The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Yes. Because trying to pretend your club is not close to financial ruin was most definitely a fishing trip.

What a state you are in and we are only at stage 1, there's 2 more. Stages to go.

RELEGATION

LIQUIDATION

CELEBRATION

mate how are we in financial ruin please explain this to me?

hahahahaha oaft, too easy lads, too easy x

Fall-kirk have no assets-fact. You don’t own the stadium, the playing squad under contract are worse than worthless (Paton, McLean et al), & your manager is 3 games away from getting a 100K payoff.

Where as the Mighty; we have an academy driven midfield dynamo, similar to McGinn minus the left foot, as our nest egg, with probably a few others in the wings. This is notwithstanding the cash which is currently falling from the Heavens down on Sinclair St.

Enjoy the Cairn Ryan Express.

21 minutes ago, Harold Ritchie said:

Duffy was, then he just became a pain in the arse.

Duffy was far from a popular appointment. 

I don't think Morton fans have ever liked one of their managers since I joined P&B, so will be a totally unique experience if Hopkin is successful.
There is a reason for that. We are so bad at picking managers that they either never manage again at any professional level or they slide down the leagues like Duffy, Mcinally and Mckinnon.

Ian McCall is probably the most successful manager post leaving Morton in my lifetime and he managed us for 17 games during our darkest days.

Screenshot_20190515-172134_Chrome.jpg

I think that’s an excellent appointment from Morton, hopefully he is provided the same time he was with us. No guarantees of instant success but you only have to look how he ultimately transformed the mood and mentality here at Livingston to see his qualities.

41 minutes ago, Harold Ritchie said:

Duffy was, then he just became a pain in the arse.

Morton fans, almost to a man, wanted Duffy punted down in League 1. He then won the title and was liked.

It then shifted dramatically from him being a great manager or a dinosaur, depending on form at the time.

17 minutes ago, port-ton said:

There is a reason for that. We are so bad at picking managers that they either never manage again at any professional level or they slide down the leagues like Duffy, Mcinally and Mckinnon.

Ian McCall is probably the most successful manager post leaving Morton in my lifetime and he managed us for 17 games during our darkest days.

Screenshot_20190515-172134_Chrome.jpg

That's an amazing hall of shame.

Obviously he had a small budget with Livingston as well, but I’m waiting to see what kind of budget he’s getting based on the players we bring in before declaring us anything close to certainties for the top four.
Getting a manager with a track record of success when working with the smallest full-time budget in the division before is obviously excellent news but he’d had a year to build and work with the spine of that squad in steamrollering League One before the fantastic season in the Championship, so while we couldn’t have hoped for someone with a better pedigree when we’re heading for a reduced budget and to be clear I’m very happy with the appointment, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect us to instantly do a Livingston or over-achieve to that extent.
If the league is as pish as this again next season then anyone remotely competent will make the top four so that’s a good sign, but I’m not expecting instant miracles.

Out of interest is the Livingston assistant joining him?

Hopkin swwms a good appt on the face of it. But as BPM is alluding to, the Martindale factor makes it a bit of an unknown. Its also unknown whether that Livi team was a bit of a perfect storm.

Can have no gripes about the appointment though even if it proves underwhelming.

Shree year deal though.... Is that a knee jerk to the McKinnon saga? Seems a long and possibly costly commitment

mate how are we in financial ruin please explain this to me?
I didn't say you were in financial ruin (yet) , I said you are close to it.

Your own Chairperson said you would have run out of cash had you not binned the academy,

You have spunked a fortune since then including paying off Hartley (60k), hiring McKinnon (100k), multiple failed teams and payoffs.

Losing hundreds of thousands per yer and transfer fees into the club are almost extinguished (clinging on to the Vaulks potential).

Now reduced income due to stinking the place out and being relegated.

On the slide.

At least you will get plenty of practice for your "fishing". At the seaside.

That's an amazing hall of shame.

Incorrect. Many Morton fans Still wanted the dinosaur punted after scraping to the title (only after the Chairman went out and got Peaso) for daring to lose 11 games in League 1.

It was some time later he astounded us, before reverting to type.

Hopkin swwms a good appt on the face of it. But as BPM is alluding to, the Martindale factor makes it a bit of an unknown. Its also unknown whether that Livi team was a bit of a perfect storm.

Can have no gripes about the appointment though even if it proves underwhelming.

Shree year deal though.... Is that a knee jerk to the McKinnon saga? Seems a long and possibly costly commitment
Doubt it would end up costly even if it bombed and he left early.

He has often talked about preferring 1 year deals for fairness and left the last few jobs by his own volition rather than being pushed (Bradford more relevant than Livi).

He has spoken about it taking time to build something. Think the length of contract is more a message to the support for desire to see this one through and asking for patience.

Screenshot_20190515-172134_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d7e8d2e1ad5c5ac33f969a027a7e8daa.jpg

Duffy, on achievements, has been the most successful Ton manager since the great Bernard Rooney: League Cup semi & reaching the POs. Moore blew it at Firhill in April 2013. Irons was at it, & McInally came against the best Peterheed team ever. McCall? Please....

Duffy, on achievements, has been the most successful Ton manager since the great Bernard Rooney: League Cup semi & reaching the POs. Moore blew it at Firhill in April 2013. Irons was at it, & McInally came against the best Peterheed team ever. McCall? Please....
I was talking about the most successful manager after leaving Morton, not the manager who's had the most success while managing Morton.