The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Potentially we'll have an over abundance of midfielders. If Tidser signs along with Millar and McAllister then then we're probably going to have to sacrifice signings elsewhere.

Jacobs was signed specifically by Hopkin to the point he didn't want to take a chance in waiting a couple of weeks until his contract expired and signed a PCA.

So Jacobs is a starter, so would Tidser be too. Lyon would be next on my teamsheet. Where does that leave McAllister, Millar and Dykes? Can't see Millar and McAllister signing on to warm the bench at their stage in their careers. 

And the utter bizarre signing of Dykes, albeit he's not as bad as some make out. But when you consider the amount of players available this Summer why jump in and sign him up before seeing who is available? 

Potentially we'll have an over abundance of midfielders. If Tidser signs along with Millar and McAllister then then we're probably going to have to sacrifice signings elsewhere.
Jacobs was signed specifically by Hopkin to the point he didn't want to take a chance in waiting a couple of weeks until his contract expired and signed a PCA.
So Jacobs is a starter, so would Tidser be too. Lyon would be next on my teamsheet. Where does that leave McAllister, Millar and Dykes? Can't see Millar and McAllister signing on to warm the bench at their stage in their careers. 
And the utter bizarre signing of Dykes, albeit he's not as bad as some make out. But when you consider the amount of players available this Summer why jump in and sign him up before seeing who is available? 
Even Stephen Hawking wouldn't have been able to figure out how the f**k Dykes ended up getting his contract extended, when we don't really do contract negotiations until after the season (except for the odd youth prospect), nobody else got one (except Lyon, as above) and Dykes wasn't even getting a game under JJ.

Why JJ proposed it, and how he was allowed to go through with it, will forever remain a complete fucking mystery.

What is clear though, is that JJ should have probably got sacked on the spot for it.

59 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

All in all though. I'm a bloody bit more optimistic going into the new campaign.

Mon the Ton & Mon the Hopkin.

It worried me that JJ got Dykes signed up  as a priority. I doubt there was anyone at all looking for his signature at that time. 

We're well rid of that clown. Hawke as well. With the budget cuts I reckon JJ would have taken us down no bother next season but with Hoppy I've a bit more faith that he knows what he's doing. 

I’m not sure how we’d have a surplus of midfielders if Hoppy plays 5 in midfield. That would be 5 starters plus say 3 as back-up. If so we may actually be short of midfielders. Then again if 2 of the 5 are wing backs then the numbers could be about right.

Bob McHugh signs one year contract extension.

https://gmfc.net/2019/05/28/bob-mchugh-signs-one-year-contract-extension/

Happy enough with that, needs creativity behind him in midfield to be effective, top scorer for us last two seasons IIRC, but should be looking for an upgrade on him, if not hope Hopkin gets his work rate up.

Alright guys? I know Minding The Gap was very important to you you all during seasons 2015-16 and 2016-17, so thought I'd give you all an update now the dust has settled on this season. I'm sure you'd hate for that gap to go unminded.

We scraped together a very poor 32 points in the top flight, which we add to the 25-point gap between yourselves and Ross County, giving us an overall Mind the Gap rating of 57 points.

Choo-choo!

mind-the-gap-london.jpg

Just now, Tri-TON said:

I see Brian Easton has been released from St.Johnstone, probably out our range but seems pretty good pals with Millar. Would be an impressive signing but also quite injury prone iirc.

He has signed for Accies already.

12 hours ago, Pedro1874 said:

Happy enough with that, needs creativity behind him in midfield to be effective, top scorer for us last two seasons IIRC, but should be looking for an upgrade on him, if not hope Hopkin gets his work rate up.

FFS he's just had Chris Millar and Michael Tidser playing behind him for most of the season, how much more creativity - and actual passing skill - can a forward reasonably expect at this level? You could certainly argue that having a shitebag manager didn't help any attacking player last season, but at the same time McHugh simply didn't made good enough runs to be found - he doesn't have the pace to get in behind defenders and doesn't come short to any great effect either. 

The problem with our attacking lies with the attackers themselves - the onus will be on Hopkin to sort that out on the training ground and get better options in as well. 

I see Brian Easton has been released from St.Johnstone, probably out our range but seems pretty good pals with Millar. Would be an impressive signing but also quite injury prone iirc.
Never mind he's signed for Hamilton..

FFS he's just had Chris Millar and Michael Tidser playing behind him for most of the season, how much more creativity - and actual passing skill - can a forward reasonably expect at this level? You could certainly argue that having a shitebag manager didn't help any attacking player last season, but at the same time McHugh simply didn't made good enough runs to be found - he doesn't have the pace to get in behind defenders and doesn't come short to any great effect either. 
The problem with our attacking lies with the attackers themselves - the onus will be on Hopkin to sort that out on the training ground and get better options in as well. 

Yes I did exclude JJs awful approach to gameS, which I should have elduded to. We were hardly the most attacking minded team in the league, granted Tidser is probably one of the few in the league that can create something out of nothing at times, he was hardly performing at a level since the snakes days in charge where he was arguably at his best for us the season (as much as I hate to admit it)

Millar was a recycler if possession this season and maybe someone can provide stats on his assists this season but I’m struggling to think of any direct assists he made this year.

My optimism does lie mostly with Hopkin and what he gets out the players, even though it was only Rory McKeown, he showed a wanting to play for Hoppy, something I struggle to say that players displayed for JJ.

I’m happy Bobs staying, even if it is as a squad player, he’s at an age now where he has experience and can maybe help a younger striker through a game