The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

My personal preference would be Jack Ross - he came in far too late to have any chance of saving Alloa, but their form did improve and what we need is someone who can grind out points with a limited squad.

Regardless of who it is, we need to learn from when we appointed Shiels. We need a manager who can organise a defence and effectively shitfest their way to wins rather than someone who has a philosophy on a passing game they'll refuse to deviate from in any circumstances, such as having a squad incapable of playing that way. Therefore, while I'd be happy to get him if we were looking for a manager in the close season, it's a massive no to Yogi Hughes.

There are many variables that can happen because football as they say is a funny old game. The young lads can show they really are wiz kids, our rivals can collapse or maybe Duffy will pull a couple of decent quality signings out of nowhere.

But being realistic, we really look doomed to the point I fear even a January transfer window won't save us.

Duffy will inevitably go because Dougie will use his sacking to appease what's left of the support as results go from bad to worse over the weeks ahead. Duffy won't be too bothered in the sense that he will be walking away with about 18 months wages in his hip pocket.

Haven't a clue who will replace Duffy but you can guarantee it won't be someone in a job right now. Our "saviour" will be someone out of work at present

I really don't see any light at the end of this particular tunnel as the close season has been a monumental mess. I can't even try and put a positive spin on this as the thought of the seaside leagues fills me with utter dread. And that's where we're heading regardless who takes over from Duffy

Edited by Colkitto

5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

There are many variables that can happen because football as they say is a funny old game. The young lads can show they really are wiz kids, our rivals can collapse or maybe Duffy will pull a couple of decent quality signings out of nowhere.

But being realistic, we really look doomed to the point I fear even a January transfer window won't save us.

Duffy will inevitably go because Dougie will use his sacking to appease what's left of the support as results go from bad to worse over the weeks ahead. Duffy won't be too bothered in the sense that he will be walking away with about 18 months wages in his hip pocket.

Haven't a clue who will replace Duffy but you can guarantee it won't be someone in a job right now. Our "saviour" will be someone out of work at present

I really don't see any light at the end of this particular tunnel as the close season has been a monumental mess. I can't even try and put a positive spin on this as the thought of the seaside leagues fills me with utter dread. And that's where we're heading regardless who takes over from Duffy

Calm down dear, it's only September.

6 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

A half decent manager could make a start on getting some clean sheets together I reckon, and then work from there.

Indeed. We've lost two players from the defence which only conceded 42 goals last season, keeping 11 clean sheets. Aye, one of them was our best centre back, but the other was Michael Miller who was a liability himself and the remaining defensive personnel were all clearly competent at least for us to have had that kind of record - Kilday, Lamie, O'Ware and Russell all featured regularly last season when the defence was rock solid.

If you concede the occasional goal from a cross with the opposition having a free header you can put that down to individual errors by players which are outwith the control of the manager. When you've conceded nine goals in five games and eight of them have been from crosses into the box, it's quite evidently an organisational issue. He had no problem with it last season so I don't know what's changed, but Duffy has clearly lost his grip on the organisation of the defence - that's something a change of manager can solve.

Defence also starts from the front. We have absolutely nothing in the final third. We fling the ball forward, it comes straight back and our defence is constantly under pressure. No hold up attacker, no set of competent wingers to take the ball and run, what an arse he's made of it.

Duffy at least got the shape right on Saturday, but got the personnel wrong as usual. Starting Kudus Oyenuga is a sackable offence itself: he offers absolutely nothing. Duffy is only now in a state of desperation switching between different formations (three over the past 180 minutes) but it's too late to be convincing. A competent manager with a fit squad could make a decent fist of things, but would still have a thin squad with mostly crap options in attacking areas, there's no escaping that. There's no reason to think Duffy could be that manager based on his hapless predicament now and no good reason to keep him on anyway. He after all made this situation through his crap decisions and should carry the can. Let's deal with the matter of accountability first and then we can deal with fixing the mess. 

Edited by vikingTON

I am not usually one to get into the get rid of the manager, I cannot be bothered with all the arguments, I am not a happy clapper either.
I'm a football fan and have always gave the club support, come Saturday I will be more than happy to tell the Duffster to GTF....the warning signs were here as early as fcuking June! And maybe even February when it was clearly evident that we need a better type of player in! Not a better type or style of player has been delivered.
He has done nothing to try and take this club forward apart from signing out and out duds! McDout, Olivet, Kudus! Fcuking Kudus! Totally Chambolic close season.
Embarrassing Jim, you and your lackie Hadgie can absolutely get tae! Surely the message is hitting home or they are in complete denial or they probably don't give a toss.
Jim Duffy, Craig McPherson get in the sea now, because come t-time Saturday you will surely be ready for it

10 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:

Pump dunfermline on saturday and reach the semi next tuesday and things will be rosey again ..... emoji120.png

No it won't. IF the unlikely did happen and we beat Dunfermline and and Dundee Utd it would only be papering over the cracks which the board have been doing and getting away with for years.

Gaving Gunning supposedly signing today. I still reckon it's an organisational issue with the defence rather than personnel and we know his, erm, reputation among Dundee United fans, however if he does better alongside Kilday than O'Ware has so far then fine, provided he doesn't decide to catch the ball then walk off for a laugh.

Signing a centre forward or three remains the priority. Centre back is probably the last area we needed to strengthen despite our troubles so far but we know there's a still a good bit of a budget Duffy just hasn't bothered to use so this shouldn't stop us adding more

Edited by Dunning1874