The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Nice 0-3 goal win for the Ton in a pre-season away game to Stenny.  Goal of the season from McHugh and new boy Thomson grabbed the 2nd with a header, with up and coming Ben Armour getting his first senior goal. 

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Nice 0-3 goal win for the Ton in a pre-season away game to Stenny.  Goal of the season from McHugh and new boy Thomson grabbed the 2nd with a header, with up and coming Ben Armour getting his first senior goal. 

Where did Thommo play?

Where did Thommo play?

He started left of a front 3 with McHugh playing through the middle although they swapped around a fair bit.

Was a proper 4-3-3 from Morton today rather than a 4-5-1 if that makes sense with all 3 staying relatively high up the pitch. Was some strike from McHugh in what was an extremely comfortable win for Morton. Harkins was sitting in front of the back 4 and completely strolled it although Stenny were utter shite.

12 minutes ago, Russ said:

He started left of a front 3 with McHugh playing through the middle although they swapped around a fair bit.

Was a proper 4-3-3 from Morton today rather than a 4-5-1 if that makes sense with all 3 staying relatively high up the pitch. Was some strike from McHugh in what was an extremely comfortable win for Morton. Harkins was sitting in front of the back 4 and completely strolled it although Stenny were utter shite.

I feel Morton will be a force this season 

Harkins playing just in front the back four is perfect for him. I've never doubted his ability,just don't ask him to run about

Obviously it's just a friendly but yet another warning to those slagging off Harkins and McHugh.

Absolutely think Morton will be in the mix around the play off places at least this coming season.

My real fear is McHugh coming back to haunt us!

I can't see Harkins in that quarter-back position as well as Forbes working in the same team at this level, but it'll sword seaside league outfits no bother. The ability of our forwards to rotate positions during the match is pretty exciting though. If we didn't have Tiffoney as one of the front three then it'd have been much more effective today.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

I can't see Harkins in that quarter-back position as well as Forbes working in the same team at this level, but it'll sword seaside league outfits no bother. The ability of our forwards to rotate positions during the match is pretty exciting though. If we didn't have Tiffoney as one of the front three then it'd have been much more effective today.

Is that due to their lack of pace/mobility? I do think we need another CM, but what player would you drop out of Harkins/Forbes if this system is going to be used? Exciting that we are now able to change it up and use players in different formations. 

6 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is that due to their lack of pace/mobility? I do think we need another CM, but what player would you drop out of Harkins/Forbes if this system is going to be used? Exciting that we are now able to change it up and use players in different formations. 

Plus we had Kilday, O'Ware and Quitongo sat in the stand.  Was impressed by the young lads who came on as well.  That's two goals in three 20 minute appearances for Armour and David Anderson looked to have a bit of dig and kept it simple very well.

Edited by Tonsilitis

Scoring goals was a major issue for a large part of last season.

I know it's early days, but it seems like we will be so much better off up top this season.

11 goals against Thistle, Airdrie and Stenny is a promising start to pre season.

Add in Quitongo and it's looking good.

Edited by madton

36 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

Plus we had Kilday, O'Ware and Quitongo sat in the stand.  Was impressed by the young lads who came on as well.  That's two goals in three 20 minute appearances for Armour and David Anderson looked to have a bit of dig and kept it simple very well.

Langan was pretty decent as well. I thought Darren Hynes was good at right back.

I think that managers at our level will catch on to it and just mark him and/or Forbes from goal kicks. The short corner routine set-piece that undid Queen of the South at Palmerston last season got sussed out within literally two rounds of the league campaign. Stenny pressed often today but weren't good enough as a side to pull it off - although they should have still got a goal from forcing an error from Gaston. Early days for the Morton side of course but we'd have caused a lot of problems for ourselves playing that way against Championship opponents.

Harkins looks great when he has the ball but when even the Stenny midfield managed a simple one-two pass to get past him he looked like a dad puffing along at a game of fives tbh. Forbes looks like a superb athlete by comparison.

We put out an ideal lineup IMO for dismantling seaside league teams in the cup but we'd probably get murdered playing both of them in ordinary league games. Tidser will surely step in for one of them; I'd also like a Lindsay type of player to be added to our first team options as well.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Harkins looks great when he has the ball but when even the Stenny midfield managed a simple one-two pass to get past him he looked like a dad puffing along at a game of fives tbh. 

Yeah, he's fucked now, still do a job for you bunch of donkeys though. I'm happy that we got the best years out of him, great player. IMO.

Not sure that spending a £100k transfer fee for a player to fail to get you out of the league, leading to the club going into administration counts as a good deal tbh.

Call me picky.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Not sure that spending a £100k transfer fee for a player to fail to get you out of the league, leading to the club going into administration counts as a good deal tbh.

Call me picky.

Worth every penny. IMO, as it's all worked out fine in the end. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

Only the big leagues get second tiers in the game. This is never, ever happening.