The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

11 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Considering we sacked Duffy as soon as the season finished, I’d have expected us to have a new manager in place by now. As Piehutt said, I getting the feeling we were putting all of our eggs in the Hopkin basket and that’s not come off. So, what’s plan B?

I don’t know as much about plan A as it’s been reported that our board have been conducting interviews all day, Hopkin and Jim Goodwin amongst others quoted.

Yet Fitzy has said that the club will take about a week to sort through the cv’s of all applicants before beginning the interviewing process.  :huh: 

9 hours ago, niketon said:

Hearing new manager will be announced on Wednesday. No idea who the new man is though

We've been hearing a new manager might be announced this day or that for over a fortnight. It's getting boring now. I'll believe it when I see it on gmfc.net

You wonder why exactly it took a whole month only to appoint an obvious candidate anyway.

He's an upgrade on Duffy, but still an uninspiring and decidedly average appointment. One excellent season with Raith, one good one bad one indifferent with Brechin and an absolute disaster at Dundee United. Meh.

Ray McKinnon to appear at Cappielow suspiciously overweight, speaking of taking his sacking badly at DU. To then claw his own face off revealing David Hopkin underneath IMO.

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You wonder why exactly it took a whole month only to appoint an obvious candidate anyway.

He's an upgrade on Duffy, but still an uninspiring and decidedly average appointment. One excellent season with Raith, one good one bad one indifferent with Brechin and an absolute disaster at Dundee United. Meh.

Is he bringing Laurie Ellis with Him?

Decent enough. Read so much rubbish on here as if we were about to give some new manager a massive budget.

He is around the level we can afford and assume those wishing for Hopkins forget the abuse he got when caretaker!

At worst he will have money to spend at Livingston- at best he will get decent salary by moving back to England.

What we need now is for everyone to get behind the new manager and for all to actually come out and support at the home games- I know a few guys on this forum actually do not financially support the team by paying and watching.

Google the Morton accounts- spectator income gives a very good guide to where we are. Hate to say it but compare it then to St Mirren who we seem to measure ourselves against.

38 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

He.'s an upgrade on Duffy, but still an uninspiring and decidedly average appointment. 

What do people expect?  To most prospective candidates for the job Morton will look an uninspiring and decidedly average career choice.

Could be a good fit then.

From the outside, McKinnon doesn't look a bad appointment.

He will be wanting to prove himself after his United shambles, and I think most would recognise that the shit show he found himself in was not all of his own making.

After listening to Duffy on Sportsound, it would be interesting to know where the board are expecting to finish next (this?) season.

20 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Appointing McKinnon is the most Morton thing ever. No ambition yet again. As said in the post above, we’d be better off sticking with Duffy.

Who was your suggestion?

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I wouldn't consider McKinnon a disaster at United. He failed to achieve what was required but it was a marginal failure rather than a disaster. In other circumstances he'd have been given longer but there was a feeling at Tannadice last season that we had to get promoted or else which is why the plug was pulled so soon. With hindsight we'd have stood a far better chance of going up if we'd just stuck with McKinnon.