to agree that it 'isn't anywhere near ideal', but asking the question is somehow negative.

Like Hopkin and have high-ish hopes... but totally legit to be asking 'where the f**k are the centre-halves?' as we approach the first game. If that counts as knicker-wetting, we're all gonnae drown...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Surprised it took you so long.

I'm not trying to prove anything, just offering an opinion based on experience... no need to be so defensive. You'll no doubt be able to put me right, but Dobbie's second-half dip -- and, if I recall, a calf injury that nearly got you relegated -- might well be down to wear and tear associated with the pitch. As you'll no doubt be aware, the problem isn't the surface itself, but the fact that you can't prevent them hardening over years of use. They're basically a con, punted on the basis that they 'last forever'; reality is you need to shell out to replace it every eight years or so... and it will be a problem for the last couple of years of that.

On the other point, are you honestly going to tell me you've preferred watching your team on the plastic, compared to previous years on grass?

Your extensive experience as a professional footballer at SPFL level? You said artificial pitches "clearly contribute to injuries", a lazy soundbite with in fact no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

If you had actually read the post you quoted I wouldnt need to put you right. Since you clearly didnt I will repeat it for you. He pulled a hamstring, on grass, at Somerset Park. You made up the bit about a calf injury.

And what second half dip? He scored 43 goals last season in 44 games. His scoring rate was slightly lower in the second part of the season, probably because as a team we played poorer, but it was hardly a drought!

And frankly I couldnt care less what surface I watch my team on. They are certainly more than capable of playing great and rotten football on both surfaces. If you are asking if I think playing on 3G in some way detracts from the quality on offer then no, I dont.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

An overnight stay in Inverness on the Friday and the chance to take in a Highland League game on the Saturday. Delightful.

Never easy or cheap with all the tourists at that time.

Last year I took a single room and found it would have been more comfortable and spacious sleeping in my bathroom. 

Anyway you can always join in on the highland dancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Your extensive experience as a professional footballer at SPFL level? You said artificial pitches "clearly contribute to injuries", a lazy soundbite with in fact no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

If you had actually read the post you quoted I wouldnt need to put you right. Since you clearly didnt I will repeat it for you. He pulled a hamstring, on grass, at Somerset Park. You made up the bit about a calf injury.

And what second half dip? He scored 43 goals last season in 44 games. His scoring rate was slightly lower in the second part of the season, probably because as a team we played poorer, but it was hardly a drought!

And frankly I couldnt care less what surface I watch my team on. They are certainly more than capable of playing great and rotten football on both surfaces. If you are asking if I think playing on 3G in some way detracts from the quality on offer then no, I dont.

Sorry, I didn't realise the only way to encounter shite artificial surfaces was as a professional footballer in the SPFL... I'll bear that in mind. Also didn't realise that was some kind of qualification for commenting on a message board; this place needs a bit of a clear-out.

I should have realised, though, that any implied criticism of your club and/or your best player would be met with touchy-touchy-touchiness... glad to hear Sir Stephen's calves are in good shape and delighted that he definitely didn't have a poor late season...

Apart from that, your pitch is shite and you're deluding yourself that it doesn't affect the quality of the football on show... same as it does at Alloa, Grangemouth, Kilmarnock, Hamilton. There are very good reasons why they're not used for top-level football all across Northern Europe (with the exception of places with extreme winter climates, like Russia, where guaranteeing European fixtures can go ahead is the main driver). And there is one very good reason why Scotland is an exception: in this, as in so many other things, we are tin-pot as f**k...

See you on 14 September, brother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^^

Caught out talking absolute nonsense and prefers to continue to peddle it than concede so and back away quietly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^

Touchy, touchy wee man...

No nonsense, just opinion. Nothing to concede or 'back away' from. Whereas you appear to have exactly _nothing_ to say.

As I said, see you on 14 September... and best of luck for the forthcoming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're free to have express your opinion about what colour of football boots you prefer; you're not free to make a completely bogus claim that a type of football surface causes more injuries when the overwhelming weight of evidence proves you wrong and then squeal 'it's my opinion though!111!!!'. At least not without being subject to entirely justified ridicule and so here we are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

^^^^^^

Touchy, touchy wee man...

No nonsense, just opinion. Nothing to concede or 'back away' from. Whereas you appear to have exactly _nothing_ to say.

As I said, see you on 14 September... and best of luck for the forthcoming season.

The "clearly contribute to injuries" bit, is an opinion offered  as fact, which can't be supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The "clearly contribute to injuries" bit, is an opinion offered  as fact, which can't be supported.

Clearly contribute to some injuries in some players... hardly implying scientific standards of proof and I know this to be fact...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Clearly contribute to some injuries in some players... hardly implying scientific standards of proof and I know this to be fact...

Get yourself published then.

Lots of research has failed to establish this, but you know it as a fact.  History is being made right here people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, virginton said:

You're free to have express your opinion about what colour of football boots you prefer; you're not free to make a completely bogus claim that a type of football surface causes more injuries when the overwhelming weight of evidence proves you wrong and then squeal 'it's my opinion though!111!!!'. At least not without being subject to entirely justified ridicule and so here we are. 

You are familiar, I know, with the concept of 'reading for comprehension'... so you should also know that I have not at any point said that a type of surface 'causes more injuries'. I have no way of knowing that. If I was interested in quantity, I might look at the 'scientific studies' you posted. I'm not.

This whole conversation started from the observation that players with the injury history of Kilday and Tidser might not be best advised to sign for teams playing on deteriorating artificial surfaces. Perfectly legitimate concern, no implication about generality or 'quantity'.

That is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Get yourself published then.

Lots of research has failed to establish this, but you know it as a fact.  History is being made right here people.

Not my area of specialisation, mate.

Lots of research has failed to establish what?

Everybody knows some things as fact, even QoS supporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always enjoy the mental gymnastics of those who wish to parrot the line of astro pitches causing injury but also go to great lengths to make sure everyone knows its just their opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Always enjoy the mental gymnastics of those who wish to parrot the line of astro pitches causing injury but also go to great lengths to make sure everyone knows its just their opinion

Who are you again, missus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Not my area of specialisation, mate.

Lots of research has failed to establish what?

Everybody knows some things as fact, even QoS supporters.

The causal link between artificial surfaces and injuries has not been established.  

If you're now reduced to observing that some players sometimes get some injuries on some surfaces, I can but agree though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...