Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

29 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I'd be very surprised to see Hoppy play 4-3-3! possibly more likely to see something like this:

Ramsbottom

New            New           New

Tumilty    Millar     Jacobs    Lyon    McAlister   

Salkend     Nesbitt

Nope.

32 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I'd be very surprised to see Hoppy play 4-3-3! possibly more likely to see something like this:

Ramsbottom

Salkend     Nesbitt

Aye 3 at back certainly possible, just guessing with current players at his disposal and not sure if its just presumed because he played that at Livvy.

Think its safe to say Muirhead will start as a target man though.

Ramsbottom
                       Salkend     Nesbitt

Jim McAlister at left fullback is giving me palpitations. Please no. If there’s a central 3 and he doesn’t fit, he should be on the bench. Not at wingback, fullback, centre back or anywhere else for that matter.

5 hours ago, MonEhTon said:

Jim McAlister at left fullback is giving me palpitations. Please no. If there’s a central 3 and he doesn’t fit, he should be on the bench. Not at wingback, fullback, centre back or anywhere else for that matter.

Hopkin has more or less said that Strapp will get the chance to make the left back slot his and I think he will. McAlister can cover at wing back, particularly on the right but he got played all over the place last season, so who knows? 

6 hours ago, MonEhTon said:

McAlister played well at CB in the last few games of the season. Not saying I would like to see him there as he's not a natural CB. 

Hoppy saying he would like 4 CB's which seems a bit much. And also competition for Strapp at LB.

Wonder how we will fair in the loan market this season?  Kiltie coming back would be the icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

McAlister played well at CB in the last few games of the season. Not saying I would like to see him there as he's not a natural CB. 

Hoppy saying he would like 4 CB's which seems a bit much. And also competition for Strapp at LB.

Wonder how we will fair in the loan market this season?  Kiltie coming back would be the icing on the cake.

I really do dislike the term 'natural' when it comes to player positions. I mean, I get what people are getting at, but in this example McAlister was a forward who broke into the team as a winger, played a lot of football at wing back before making a career at a higher level as a central midfield player (where he had only played a couple of times for us). I mean 'naturally' what is he, a winger? But in his career that hasn't been his best position (and he has played pretty much every position). Players find their best positions as their careers progress, and often have different positions at different stages. 

I agree with you, he looked pretty decent at CB. I think his influence was really appreciated there. It doesn't seem like Hoppy it looking for him to play in that role, though, if he's looking for 3 or 4 new CBs. We look like we might be a bit flexible in what we'll be able to do, but we don't look like we're going for creativity in the middle of the pitch. McAlister will probably be one of the options in that type of midfield. 

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I really do dislike the term 'natural' when it comes to player positions. I mean, I get what people are getting at, but in this example McAlister was a forward who broke into the team as a winger, played a lot of football at wing back before making a career at a higher level as a central midfield player (where he had only played a couple of times for us). I mean 'naturally' what is he, a winger? But in his career that hasn't been his best position (and he has played pretty much every position). Players find their best positions as their careers progress, and often have different positions at different stages. 

I agree with you, he looked pretty decent at CB. I think his influence was really appreciated there. It doesn't seem like Hoppy it looking for him to play in that role, though, if he's looking for 3 or 4 new CBs. We look like we might be a bit flexible in what we'll be able to do, but we don't look like we're going for creativity in the middle of the pitch. McAlister will probably be one of the options in that type of midfield. 

I remember when Lamie got shifted to LB and big Ricky said he was a CB to trade. He was a CB, and I take it by his comments playing at LB was perhaps strange to him.

It wasn't a role he was used to playing and felt he was being played out of position.  Lamie didn't consider it a role that was natural to him. That's not to say he didn't play well there as he adapted to the role and eventually played at a higher level.

There are players who have a feel for a particular position - you only have to look at the comments of new signing Muirhead who considers himself a No.9 and that's where he wants to play.

To a certain extent the same could be said about McAlister, who probably wouldn't consider himself a CB. But played there at the tail of last season and done very well.

If you ask McAlister what position he plays I'm sure he will say a midfielder.  And most fans would say that too. I'm sure he will play where he asked to play, but I would say he would feel most comfortable in midfield.

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I remember when Lamie got shifted to LB and big Ricky said he was a CB to trade. He was a CB, and I take it by his comments playing at LB was perhaps strange to him.

It wasn't a role he was used to playing and felt he was being played out of position.  Lamie didn't consider it a role that was natural to him. That's not to say he didn't play well there as he adapted to the role and eventually played at a higher level.

There are players who have a feel for a particular position - you only have to look at the comments of new signing Muirhead who considers himself a No.9 and that's where he wants to play.

To a certain extent the same could be said about McAlister, who probably wouldn't consider himself a CB. But played there at the tail of last season and done very well.

If you ask McAlister what position he plays I'm sure he will say a midfielder.  And most fans would say that too. I'm sure he will play where he asked to play, but I would say he would feel most comfortable in midfield.

I totally get that, I just get irked by the overuse of the idea that it's somehow an innate, natural thing. 

Peter Weatherson would undoubtedly say he was a striker. His best season for us came at right back. He struggled at right back a level up. Lamie was undoubtedly uncomfortable at left back, he now plays at a higher level at left wing back. McAlister played hundreds of games as a wide player, then found his best role as a central midfield player. Ross Forbes was a left footed central midfield who played the best football of his career on the right wing. 

You don't want to be putting square pegs in round holes, but the idea of the 'natural' position is very often misleading. If you simply mean what they shown to be their best position or a position that they're most used to then I completely agree with you, but too often fans (and players) get hung up on an idea of a position they think is their natural position without considering if it's actually the position they're of most use playing in. 

I dislike players being played out of their ‘natural’ position when it clearly harms their own performances and the team as a whole. An example would be Declan McManus being played out wide in the League One season when we had no other competent centre forwards, with the result of neutering our attack and wasting our best player at the time. Another issue would be the classic Jim Duffy line-up of two centre backs in central midfield with two central midfielders on the wing, when you end up with so many out of position that the whole team becomes a disjointed mess because you don’t have enough players with an understanding of their role.

In McAlister’s case last season that wasn’t an issue. We had other central midfielders good enough that he wasn’t missed there and he was an improvement on what we had in defence, even though it meant displacing natural centre backs. I wouldn’t have considered him part of our strongest midfield then and I still wouldn’t now with Millar, Lyon and Jacobs at the club, while he was far less error prone than Buchanan and Waddell after he got to grips with the positional sense and was certainly a better option than McKeown. He was probably our best centre back in the run in.

I’d hope we find natural centre backs better than him, but if we’re playing a back three I have no issues with him filling in there. We could do far worse and with no centre backs signed yet I wouldn’t be surprised if we do.

Wonder how the search for centre halves is going.  Hopefully we see a few arrive this week as our first  cup game is less than 4 weeks away so really need to get a few in to start building  partnerships, work on defensive shape etc etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see a couple of bruisers come up from lower leagues in England using Timmins contacts. Can't think of anyone up here who is a free agent who stands out. Can only think of Durnan and the Edge.

Probably see a young defender from Premiership come in on loan as well.

I’ll admit I’m also unsure if McAlister still has the legs to play wing back, however I thought having Nesbitt in front of him would reduce his need to fly up and down the wing for 90 minutes. I’m also taking from Hopkin’s intention to sign 4 CB’s, that’s it’s a back 3 with one as cover. Perhaps McAlister could fit in there with Strapp at LWB?

On 17/06/2019 at 21:05, DreamOakTree1 said:

Ramsbottom

Salkend     Nesbitt

You've missed out Muirhead.  Fairly sure he'll be a default choice as one of the strikers.

58 minutes ago, Alibi said:

You've missed out Muirhead.  Fairly sure he'll be a default choice as one of the strikers.

Yeah could be right, as Hoppy was praising him up, whereas Salkend wasn’t sourced by him.

With Cadden, Nesbitt, Salkeld and Orsi in the squad, you’d think that either 3-5-2 isn’t going to be Hopkin’s preferred formation, or he sees at least two of them as number 10s to be used off Muirhead rather than as wingers. Having the flexibility to move between different systems can only be a good thing, of course.

Edited by Dunning1874

Will be a 0-6-4 the way things are going...
Preferable to Buchanan and Waddell back there to be honest and less likely to ship goals.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

We’ve signed Nicky Cadden.

With Cadden, Nesbitt, Salkeld and Orsi in the squad, you’d think that either 3-5-2 isn’t going to be Hopkin’s preferred formation, or he sees at least two of them as number 10s to be used off Muirhead rather than as wingers. Having the flexibility to move between different systems can only be a good thing, of course.

How refreshing to see we have a few wingers in the squad now..

McKinnon and Duffy never really had that area covered. Prob need to go back a good few years to when we last had 2/3 good options on either wing.

He talked about how Salkeld could play anywhere across the middle or up top  so  he could play just off Muirhead with Nesbitt and Cadden either side.