The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, adventpc said:

brief highlights from saturday....warriors tv

Warriors TV

Thanks for that. 

Once again it puts us to shame that we have nothing like that.

A lot of good things happening at Morton but its quite embarrassing that we don't have a highlights/Pre and Post match media service. Yes the reports from Jonathan are good and a massive improvement on before, but still a long way behind most other clubs in the SPFL. We need to rely on other teams highlights packages which is ridiculous.

Would like to think its on the agenda, i know its been raised multiple times.

No disrespect to Stenny, but if a league 2 club can produce something like that, then surely a Championship club that has aspirations of promotion should have something similar.

8 hours ago, madton said:

Great player.

Bags of energy, comfortable on the ball, good tackler and covers every blade of grass. Very much a box to box midfielder.

His form did dip towards the end of the season, along with the rest of the squad but overall he was great for us and should do well for you.

Sounds promising, been missing a box-to-box midfielder since we sold Jackson Irvine.

17 hours ago, madton said:

Thanks for that. 

A lot of good things happening at Morton but its quite embarrassing that we don't have a highlights/Pre and Post match media service. Yes the reports from Jonathan are good and a massive improvement on before, but still a long way behind most other clubs in the SPFL. We need to rely on other teams highlights packages which is ridiculous.

No disrespect to Stenny, but if a league 2 club can produce something like that, then surely a Championship club that has aspirations of promotion should have something similar.

thanx for ur comments..much apprieciated:thumsup2

Pretty fearful of you lot this season. I think that front 3 looks unreal with Thomson, McHugh and Quitongo. Forbes and Harkins in the midfield looks creative. Have you managed to keep a hold of that penalty box poacher O'Ware so far. Morton could easily win the league.

8 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Pretty fearful of you lot this season. I think that front 3 looks unreal with Thomson, McHugh and Quitongo. Forbes and Harkins in the midfield looks creative. Have you managed to keep a hold of that penalty box poacher O'Ware so far. Morton could easily win the league.

O'Ware is contracted for another year yes. The front 3 could be good and Garys Oliver and Harkins are there as well. Tidser could easily occupy Forbes or Harkins spots in midfield as well.

Defence and goalkeeper still looking a bit weak in depth but it's interesting to see someone other than Morton fans taking us up a bit. Most people are concentrating on the media favourites Dundee Utd, skunks and Falkirk. I think many basically have us written off already including the bookies. I think Morton might be the value bet at 16/1 possibly at each way.

Edited by GiGi

20 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Jamie Lindsay any good? We've signed him on loan this season.

Cracking player mate, incredible workrate off and on the ball, skillful and like's to take a man on, only downside is his finishing but you've snapped up a wee belter there, we really wanted him back but was never going to happen.

Edited by M0rtonfc

12 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

You missed Gary Oliver also so our striking options comprise Thomson, McHugh, Quitongo and Oliver. In addition, whilst he is perhaps not quite ready, we have a young lad (17?) from our youth set up, Ben Armour who has scored in two out of our three bounce games and looks extremely promising for the near future. I don't see any other club with better options upfront.  

Our two main central defence guys in O'Ware and Kilday had ankle ops immediately after the end of the season but both are just about there.   

Last season O'Ware was really the sole aerial threat in the box for Forbes to find but this season we will have Thomson there as well, not to mention Harkins and Tidser who can both ping a decent ball in as well as Forbes.

Last year we just ran out of steam after the win over Falkirk towards the end of March.  That was because we had to rely on essentially the same 13/14 players throughout a long season when you include cup runs because of injuries and the fringe players were not great.  This season on the face of it we have far more options for squad rotation.  

26 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Squad is coming together nicely on paper. Just need to hope they continue to gel. Defence still needs upgraded with hopefully a new first choice keeper and experienced centre back coming in. Ideally another centre mid in the mould of murdoch and a wide midfielder would bring another option. 

Most folk are talking about St.Mirren, Utd, Dunfermline and Falkirk while we are quietly going about our business. Happy for that to continue. 

5 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

You missed Gary Oliver also so our striking options comprise Thomson, McHugh, Quitongo and Oliver. In addition, whilst he is perhaps not quite ready, we have a young lad (17?) from our youth set up, Ben Armour who has scored in two out of our three bounce games and looks extremely promising for the near future. I don't see any other club with better options upfront.  

Our two main central defence guys in O'Ware and Kilday had ankle ops immediately after the end of the season but both are just about there.   

Last season O'Ware was really the sole aerial threat in the box for Forbes to find but this season we will have Thomson there as well, not to mention Harkins and Tidser who can both ping a decent ball in as well as Forbes.

Last year we just ran out of steam after the win over Falkirk towards the end of March.  That was because we had to rely on essentially the same 13/14 players throughout a long season when you include cup runs because of injuries and the fringe players were not great.  This season on the face of it we have far more options for squad rotation.  

Any update on more additions to the squad and what areas the management team have identified as needing strengthening? 

1 minute ago, Mr.Blue said:

Squad is coming together nicely on paper. Just need to hope they continue to gel. Defence still needs upgraded with hopefully a new first choice keeper and experienced centre back coming in. Ideally another centre mid in the mould of murdoch and a wide midfielder would bring another option. 

Most folk are talking about St.Mirren, Utd, Dunfermline and Falkirk while we are quietly going about our business. Happy for that to continue. 

Aye absolutely. I think it helped that Thompson was signed on a pre-contract so opposing fans forgot about it. Also, McHugh was seen as on his way down at Falkirk but if Duffy can put an arm around his shoulder he could be lethal. His goal on Saturday was a stunner.

But if I was a Morton fan I would want a new keeper. That Gaston is an utter gimp. They short sleeves and low-ish socks make me want to throw up.

26 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Aye absolutely. I think it helped that Thompson was signed on a pre-contract so opposing fans forgot about it. Also, McHugh was seen as on his way down at Falkirk but if Duffy can put an arm around his shoulder he could be lethal. His goal on Saturday was a stunner.

But if I was a Morton fan I would want a new keeper. That Gaston is an utter gimp. They short sleeves and low-ish socks make me want to throw up.

A tad harsh! Since his time here he's probably won us more points than he's cost us but if we are going to improve this season we need better. I'd imagine Duffy feels similar after dropping him for the second play off game

21 hours ago, madton said:

Thanks for that. 

Ayr United Media produce match highlights for each game, usually over 5 minutes of it, plus post-match interviews with both managers (Aside from a perma-raging Neil Lennon, furious that a band of part-time diddies have just left Easter Road with 3 points).

Whilst these highlights are great and are now part of the modern game, the club actually have nothing to do with it. Those who produce the highlights do so out of a love of the club rather than 'for' the club. 

39 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Moffat scoring against Morton again.

You guys must have fucked him off something odd.

He loves a goal against us. Thought we'd got off lightly when he signed for Ayr Utd. 

Edited by Scosha

12 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Moffat scoring against Morton again.

You guys must have fucked him off something odd.

Morton fielded a team with 2 trialists and 4 boys from our under 20s, two of them in defence.  We had no recognised central defenders on the park.  Having said that Ayr looked quite good and I would fancy them to do well in League 1.  Moffat is definitely going to score goals at that level.