The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

8 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Appointing McKinnon is the most Morton thing ever. No ambition yet again. As said in the post above, we’d be better off sticking with Duffy.

“It’s not about an individual, it’s about team work.” As long as the new guy does as the CEO and Director of Youth direct and also operates within the sustainability budget set by our accountant he will be fine. If we don’t succeed in the Championship he will get punted though the Board members will cling on. The current business model, which seems to focus on reducing costs, can only fund top flight football if we generate transfer income some of which is then invested in the first team budget and maybe even a shed for the manager.

You have to wonder how many knock backs we had and then who was 16th on the short list of interviewees 

Should stick with Duffy? I don't think there will be many clubs rushing to appoint him after these last two  final quarter seasons (despite  all his media  pals singing his praises). McKINNON will be an improvement

McKinnon finished 3rd in what should have been a two horse race and had United 4th when he was sacked. Maybe that's not a "disaster" but it's not good at all.

Doesn't seem any better than Duffy tbh, other than the fact Morton fans will give Ray more of a chance just because they're happy it's someone other than Duffy.

You wonder why exactly it took a whole month only to appoint an obvious candidate anyway.
He's an upgrade on Duffy, but still an uninspiring and decidedly average appointment. One excellent season with Raith, one good one bad one indifferent with Brechin and an absolute disaster at Dundee United. Meh.

Absolutely curious why you think he’s an upgrade on Duffy?
I’d be fuming if he was appointed at Falkirk.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You wonder why exactly it took a whole month only to appoint an obvious candidate anyway.

He's an upgrade on Duffy, but still an uninspiring and decidedly average appointment. One excellent season with Raith, one good one bad one indifferent with Brechin and an absolute disaster at Dundee United. Meh.

Do you have to wonder?

They clearly tried to get Hopkin, circumventing their much-ballyhooed recruitment process and leaving those  actually wanted the job (and players) in the lurch, failed to land Hopkin (or weren’t willing to wait on his holiday ending) and then reverted to the original applicants.

This whole thing has been worse than the SFA/Regan/O’Neil/McLeish farce, while the actual appointment is utterly deflating.

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Mainly due to that excellent season at Raith. While finishing fourth was a realistic target for Raith, the manner they did it with their tremendous record in the second half of the season is an indication that he might at some point be capable of overachieving, which Duffy was never going to do.

Going down the road of the obvious out of work Scottish candidates I'd far rather have McIntyre than McKinnon, but considering all the definitely ITK and not at all made up suggestions of Ally McCoist or Lee McCulloch it could have been far worse. It's hardly a coup of an appointment to get fans excited, but it's also no reason to bemoan the club lacking ambition and have a tantrum about refusing to buy season tickets. Happy to wait and see how it goes.

Do you have to wonder?
They clearly tried to get Hopkin, circumventing their much-ballyhooed recruitment process and leaving those  actually wanted the job (and players) in the lurch, failed to land Hopkin (or weren’t willing to wait on his holiday ending) and then reverted to the original applicants.
This whole thing has been worse than the SFA/Regan/O’Neil/McLeish farce, while the actual appointment is utterly deflating.
No it hasn't

Duffy does not have the mentality to succeed at this level any more.

2 end of season collapses. One snuck into the playoffs despite it, the other failed miserably. Forgoing trying to win a 2nd v 3rd clash to prioritise a cup game against Celtic where his media mates will be watching.

We plucked him from semi-retirement and that is where he should return.

Is McKinnon a big upgrade? Maybe not, it remains to be seen but he, and most others (except John Hughes) probably would be an upgrade on Duffy.

31 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Ray McKinnon is an awful appointment. 

It's not even official yet -we were never going to get much better than him so give the guy a feckin' chance.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Mainly due to that excellent season at Raith. While finishing fourth was a realistic target for Raith, the manner they did it with their tremendous record in the second half of the season is an indication that he might at some point be capable of overachieving, which Duffy was never going to do.

Duffy did manage to get you 4th though, which was also overachieving.

The good thing is at least McKinnon knows this league. He'll know the players and what he is up against to at least get us to the playoff's. 

For me not getting to the playoff's will be failure  next season. I really hope the board back him to the hilt and the fans get behind him

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Wasnt it heavily rumoured that Lee McCulloch was getting the job from people who have a high rate of getting these things right and even Jim Duffy suggested it. 

Perhaps Ray is 2nd or 3rd choice 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Going down the road of the obvious out of work Scottish candidates I'd far rather have McIntyre than McKinnon, but considering all the definitely ITK and not at all made up suggestions of Ally McCoist or Lee McCulloch it could have been far worse. It's hardly a coup of an appointment to get fans excited, but it's also no reason to bemoan the club lacking ambition and have a tantrum about refusing to buy season tickets. Happy to wait and see how it goes.

An excellent season at Raith which had a 14 game spell with only two wins, one against yourselves and Elgin, flattered to deceive for me in which loan signings in the Jan window and Jon Daly out pretty much turned his season around, pretty much the same at Utd with long win-less run in the league, horrible away form and rigid on the 4-2-3-1 when it was evident it wasnt working and funnily results changed when he did alter.  I cant believe we have a poster saying he wasn't a disaster at Utd.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club as I tend to think he resorts to safety first in his instructions to his players, still I doubt he wont have the Duffy lottery to see who is playing each week.

4 minutes ago, Walter said:
2 hours ago, #Gary said:
Ray McKinnon is an awful appointment. 

He's held three managerial posts in Scottish football, two successful and one unsuccessful. Why is he an awful appointment?

The definition of success is the achievement of results hoped for.  It’s not an awful appointment if we are not aiming for promotion but it is otherwise. 

He's held three managerial posts in Scottish football, two successful and one unsuccessful. Why is he an awful appointment?

Honestly? I don’t think he can motivate players. For me that was the problem at Dundee United imo....