Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Cite your sources Doc. Even a Poundshop PhD paper would require you to evidence your assertions. 

Have you bought your "I luv Hoppy", t-shirt yet? 

By all means:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/41/suppl_1/i33.short

In the present study among young female football players, the overall risk of acute injuries was similar between artificial turf and natural grass.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1466853X13000102

Whether reporting all injuries or just those that prevented players from taking part in training or match play, injury incidence rates were generally higher when Saudi National Team footballers played on grass than on 3G artificial surface. Although this is a small study, the unique quasi-repeated measures study design with elite Saudi National Team footballers, adds to the current belief that 3G artificial turf does not increase injury risk in football.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4870829/

In professional youth soccer injury rates are reasonably low. Muscle injuries are the most common type of injuries while groin and thigh the most common locations. Artificial turf pitches don’t seem to contribute to injury incidence in young football players.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/40/12/975.short

No evidence of a greater risk of injury was found when football was played on artificial turf compared with natural grass. The higher incidence of ankle sprain on artificial turf warrants further attention, although this result should be interpreted with caution as the number of ankle sprains was low.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/11/794

No significant differences were detected in injury rate or pattern between 3GAT and NG in Norwegian male professional football.

And last but certainly not least, the all-important meta-analysis of studies conducted on artificial pitches and injury risk:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

This meta-analysis examined eight studies that compared soccer injury rates occurring on AT and NG. In total, these studies report nearly 1.5 million hours of training and match play and almost 10,000 injuries. The adjusted IRR for all injures was significantly less than 1.0 indicating lower incidence rates for playing and training on AT. For specific categories and specific injuries, several IRR values were less than 1.0. In no case did we find an IRR value significantly greater than 1.0. Thus, the overall results of our analyses do not support the idea that playing or training on AT increases the risk of injury compared to NG. In fact, our analyses suggest that AT surfaces may reduce injury incidence for some types of injuries within specific categorizations.

The scientific evidence is comprehensive on this matter. Artificial surfaces do not increase the risk of injury for professional footballers; whether some players feel concerned about playing on that surface or not is irrelevant. 

Thoughts on Robbie McCrorie apparently he is signing for Queens on loan. 

Liked him. Some cracking saves. Kept us in a fair few games when he came in and displaced Gaston. Would rather have him again than the 2 ringers we have.

1 hour ago, Branch Ton said:

Have you bought your "I luv Hoppy", t-shirt yet? 

😄

3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Excellent young keeper. Will play for Scotland one day

Very good young keeper, looks confident and never seems to panic. Good kick on him too, he’ll do well for you.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

The reason for letting KIlday go seems to be financial rather than on playing ability, seeing as we've failed to find a better option in the market and are sniffing around a bench-warmer from last season's side.

Erm no, you actually said that you'd be concerned about 'playing on an artificial surface every other week' - not 'playing on a poor Scottish league football surface every other week'. Which he'd be doing anyway playing for any team at Championship level. 

Throw in the fact that Kilday was of course training on an artificial surface every day at Parklea for several years and the idea that the type of surface will have any impact on this signing is a total red herring. 

And Dick Byrne isn't a bishop either.

I’m assuming the injuries and the loss of pace have something to do with it; otherwise, we’re looking at someone at Cappielow deluding themselves they’ll get better than Kilday for less money. I don’t believe we’d have let him go without anyone on the way in, unless they know he’s physically shot (and I don’t believe he’s gone to QoS for the big bucks...).

On the pitches, I was talking quite specifically about Lee Kilday signing for QoS and playing at Palmerston... a poor artificial surface, deteriorating like they all do. I might of course be wrong, but I don’t see Kilday thriving there. Training and playing matches is a totally different proposition.

To repeat, I made no generalisation about artificial surfaces; you did that, claiming outright that they ‘don’t cause injuries’. Some clearly do contribute to some injuries in some players; ask anybody who’s played on them in a sustained way, especially after 30.

Different point altogether, but they also contribute to shite football and shouldn’t be allowed above League 1; no amount of ‘scientific studies’ will disprove that.

I’ll graciously concede the point about Dick Byrne.

5 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

That’s a fucker. Long odds against one of the two keepers we’ve signed being better than McCrorie...

6 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Solid. Great command of his area/communicator for his age and capable of some fantastic stops. Obviously some way away from being the finished article, but he’s definitely got a decent future ahead of him. 

15 hours ago, virginton said:

By all means:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/41/suppl_1/i33.short

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1466853X13000102

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4870829/

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/40/12/975.short

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/11/794

And last but certainly not least, the all-important meta-analysis of studies conducted on artificial pitches and injury risk:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

The scientific evidence is comprehensive on this matter. Artificial surfaces do not increase the risk of injury for professional footballers; whether some players feel concerned about playing on that surface or not is irrelevant. 

Crumbs?

Bang average will do me just fine.

You’ll be delighted then, he’s indeed bang average, even at that, I would have kept him for another season!

I thought they would have been looking to get him placed at PL level bottom 6.

With JJ gone the link was broken so no chance of return to Ton will do reasonably well +, only issue was his increasing failure to come for crossed balls, may have been our coaching.

I've heard a rumour that Greenock Morton Football Club, a full-time professional outfit playing in the second tier of Scottish football, have a friendly in two days time and have only two signed defenders...

Can anybody confirm? 

We've always got a stack of ringers from Braeside to fill in though, so unlike one of our recent managers I doubt we'll cancel it because he couldn't sign enough players in time.

And Jacobs (if he exists) and McAlister can be centre backs for a meaningless trip to Forfar if the trialists aren't getting a run out.

We will no doubt have two, three or more trialists in the squad on Saturday so there will be bodies covering the defensive positions. It’s a friendly against Forfar, it’s not as if it’s the first league game of the season.

It’s not ideal, true, but hardly the end of the world (unless you’re one of the majority of posters on the Morton forum, of course; never seen such an amount of knickerwetting and negativity about every little thing from what are supposedly adults. Some on there really should have a word with themselves).

We will no doubt have two, three or more trialists in the squad on Saturday so there will be bodies covering the defensive positions. It’s a friendly against Forfar, it’s not as if it’s the first league game of the season.
It’s not ideal, true, but hardly the end of the world (unless you’re one of the majority of posters on the Morton forum, of course; never seen such an amount of knickerwetting and negativity about every little thing from what are supposedly adults. Some on there really should have a word with themselves).
Knickerwetting and negativity about knickerwetting and negativity.

Grow up.

11 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

That totally fails to distinguish between ‘every little thing’ and what is really quite a big thing... not having a credible squad of players. A friendly at Forfar isn’t totally meaningless, otherwise we wouldn’t be playing it. It’s one of only two games we have pencilled in to prepare for the competitive season... which starts on the 16th of fuckin July!

We’re well on course here for a McKinnon-style dismissal of the League Cup games as ‘preparation’. We should be more or less ready for the season when the season actually starts, maybe adding a couple of high-quality loans towards the end of the window.

A quick look at the other squads in the division tells you we need to get a move on...

Inverness and dundee away on a friday night. Would be raging if that was us.

On 02/07/2019 at 23:14, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’m assuming the injuries and the loss of pace have something to do with it; otherwise, we’re looking at someone at Cappielow deluding themselves they’ll get better than Kilday for less money. I don’t believe we’d have let him go without anyone on the way in, unless they know he’s physically shot (and I don’t believe he’s gone to QoS for the big bucks...).

On the pitches, I was talking quite specifically about Lee Kilday signing for QoS and playing at Palmerston... a poor artificial surface, deteriorating like they all do. I might of course be wrong, but I don’t see Kilday thriving there. Training and playing matches is a totally different proposition.

To repeat, I made no generalisation about artificial surfaces; you did that, claiming outright that they ‘don’t cause injuries’. Some clearly do contribute to some injuries in some players; ask anybody who’s played on them in a sustained way, especially after 30.

Different point altogether, but they also contribute to shite football and shouldn’t be allowed above League 1; no amount of ‘scientific studies’ will disprove that.

I’ll graciously concede the point about Dick Byrne.

Whit? You have evidence that some artificial surfaces "clearly contribute to injuries" do you? I expect people will be delighted to see that then seeing as plenty of people have been trying to prove it for years and failing. The best player in this League has played on one for the last three seasons now with no major injury problems (he's pulled his hamstring twice but one of those was on grass at Somerset and I doubt a pulled hamstring relates to the pitch). He's in his late 30's. Derek Lyle played on it week in, week out until he was 37 too with no significant injury.