The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

What I would find disappointing, if I were a Morton fan, is that three times in the last decade (or so) when the club had momentum its been squandered. Youre certainly in the doldrums at present and have to hope that when the next surge comes along you can fully capitalize on it.

Ftfy

I see what you’ve done there. You’ve added “not” at the start of my post to make it look like I think the opposite of what I actually posted.

That’s very clever.

John Baird is our second-top scorer in the league, 2 goals behind Harkins, 1 ahead of Oliver.

It's definitely over-simplifying the variations of a 36-game league, but in general: if you score 50 goals*, you make the play-offs. This season we have 47.

There's 1 game left obviously, but as it stands, this season has actually been Duffy's best 2nd-tier season in terms of Goals Scored as well as Goals Conceded (albeit we have 2 points less than last season so far).

CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw.jpg

*St Mirren the outlier, who scored 52 goals but also had a negative goal difference.

Edited by tonnitus

1 hour ago, btb said:

What I would find disappointing, if I were a Morton fan, is that three times in the last decade (or so) when the club had momentum its been squandered. Youre certainly in the doldrums at present and have to hope that when the next surge comes along you can fully capitalize on it.

Absolutely. I get that wind ups are natural at times like this, but I guess that from the outside looking in people genuinely believe the 'bottle merchants' tag which is applied to Morton. It's a label that massively lets our board and respective managers off the hook.

While it certainly was the case that the bottle of players was one of our problems in the mid-noughties, mentality of the squad has nothing to do with the last two seasons going to shit. Every time Morton have squandered momentum since the Raes took over it's been down to incompetence in the boardroom or in the dugout. Even when we were absolute bottle merchants from 2004-07, it was down to the managers at that time: McCormack losing the plot in 03/04 followed by the appointment of McInally, who was just a fucking terrible manager who to the surprise of no one is still bottling promotion with Peterhead. The f**k ups since have just been a result of not being good enough, which has stemmed from the board.

There's only a mentality problem at Morton in the sense of the fish rotting from the head down from the boardroom. Change at that level can change the culture of accepting failure that saw both of the above managers rewarded for failure before being sacked too late, parallels there with Duffy being given a new contract right on the back of our worst run of results in 25 years. Our problem is incompetence and the current board have had far too many chances to fix it. All that squandered momentum comes back to their decisions. It's time to go.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I see what you’ve done there. You’ve added “not” at the start of my post to make it look like I think the opposite of what I actually posted.

That’s very clever.

Sherlock Holmes has f**k all on you.

11 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Sherlock Holmes has f**k all on you.

Yes, because that was a 100% genuine post and certainly not me laughing at the sort of wit that was last funny when Wayne's World was still relevant.

You're not Brian, by any chance?

18 hours ago, tonnitus said:

John Baird is our second-top scorer in the league, 2 goals behind Harkins, 1 ahead of Oliver.

It's definitely over-simplifying the variations of a 36-game league, but in general: if you score 50 goals*, you make the play-offs. This season we have 47.

There's 1 game left obviously, but as it stands, this season has actually been Duffy's best 2nd-tier season in terms of Goals Scored as well as Goals Conceded (albeit we have 2 points less than last season so far).

CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw.jpg

*St Mirren the outlier, who scored 52 goals but also had a negative goal difference.

We were a bit of an exception last season though as a huge percentage of those 52 goals came in the last 14 games when we were dishing out shoeings to teams. 

15 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Did he not sign a two year extension on the Monday after we beat St. Mirren 4-1 back in August?

He did. On the back of a terrible run of results including the previous season. F*** knows why the Board/Rae thought it was worthwhile giving him another deal at that point.