The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Surely we could take a punt on David Templeton? Give him a deal till January to prove his fitness/can still play to a decent standard and if so get him signed up for the rest of the campaign.
As much as we need a striker/winger I can maybe understand why Duffy felt we needed someone in at centre half. Lamie appears to be injured again, and Russell will be suspended for Saturday. So that'd leave us with Strapp at left back and I don't think it'd be a good idea to put him in against Dunfermline.

Lamie is struggling with an injury, Kilday picked up a knock on Saturday, none of our centre-backs have performed well in the league this season, we didn't replace Luca in the summer, we have next to no defensive cover at the moment - of course a central defender is a priority for us right now. I know our defenders have made great improvements there in recent times, but we've been a complete mess there in recent weeks (conceding 8 goals in 3 games). It's far from just being about the centre-back position, but there is certainly a huge need there. Whether Gunning is the answer I have no idea, I would have much rather had someone like Balatoni, but we absolutely need someone in there. The problem in other positions is mostly that we brought in replacements that aren't up to it, in defence we simply didn't replace our best defender from last season. 

We also desperately need a striker of a better quality than Kudos, and forwards/wingers of better quality than McDonut and McAleer, but it doesn't take away from our need to replace Luca. 

The need to replace Luca isn't as important as having NO goalscorer. The defence have been under a ridiculous amount of pressure in every game. Needless at times too, and under that much pressure, mistakes are understandable.

Of course, forgetting all of that, what about replacements for McManus, Samuel and Johnstone? Because that certainly hasn't happened. What about competent replacements on the wings?

Our defence are under pressure because there's little in front of them and find teams coming at them constantly. This needs serious work. I firmly believe another manager can get that defence working if they manage to do something about what's in front of them.

An utterly shite defender to make things worse certainly isn't the answer.

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

The need to replace Luca isn't as important as having NO goalscorer. The defence have been under a ridiculous amount of pressure in every game. Needless at times too, and under that much pressure, mistakes are understandable.

Of course, forgetting all of that, what about replacements for McManus, Samuel and Johnstone? Because that certainly hasn't happened. What about competent replacements on the wings?

Our defence are under pressure because there's little in front of them and find teams coming at them constantly. This needs serious work. I firmly believe another manager can get that defence working if they manage to do something about what's in front of them.

An utterly shite defender to make things worse certainly isn't the answer.

The likelihood is that this decision has been made on the back of the injuries to Lamie and Kilday. We've already been creaking at the back in the last few weeks, and if either of those two are out then there simply isn't a replacement in the squad. We, of course, haven't replaced players well in other positions, especially in attack. Kudos looked in the same bracket as a Toto or Coakley on Saturday. Also, Tidser not performing in our midfield is a disaster for us. There are problems all over the pitch at the moment, but I don't really value one over the other right now. The reality is that we probably need at least 3 quality players, and one of those has to be in defence. 

I'd have preferred a striker/winger, but we have been needing at least another body in defence. I think Gunning could do alright at this level, despite looking like he'd never played football before when he actually played for Dundee United. If there's one thing Duffy is competent at it's working with centre backs, so hopefully he's able to get a bit more out of him than others have in recent years. 

I wonder if he knows what to do when the opposition cross the ball? 

13 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I thought Gunning was a left back? Am I very much mistaken, or has he played there in the past?

Pretty sure he played at centre back but could fill in at left back. 

Decent player a few years ago, pretty sure it was his off field antics that were the problem.

You'd need to ask United fans but I'm pretty sure they were glad to see the back of him after his second spell there.

10 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Good experience in Gunning but I'm presuming he's only signing due to injuries?

Wish half the team would get injured if that's the situation.

Depends whether you consider the experience of being a relentless fud counts as "good experience".

Pros: Decent height, decent pace, two legs.

Cons: Inability to head the ball in desired direction, needs 30 seconds minimum to decide where to pass (this followed by ludicrous backpass or similar Hollywood pass 70 yards into touch), fud, complete lack of discipline, inability to accept blame for errors instead preferring to argue (and occasionally fight) with colleagues, does not give a shit, loves a corner (bonus point for extravagant OG attempts from said corners), lack of introspection, emotional incontinence (probable bladder incontinence NOT confirmed), enjoys arguing with officials whilst ball is in play (also colleagues and fans), fud, frequent chronic niggling injuries (real and imagined). 

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Depends whether you consider the experience of being a relentless fud counts as "good experience".

Pros: Decent height, decent pace, two legs.

Cons: Inability to head the ball in desired direction, needs 30 seconds minimum to decide where to pass (this followed by ludicrous backpass or similar Hollywood pass 70 yards into touch), fud, complete lack of discipline, inability to accept blame for errors instead preferring to argue (and occasionally fight) with colleagues, does not give a shit, loves a corner (bonus point for extravagant OG attempts from said corners), lack of introspection, emotional incontinence (probable bladder incontinence NOT confirmed), enjoys arguing with officials whilst ball is in play (also colleagues and fans), fud, frequent chronic niggling injuries (real and imagined). 

I like him already.