The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I got the impression that Warren Hawke was a well thought of" true" Morton man certainly as a player and then as an administrator.  What triggered this apparent change in attitude that sees supporters happy he is away. 

A: Just because he was a former player and got a business degree didn't make him a competent administrator. From the very beginning he was someone who talked a very good game but didn't have much to back it up with. 

So he'll no doubt be elevated to higher office within the SPFL or SFA in years to come. 

What’s the verdict on the Morton Club Together stuff? Just listened today to the Off the Ball with the guy from the campaign on there, and while the aim is obviously a good one there was a hell of a lot of vague rhetoric in there (e.g. lots of reference to “the Morton way”). 

Sounds like a positive step so all the best with it but I have to say I wasn’t hugely convinced by the pitch...

11 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

What’s the verdict on the Morton Club Together stuff? Just listened today to the Off the Ball with the guy from the campaign on there, and while the aim is obviously a good one there was a hell of a lot of vague rhetoric in there (e.g. lots of reference to “the Morton way”). 

Sounds like a positive step so all the best with it but I have to say I wasn’t hugely convinced by the pitch...

Yeah, the references to 'The Morton Way' have an undeniable whiff of birthday caird pish about them. It's hardly a deal-breaker though, if some people are going to be more likely to pledge as a result then I have no issue with it, provided that they're not going to demand some vague notion of a philosophy be imposed on every aspect of the club down the line.

While the proposals are vague and we're going to need more concrete details before the time comes for people to start making payments, there's a real feeling that the club is at a crossroads and I think they've obviously made the choice to just get things out there to gauge interest as quickly as possible. You could argue that being able to launch this with more clarity on what exactly their plan is and even more basic things like a better website etc could have seen a better response, but they clearly feel there was an urgency to get things moving.

With Hawke going over the weekend and lots of murmurings about the Easdales flying around it's looking likely that there's going to be changes taking place this summer anyway, sooner rather than later. I think regardless of whether Morton fans buy into every aspect of what MCT are saying, and whether other changes take place this summer aside from them, be that the Easdales or someone else taking a significant stake of the club from Rae/Golden Casket, the basic principle is a good thing.

Morton fans have been a disorganised rabble at each others throats for too long with existing fan organisations seen as lacking credibility for various reasons. Regardless of what it's going to mean in the end in terms of what kind of stake MCT gets in the club or what the long-term goal is, it's long past time that we got ourselves organised and had some kind of structure in place for fundraising. The support being too busy infighting hasn't helped at all with the Raes not being accountable to the support for the last two decades, and in the likely event that new investors are coming into the club this summer it only makes it more important for the fans to get a credible voice to get some oversight of the board. This needs to work and for now I'm willing to look beyond the vague nature of the proposals in terms of what MCT will do with a 15% stake and how they'd look to increase that long-term, because there's a bigger picture about the fanbase being prepared if any threats to the club's future emerge.

New manager list for me should be:

1. Hopkin

2. Goodwin

3. Hartley or D.Lennon

Clutching at straws with option 3 and Goodwin still has a year left but wants full time, possibly someone down south, f**k knows! Can’t think of anyone else out there!

Welcome Stevie Aitken, here’s a 2 year contract!

A great weekend for the club indeed, clear even to me a neutral like me. Pleased for you lot, but then I haven't felt joyous about my own team at all lately.

I dropped this on the supporters' forum already, but figured it might be a share here as well; I write a wee blog about special and otherwise interesting football kits with a weekly article posted each Monday, and I've recently covered Morton's old 1996/1997 shirt after discovering it shared its pattern and make with numerous other clubs up and down the leagues (including St Johnstone, Peterborough, Mansfield, Woking, and half of the Irish league). Thought it'd be of interest to any history buffs in this thread;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/04/29/greenock-morton-1996-1997-home-shirt/

As for the article on the pattern itself;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/04/14/the-mystery-of-the-lozenges/

As I'm a neutral, do let me know if I got anything wrong about the club!

20190414_140846.jpg

2 hours ago, TheWeGibbyEnd81 said:

Wow what a weekend that was being a Ton man. ...

The Snake relegates Falkirk.

Johansson gone with his puppet.

Dundee relegated.

We end up 5th.

Hawke gone at last.

St Mirren all but into a relegation playoff.

Why do we care about Dundee being relegated? Couldn’t care less about them tbh...

13 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

2 or 3 interested parties from overseas in talks about investment according to the Tele

Gourock?

8 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

For the joke to work you would have needed to say Dunoon or somewhere that's actually over the water from Greenock.

Nah, then I'd be crediting folk from Greenock with a modicum of intelligence, reading parts of this thread renders that as fanciful.