The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

In all seriousness, having had a day to reflect on it, I really think the board have done nothing wrong here. The situation playing out a couple of hours before a game makes us look like a circus but this is hardly Vladimir Romanov levels of meddling with a manager. There are several examples of clubs not selecting players in similar circumstances, for example Alan Hutton not getting a game at Aston Villa for a couple of years. That was over a further transfer fee being due rather than an automatic contract extension but the same principle applies.

The reality is that Johansson is an absolutely clueless manager and if he’s going to use this to portray himself as being unfairly forced to walk by a tyrannical chairman prior to the last game of the season rather than being sacked for being pish a day later then good luck to him; if any club is stupid enough to fall for it and give him another chance they’ll need plenty of it.

We could absolutely end up with another diddy in charge taking us down next season anyway, but we knew that budget cuts alongside Johansson in charge would make 8th the best case scenario and relegation far more likely than that. If we can get a manager with the slightest level of competence instead of a confirmed dud, we may be able to do better.

Edited by Dunning1874

The board, knowing a new manager was coming in, were definitely not wrong to not want Telfer definitely staying. I'm not as unsure about dictating to JJ who he plays as I was yesterday. Ultimately, he was on borrowed time anyways so his team selections ultimately meant f**k all. So off ye pop.

More and more, it seems like a ridiculously petty move from JJ and Houston, and idiotic into the bargain. Surely they'd have been due some sort of payoff when they were given their jotters. Just chucking it for an understandable move from the board?

44 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

More and more, it seems like a ridiculously petty move from JJ and Houston, and idiotic into the bargain. Surely they'd have been due some sort of payoff when they were given their jotters. Just chucking it for an understandable move from the board?

If their contract was up at the end of the season they wouldnt be due very much. Months wages maybe. As has been said, probably a good move for them to say that they werent being allowed to play the team  they wanted due to boardroom influence and resign on a point of principle

16 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Wasn't it a two year contract though?

Sounds like they were given contracts to the end of the season with the possibility of it being extended if the board were happy for another year. They definitely announced it as a 2 year deal at the time but seems like there were clauses to empty them early if need be. 

Afternoon gents. Hope you're pleased to have got shot of 'JJ' and 'Housty' and looking forward to seeing who replaces them.

It wouldn't be P&B if I didn't post this though, and you can be damn sure he'll already have an application in.

JS105943484.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Afternoon gents. Hope you're pleased to have got shot of 'JJ' and 'Housty' and looking forward to seeing who replaces them.

It wouldn't be P&B if I didn't post this though, and you can be damn sure he'll already have an application in.

JS105943484.jpg

I like Stevie Aitken TBH.

3 hours ago, Sting777 said:

If their contract was up at the end of the season they wouldnt be due very much. Months wages maybe. As has been said, probably a good move for them to say that they werent being allowed to play the team  they wanted due to boardroom influence and resign on a point of principle

This.

Duffy on Sportsound on Johansson leaving earlier:

“Finished above Falkirk, above Partick Thistle, two teams who have much bigger budgets than Morton believe me. Finished above Alloa, above Dunfermline eventually. I think it’s been a decent season for Morton. If it is down to the fans, I don’t know what they’re expecting.”

That’s why you’re no longer the manager here either, Jim. Anyone who thinks this has been a decent season hasn’t watched us and perhaps if he had a better grasp of what constitutes realistic expectations he might not have got himself sacked by overseeing a collapse when we should have been strolling into the playoffs.

We’re well rid of anyone with the attitude that plucky little Morton can’t possibly hope to compete with playoff contenders with huge budgets like, eh, Livingston and Ayr United.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Duffy on Sportsound on Johansson leaving earlier:

“Finished above Falkirk, above Partick Thistle, two teams who have much bigger budgets than Morton believe me. Finished above Alloa, above Dunfermline eventually. I think it’s been a decent season for Morton. If it is down to the fans, I don’t know what they’re expecting.”

That’s why you’re no longer the manager here either, Jim. Anyone who thinks this has been a decent season hasn’t watched us and perhaps if he had a better grasp of what constitutes realistic expectations he might not have got himself sacked by overseeing a collapse when we should have been strolling into the playoffs.

We’re well rid of anyone with the attitude that plucky little Morton can’t possibly hope to compete with playoff contenders with huge budgets like, eh, Livingston and Ayr United.

The Board are responsible for the fact that JJ  inherited a striker less bunch of crocks and error riddled nearly men. Duffy is quite right to imply that the Board are clearly deluded if they think our rag bag squad were capable of anything thing better than a top five finish. 

The Board and its sustainability spreadsheet obsessed acolytes deserve to be binned as well. You know it makes sense but are too much of a sycophantic toad to say so.