The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

13 hours ago, Harold Ritchie said:

We have to be in for Doolan with this new found cash & optimism. A top pro, goal scorer, pumped us just over a month ago, eager to prove Caldwell wrong etc. It’s all there & he’s better than McHugh. 

Doolan and McHugh in fact scored the exact same number of league goals this season - six - in a near identical amount of time on the pitch. Doolan was certainly better than McHugh at an earlier point in his career but that's no longer the case. We can and should do better than both of those jobbers. 

Edited by vikingTON

I'm happy for Mchugh to kick about as a squad player. Has looked better this year than last and did score double figures this season. ( whether or not he would be be happy to be 3rd choice striker, I'm not so sure)

Is Doolan better than McHugh at this moment in time, no for me! He is also 5/6 years older than Bob.

Overall, we should be looking for a better striker( or 2) overall to lead the line next season.  Denny was meant to be that striker but that was obviously a disaster and hopefully Hoppy has someone in mlnd, ( Would imagine Ryan Hardie will be a target)

I'm happy for Mchugh to kick about as a squad player. Has looked better this year than last and did score double figures this season. ( whether or not he would be be happy to be 3rd choice striker, I'm not so sure)
Is Doolan better than McHugh at this moment in time, no for me! He is also 5/6 years older than Bob.
Overall, we should be looking for a better striker( or 2) overall to lead the line next season.  Denny was meant to be that striker but that was obviously a disaster and hopefully Hoppy has someone in mlnd, ( Would imagine Ryan Hardie will be a target)
We won't be paying for a McHugh as back up. He could end up rejoining Falkirk for their trips to the seaside and would do well down there.

Also, not a chance of Hardie going to a Championship team next season.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We won't be paying for a McHugh as back up. He could end up rejoining Falkirk for their trips to the seaside and would do well down there.

Also, not a chance of Hardie going to a Championship team next season.

Why?  Is he good enough to be starting week in week out in  the Premiership next season?

Only 12 league starts for Livvy this season, and 7 appearances off the bench would suggest not.

Why?  Is he good enough to be starting week in week out in  the Premiership next season?
Only 12 league starts for Livvy this season, and 7 appearances off the bench would suggest not.

Injured until December, then fitness issues post injury, and not suited to the lone striker chasing hopeful long balls that Holt has adopted.

Expect a Hamilton/Ross County to be likely.

16 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Injured until December, then fitness issues post injury, and not suited to the lone striker chasing hopeful long balls that Holt has adopted.

Expect a Hamilton/Ross County to be likely.

Would be surprised if he is playing week in week out next year at that level but fair doos if he is!

Always liked him ever since he destroyed us at Starks a few years back!

Peter MacDonald hadn't been released by a relegation-battling shambles of an outfit for being too shite to get a game for them anymore. 

Swing and a miss then. 

MacDonald is irrelevant to how good Doolan could of would be for us. Don’t get hung up on him having *one* below average season.

But how your talking makes me think you’ve got a plethora of better options that I cannot wait to hear about.

MacDonald is irrelevant to how good Doolan could of would be for us. Don’t get hung up on him having *one* below average season.
But how your talking makes me think you’ve got a plethora of better options that I cannot wait to hear about.

I’d take Kris Doolan with one leg over what we had last season.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Peter MacDonald hadn't been released by a relegation-battling shambles of an outfit for being too shite to get a game for them anymore. 

Swing and a miss then. 

Why so combative all the time vt? It's a sure sign of insecurity. 

And that would be the relegation-battling shambles that trashed us 3-0 a few weeks back and finished the season cheek to cheek with us, would it? Looks like a perfect fit then.  :P

MacDonald was the comparison that someone wanted to use - the fact that it doesn't at all support the case for Doolan is unfortunate. But hardly surprising, given that the poster who made the comparison is an utter moron.

I can exclusively reveal that I'm not currently on the shortlist for the manager's job so no, the onus isn't actually on me to select our transfer targets for next season. But you just keep picking the first names that you recognise like it's a game of Football Manager and I'm sure it'll all work out well: having Neil McFarlane plodding around the middle of the park years after his prime was such a terrific success for the club in the past.  

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Why so combative all the time vt? It's a sure sign of insecurity. 

And that would be the relegation-battling shambles that trashed us 3-0 a few weeks back and finished the season cheek to cheek with us, would it? 

What on earth are you yammering on about now, 'cheek to cheek'? They finished below Morton where they had found themselves throughout the season after a season of desperate relegation struggles. Their squad is therefore inferior to ours before even accounting for all the points squandered by that Finnish dud in the dugout. The league table is very clear on those facts.

So if their cast-offs are the answer then the question can only be 'how do we get manage to relegated via the play-offs in the 2019/20 campaign?'

^^^ Wow, such aggression, so many issues.......  they could've based a whole series of Fraser around you. 

Morton finished fifth, Pertyck finished sixth.....   cheek to cheek. Separated by three whole points out of 108. Less than three per cent. With as poor a manager as ours. If you think that makes their squad clearly inferior to ours then you are thicker than I thought. 

Feel free to continue to prove it, you little ray of sunshine, you. 

MacDonald was the comparison that someone wanted to use - the fact that it doesn't at all support the case for Doolan is unfortunate. But hardly surprising, given that the poster who made the comparison is an utter moron.

I can exclusively reveal that I'm not currently on the shortlist for the manager's job so no, the onus isn't actually on me to select our transfer targets for next season. But you just keep picking the first names that you recognise like it's a game of Football Manager and I'm sure it'll all work out well: having Neil McFarlane plodding around the middle of the park years after his prime was such a terrific success for the club in the past.  

Firstly, Peaso was used as an example (and a great example at that) of a player at a similar stage of their career - a prolific fan favourite and winner.

I’m glad you can “exclusively reveal” that you would never have the intelligence to be a manger in the Scottish championship. Ironically, no surprise.

However whilst the onus of picking a new striker may not fall on your desk. The very fact that you are prepared suggest Doolan is shite and a waste of time would entail you have a list of alternatives...that we’re all still waiting to hear. Or at the very least, a positive thought that would actually contribute discussion in this forum.

Lastly, Neil McFarlane, a failed Dunoon farmer, is so far from what anyone is talking about in terms of Doolan/MacDonald. A man who was past his sell by when he was released by Hearts 5 years before he joined the famous.

Get in the sea you pessimistic w**kstain.

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

^^^ Wow, such aggression, so many issues.......  they could've based a whole series of Fraser around you. 

Morton finished fifth, Pertyck finished sixth.....   cheek to cheek. Separated by three whole points out of 108. Less than three per cent. With as poor a manager as ours. If you think that makes their squad clearly inferior to ours then you are thicker than I thought. 

Feel free to continue to prove it, you little ray of sunshine, you. 

Never heard of this 'Fraser' program tbh, sounds utterly beige though. 

I don't need to prove that their squad is clearly inferior to ours; we've literally just had 36 matches in which that claim has been demonstrated. That is how a league table works. And no amount of whataboutery on your part is going to change those straightforward facts. 

Gutted for you. 

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.193ffcb88922d447c70aabe54f40c685.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Jani_Uotinen said:

Firstly, Peaso was used as an example (and a great example at that) of a player at a similar stage of their career - a prolific fan favourite and winner.

It's not a great example at all, given that Peaso chose to leave a Morton side that had just finished second in the division after a highly successful season himself to play for the title favourites; as opposed to being released by a bunch of dung relegation strugglers. So not at a similar stage in their respective careers at all then.

I’m glad you can “exclusively reveal” that you would never have the intelligence to be a manger in the Scottish championship. Ironically, no surprise.

Bold move to question my intelligence when you've clearly taken your (wrong) definition of irony from an Alanis Morissette song. 

However whilst the onus of picking a new striker may not fall on your desk. The very fact that you are prepared suggest Doolan is shite and a waste of time would entail you have a list of alternatives...that we’re all still waiting to hear. 

Erm no it doesn't - the record currently shows that Doolan is currently only as good as Bob McHugh's campaign this season. Every signing in football is a gamble and there is of course a chance that Doolan might do better than that if we were to sign him, but given his age the odds of that happening are simply not good enough to justify signing him. 

I've got every confidence that a competent football manager would be able to find better bets than that from the countless free agents as well as transfer and loan listed players from higher divisions, all of whom will be available on the Championship market from next month. I think Doolan would be better option for someone like Raith or Airdrie who can't afford to be picky as ourselves. 

Lastly, Neil McFarlane, a failed Dunoon farmer, is so far from what anyone is talking about in terms of Doolan/MacDonald. A man who was past his sell by when he was released by Hearts 5 years before he joined the famous.

That'll be why Neil McFarlane was a key player in a strong Queen of the South side for years and even played in a Scottish Cup Final 13 months before joining Morton; as opposed to Kris Doolan who has spent the most recent 13 months getting relegated and warming the bench because he can't even get a game for that dung Partick Thistle outfit. 

The player who looks significantly closer to their sell by date in that comparison is your hero. 

Get in the sea you pessimistic w**kstain.

^^^ verge of tears

Edited by vikingTON