Tri-TON

The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

So, IF Tidser signs, yes. If not, no, 1 less.

Meaning one of the experienced centre-mids would be away. If it isn't Tidser, it's likely to be one of the other two: can't see how we're going to afford Tidser, Millar, and McAllister. Unless Hopkin has a get-out-of-jail card ready for D. Dykes.

On the other hand, if Hopkin's planning to keep McAllister as a centre-half, I'll greet.

7 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Did Hopkin give the guys with deals on the table a deadline to get back to him by?

Was supposed to be last night, was certainly the case with Thomson anyway. Unsure what’s happening with McHugh & Tidser.

36 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Did Hopkin give the guys with deals on the table a deadline to get back to him by?

Wednesday.

Meaning one of the experienced centre-mids would be away. If it isn't Tidser, it's likely to be one of the other two: can't see how we're going to afford Tidser, Millar, and McAllister. Unless Hopkin has a get-out-of-jail card ready for D. Dykes.
On the other hand, if Hopkin's planning to keep McAllister as a centre-half, I'll greet.
That's out of our hands. We WANT Tidser. We NEEDED a player like Jacobs. We're STUCK with Dykes. We are OBLIGATED to offer to Millar and McAlister. And we have high hopes for Lyon.

We will deal with how it ends up should they all accept.

But yes, McAlister is likely to be nowhere near centre mid. Doubt centre back either but his versatility is useful, as is Jacobs'.

Was supposed to be last night, was certainly the case with Thomson anyway. Unsure what’s happening with McHugh & Tidser.
Wednesday was quoted as the deadline for those given their auto extension offer.

For the other offers, it was listed separately and we said "we expect to receive their answers in the coming days."

For Tidser, it's whenever he wishes.

If we play 3/5 at the back again the McAllister showed that he can very capably play as one of the three and, in the past, as a RWB. TBH, he was our best CB at the tail-end of the season

Potentially we'll have an over abundance of midfielders. If Tidser signs along with Millar and McAllister then then we're probably going to have to sacrifice signings elsewhere.

Jacobs was signed specifically by Hopkin to the point he didn't want to take a chance in waiting a couple of weeks until his contract expired and signed a PCA.

So Jacobs is a starter, so would Tidser be too. Lyon would be next on my teamsheet. Where does that leave McAllister, Millar and Dykes? Can't see Millar and McAllister signing on to warm the bench at their stage in their careers. 

And the utter bizarre signing of Dykes, albeit he's not as bad as some make out. But when you consider the amount of players available this Summer why jump in and sign him up before seeing who is available? 

13 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

And the utter bizarre signing of Dykes, albeit he's not as bad as some make out. 

Dykes is dreadful and should be shown the door as soon as possible. 

Potentially we'll have an over abundance of midfielders. If Tidser signs along with Millar and McAllister then then we're probably going to have to sacrifice signings elsewhere.
Jacobs was signed specifically by Hopkin to the point he didn't want to take a chance in waiting a couple of weeks until his contract expired and signed a PCA.
So Jacobs is a starter, so would Tidser be too. Lyon would be next on my teamsheet. Where does that leave McAllister, Millar and Dykes? Can't see Millar and McAllister signing on to warm the bench at their stage in their careers. 
And the utter bizarre signing of Dykes, albeit he's not as bad as some make out. But when you consider the amount of players available this Summer why jump in and sign him up before seeing who is available? 
Even Stephen Hawking wouldn't have been able to figure out how the f**k Dykes ended up getting his contract extended, when we don't really do contract negotiations until after the season (except for the odd youth prospect), nobody else got one (except Lyon, as above) and Dykes wasn't even getting a game under JJ.

Why JJ proposed it, and how he was allowed to go through with it, will forever remain a complete fucking mystery.

What is clear though, is that JJ should have probably got sacked on the spot for it.

59 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

All in all though. I'm a bloody bit more optimistic going into the new campaign.

Mon the Ton & Mon the Hopkin.

It worried me that JJ got Dykes signed up  as a priority. I doubt there was anyone at all looking for his signature at that time. 

We're well rid of that clown. Hawke as well. With the budget cuts I reckon JJ would have taken us down no bother next season but with Hoppy I've a bit more faith that he knows what he's doing. 

I’m not sure how we’d have a surplus of midfielders if Hoppy plays 5 in midfield. That would be 5 starters plus say 3 as back-up. If so we may actually be short of midfielders. Then again if 2 of the 5 are wing backs then the numbers could be about right.

Dull draw. Was hoping to avoid Motherwell who have given us a couple of doings in the past few years in the cup!

Tough ask to go to Motherwell and get a result.

Really need to win the other 3 in 90 minutes to have a chance!

Bob McHugh signs one year contract extension.

https://gmfc.net/2019/05/28/bob-mchugh-signs-one-year-contract-extension/

Happy enough with that, needs creativity behind him in midfield to be effective, top scorer for us last two seasons IIRC, but should be looking for an upgrade on him, if not hope Hopkin gets his work rate up.