The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

These budget cuts seem to be more severe than they first seemed. Millar spoke about how he believed we will be a play off team next season. This signing suggests its more of a "just looking to stay up" season.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Tumilty signs on again - pleased with that. He's needs to do more defensively, but like him going forward.

Buchanan is off - would have been ok if he signed on again but not fussed that he's leaving either

27 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Buchanan is off - would have been ok if he signed on again but not fussed that he's leaving either

Would have happily kept the player we saw away at Palmerston and Grangemouth... but where had that player been all season? No excuses for a guy with his experience. It's more frustrating watching a player you know can do it under-perform than watching some guy who is just out of his depth.

Good riddance.

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Don’t know anything about him so can’t comment if it’s a good signing or not, but good luck to him :) 

Orsi looked like Brechin's best player when he came off the bench against us a few months ago. Based on that I wouldn't have been averse on us taking a punt on him.

Their team was, as you'd expect, absolutely bobbins however, so I'm pretty staggered to see him getting a full-time move.

Tumilty improved as the season went on for me. At the start of the season he looked decent going forward, a lot better than Doyle but suspect defensively ( whereas Doyle was solid enough) As the season progressed though, he seemed to find more of a balance and never really made any obvious defensive mistakes and was always a good out ball going forward. Happy for him to stay.

I'm one of the few Morton fans who thought Buchanan was decent enough and was happy for him to stay too( felt he was our best centre back, especially in the second half of  the season). However he is certainly not irreplaceable or that good  that I'm gutted he is leaving.   We will almost certainly replace without much difficulty as he was a typical Championship centre back!

Tumilty obviously has his flaws but improved considerably as the season went on, making far fewer defensive errors for all that his distribution still needs a lot of work, and he’s young enough to keep improving with good coaching. Happy to see him stay.

Buchanan on the other hand was by far the most error prone of three centre backs who all loved a ridiculous mistake, and he’s not a player who’s going to get any better. Having to replace every centre back really isn’t ideal but he was the obvious weak link and we’re well rid.

As for Kalvin Orsi, I’ll reserve judgement until seeing him play (I have no recollection of him at all from Brechin games) but signing a player who wasn’t offered a new contract by the club who finished bottom of League One does seem bizarre, and a concerning indication of what kind of budget Hopkin has to work with. Picking up young players from lower leagues was always likely to be our main approach this summer, but one who’s suffered successive relegations having played in the worst Championship team ever wasn’t too predictable.

Glad Buchanan is off, probably good for the budget as well seeing as we were obligated to offer to him rather than wanting to (or able to offer a mark down based on his performances).

Bye bye ya big finger pointing, shit haired donkey.

17 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Bye bye ya big finger pointing, shit haired donkey.

For a moment I thought you were addressing Dunning there. 

Whilst I know VT, Dunning and  the forum's other natural athletes might find it difficult to excuse some of our squad's  deficiencies your constant bitching about all and sundry is really tiresome.

Have courage and be a little kinder. 

For a moment I thought you were addressing Dunning there. 
Whilst I know VT, Dunning and  the forum's other natural athletes might find it difficult to excuse some of our squad's  deficiencies your constant bitching about all and sundry is really tiresome.
Have courage and be a little kinder. 
The f**k is this weapon talking about?

17 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As for Kalvin Orsi, I’ll reserve judgement until seeing him play (I have no recollection of him at all from Brechin games) but signing a player who wasn’t offered a new contract by the club who finished bottom of League One does seem bizarre, and a concerning indication of what kind of budget Hopkin has to work with. Picking up young players from lower leagues was always likely to be our main approach this summer, but one who’s suffered successive relegations having played in the worst Championship team ever wasn’t too predictable.

I heard from a Brechin fan that he wasn't offered a new deal because they were unable to afford a suitable package. Can't tell you if this is accurate or not

Alright guys? I know Minding The Gap was very important to you you all during seasons 2015-16 and 2016-17, so thought I'd give you all an update now the dust has settled on this season. I'm sure you'd hate for that gap to go unminded.
We scraped together a very poor 32 points in the top flight, which we add to the 25-point gap between yourselves and Ross County, giving us an overall Mind the Gap rating of 57 points.
Choo-choo!
mind-the-gap-london.jpg&key=0d264d5842ac88d064d1f6d32bddbbeab8d86086e51c77ef38084d05da62bc73

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

On 5/31/2019 at 13:50, Tri-TON said:

These budget cuts seem to be more severe than they first seemed. Millar spoke about how he believed we will be a play off team next season. This signing suggests its more of a "just looking to stay up" season.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Maybe he was referring to the other kind of play-off.