The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's not the board that goes around shunting central midfielders onto the wing and putting Tidser on the bench to play absolute dung like Dylan fucking Dykes. It's not the board whose turgid style of football is completely incapable of carving out decent goalscoring chances regardless of formation, team selection and bringing in his latest hotshot signing from the zombie outfit. The position of the club in August was absolutely fine; what has changed between now and then is the arrival of a complete and utter dud in the dugout.

It's no surprise though to see at least a section of the Morton fanbase buying into his wild deflection from getting horsed by pub teams. 

We let our two wide loan players go back to their respective clubs. Who was going to play in these wing positions? 

Tidser on the bench may have been down to the fact he wanted away to play for Falkirk and the club said no  - who knows? 

The club in August was beaten by Dumbarton

In my original post I said JJ has not set the heather alight, But if you can't see the big picture of where our problems lie then I can't help you

We let our two wide loan players go back to their respective clubs. Who was going to play in these wing positions? 

We were 25 days in to the transfer window on Saturday when he knew that McLean and Tiffoney would be leaving for months.

Us having no wingers on the 25th January is entirely the managers fault and frankly ludicrous.

9 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Tidser on the bench may have been down to the fact he wanted away to play for Falkirk and the club said no  - who knows? 

In my original post I said JJ has not set the heather alight, But if you can't see the big picture of where our problems lie then I can't help you

That’s a failure of the manager to get rid of 2 wingers early January and not have replaced them by the end of it. 

Yes, Dumbarton did beat us. Were you there? McKinnon sent half the youth team out for it. Even then they actually looked like they had a game plan 2nd half once they settled. 

27 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

If the picture of a disheveled orc on the blog really is one of you I think it might give your posts a bit more gravitas if you announced that you had binned your stylist instead of incessantl urging JJ s sacking. Self awareness should come first.

How exactly is it blatantly obvious that relationships have broken down and why, if you rate Tidser so highly, do you think he would sign a PCA with Falkirk before their punishment is announced and a stay in the seaside leagues a definite non starter?  In any event building a team around an ageing creative midfielder with no pace only makes sense if we have wingers, players who can work the channels etc. We don’t.

Colkitto has got it spot on, the Board have to change direction or be changed and that includes Prudence your mentor.

I’m a big fan of your belief that I’m somehow a happy clapper who defends the board at all costs just because I’ve seen through you, like many others.

Again, there are multiple valid criticisms of the board, but they’re only being brought up here to deflect from the manager’s failings. Michael Tidser has been misused for months because Johansson is clueless, not because of the board prioritising the youth set up to such an extent that it’s detrimental to the first team. That strategy being flawed, Warren Hawke being clueless and very possibly Crawford Rae being disinterested are medium to long term issues which don’t explain the short term problem causing bad results, which is Jonatan Johansson being a terrible manager.

You could change all of the issues with the board and Johansson would still be hopeless, therefore the board is not the primary issue here.

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Leaving aside the fact that the manager has had more than enough time to identify and bring in replacement players - nobody is forcing him to play a formation that requires wide players. If you don't have any - and also have a glut of capable central midfielders, which he also has - then you play a different formation such as a midfield diamond.

Shunting square pegs into round holes is a failure of management by a dud who has excelled in those since taking over. 

The team has gone backwards under his watch because he is hopelessly out of his depth at the job. That is clear for all but his few remaining fluffers to see and is in fact both the small and big picture of what has changed at the club in the past six months. The board is at fault for hiring an incompetent manager; the bulk of our problems can be amended by correcting that error ASAP. 

It might come across as if I'm a JJ fan boy - I'm not, as I'm as disappointed as anyone at our performance levels on the pitch.

My initial reaction was to those who were blaming JJ for Tidser going to Falkirk. In my opinion, he's totally blameless in that respect. For me Tidser going is down to the Chairman/Board for not matching the Falkirk offer. 

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes at Cappielow. We don't know Tidser reaction for not being released to join Falkirk right now instead of the Summer. By being benched it sounds as if something went on.

JJ not having the right players in to cover those who have left is down to him. It's his responsibility to have the players on the field to win the game. He took a gamble and so far it's not paid off. Lets see who arrives over the next couple of days and see if the wait is justified.

45 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Bit of a car crash of a post right there.

We let our wide players go, and haven't signed replacements. JJ culpable for dragging that on so long.

Tidser on the bench could be down to that. But what about the previous times JJ benched him? No dice.

Bringing up the Dumbarton result is laughable based onthe line up that night and the fact McKinnon wrote off that, and the other cup.

The manager is making a rip roaring arse of things and needs emptied immediately.

The board and the direction of the club also need sorted but that's not happening imminently, are we to just let the charlatan continue to drag us down in the meantime?

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I’m a big fan of your belief that I’m somehow a happy clapper who defends the board at all costs just because I’ve seen through you, like many others.

Again, there are multiple valid criticisms of the board, but they’re only being brought up here to deflect from the manager’s failings. Michael Tidser has been misused for months because Johansson is clueless, not because of the board prioritising the youth set up to such an extent that it’s detrimental to the first team. That strategy being flawed, Warren Hawke being clueless and very possibly Crawford Rae being disinterested are medium to long term issues which don’t explain the short term problem causing bad results, which is Jonatan Johansson being a terrible manager.

You could change all of the issues with the board and Johansson would still be hopeless, therefore the board is not the primary issue here.

None of that addresses the issue of Tidser potentially leaving though. If he leaves it will be because another club is offering a significantly better deal. 

I'm not at all trying to deflect from the criticisms of JJ. What he served up on Saturday was utterly depressing, and it comes after losing to East Fife in the cup (when he seemed to not even realise that attacking football could have been an option). He's been the most negative manager that I can remember, even worse than Duffy, and while I share many of his views about the quality of some of the players, his Craig Levein-esque approach will be about as successful as Levein was with Scotland. 

27 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Bit of a car crash of a post right there.

We let our wide players go, and haven't signed replacements. JJ culpable for dragging that on so long.

Tidser on the bench could be down to that. But what about the previous times JJ benched him? No dice.

Bringing up the Dumbarton result is laughable based onthe line up that night and the fact McKinnon wrote off that, and the other cup.

The manager is making a rip roaring arse of things and needs emptied immediately.

The board and the direction of the club also need sorted but that's not happening imminently, are we to just let the charlatan continue to drag us down in the meantime?

Not at all, I'm just not at the same stage as you in your dislike for JJ. I'm giving him the transfer window (as I've always said I would do) to see where we are and who he can bring in.

We're 1 point off 4th spot which isn't the end of the world and perhaps the gamble of waiting to bring in the right players will work out.

Ask me again this time next week and I could possibly give you a different perspective on things

13 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Not at all, I'm just not at the same stage as you in your dislike for JJ. I'm giving him the transfer window (as I've always said I would do) to see where we are and who he can bring in.

We're 1 point off 4th spot which isn't the end of the world and perhaps the gamble of waiting to bring in the right players will work out.

Ask me again this time next week and I could possibly give you a different perspective on things

Do you really think that JJ is all of a sudden going to pull super signings out the bag with 3 days left? He’s stated the funds just aren’t there for us to compete with other clubs. Anyone who comes in will be a cheap gamble. 

So far we’ve brought in 2 young players from Rangers who we haven’t seen much of, and the other a guy who texted JJ asking for a game. I highly doubt he has any good news for us in the next 3 days. 

5 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Do you really think that JJ is all of a sudden going to pull super signings out the bag with 3 days left? He’s stated the funds just aren’t there for us to compete with other clubs. Anyone who comes in will be a cheap gamble. 

So far we’ve brought in 2 young players from Rangers who we haven’t seen much of, and the other a guy who texted JJ asking for a game. I highly doubt he has any good news for us in the next 3 days. 

Why do you think that is? Is it JJ' ineptitude or lack of funds being released by the Board?

I can confirm the result against ourselves was an absolute non event. It was a bunch of kids, one of whom spent the evening being ripped a new arsehole by one of our biggest diddies in Bobby Barr. Morton's first team would comfortably sword us, even with JJ in charge and Tidser being played out of position/on the bench.

We now have one of the kids, who wasn't even worthy of a start that evening, leading the line for us.

However, I doubt there's a single Morton fan who'd choose keeping Johansson over keeping Tidser.
If the only way Michael Tidser is willing to remain at Morton over going to Falkirk is Jonatan Johansson leaving the club, the club are going to have to sack Johansson. People can complain that players shouldn't be able to wield that amount of power, but the fact is that Johansson is obviously a blithering incompetent while Tidser is obviously our best player
If the board back Johansson over Tidser than they're guaranteeing that a significant proportion of the support will turn against them and there's nothing they'll be able to do to get them back onside. A choice between our best player, a fan favourite with almost 250 games for the club.

fucking delicious

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

My initial reaction was to those who were blaming JJ for Tidser going to Falkirk. In my opinion, he's totally blameless in that respect. For me Tidser going is down to the Chairman/Board for not matching the Falkirk offer.

Why do you think Tidser wants to leave? I'll even give you three guesses.

18 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Bournemouth striker coming in on loan

Apparently he plays on either wing it behind the striker. Sounds like a similar role that he was trying to fill with Kiltie (we could do with 2 of those actually). 

22 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It’s become blatantly obvious that Tidser is desperate to get away from Johansson. He may not particularly want to leave Morton but if there's no prospect of Johansson being sacked then he'll feel he's being forced to go as it's the only way to escape his mismanagement.

This could easily blow up in the board's face. There's no amount of money Falkirk could offer to take Tidser now that would make the hounding they'll take from the fans worthwhile, however if Tidser does sign a pre-contract with them they may view it as preferable for him to go straight away considering everything that has gone on between the clubs this season, and Johansson may have no interest in working with him anymore. However, I doubt there's a single Morton fan who'd choose keeping Johansson over keeping Tidser.

If the only way Michael Tidser is willing to remain at Morton over going to Falkirk is Jonatan Johansson leaving the club, the club are going to have to sack Johansson. People can complain that players shouldn't be able to wield that amount of power, but the fact is that Johansson is obviously a blithering incompetent while Tidser is obviously our best player.

If the board back Johansson over Tidser than they're guaranteeing that a significant proportion of the support will turn against them and there's nothing they'll be able to do to get them back onside. A choice between our best player, a fan favourite with almost 250 games for the club, who started the season superbly under McKinnon, against the manager who has completely wasted him and has already got half the support wanting him sacked due to a succession of terrible results and performances. Choosing the James Grady figure whose sacking is already a matter of time would start a full scale sack the board revolt, and it's hard to see how they'd ever recover from it when some of them are already unpopular.

If they don't cut their losses and sack Johansson now they're just ensuring that they'll be getting hounded out of the club along with him when he inevitably goes a few months down the line.

THIS!

Completely spot on mate, they've only went and made a right f**k up of this, not that it surprises me, the whole fucking club is a mess!

22 hours ago, virginton said:

It's not the board that goes around shunting central midfielders onto the wing and putting Tidser on the bench to play absolute dung like Dylan fucking Dykes. It's not the board whose turgid style of football is completely incapable of carving out decent goalscoring chances regardless of formation, team selection and bringing in his latest hotshot signing from the zombie outfit. The position of the club in August was absolutely fine; what has changed between now and then is the arrival of a complete and utter dud in the dugout.

It's no surprise though to see at least a section of the Morton fanbase buying into his wild deflection from getting horsed by pub teams. 

JJ obviously isn't good enough but 

Who hired him?

Who are refusing to bag him?

Who are silent on 'cut the budget'?

Whilst you rightfully dislike JJ, to just gloss over the Board's role in all of this and the longer-term impact of their actions is stupid.

P.S. - He is no Michael Tidser but Dykes seems a decent player and definitely would rather have him in my team than some of the other charlatans.