The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

So what were the signings of Peaso, Tidser, Forbes, the punting of Barrowman and SC and the switching of Lamie to centre back all about then? So mistakes were made,, it happens just like your memory about my supposed non attendance

Ignoring the fact that you literally didn't pick up on anything I said, I find it hilarious that you think Duffy should be applauded for switching Lamie to centre back, a position which he played his entire footballing career at before being shafted to left back be the aforementioned Duffy for no other reason than he had failed miserably to build a balanced squad and had no natural left backs.

Ignoring the fact that you literally didn't pick up on anything I said, I find it hilarious that you think Duffy should be applauded for switching Lamie to centre back, a position which he played his entire footballing career at before being shafted to left back be the aforementioned Duffy for no other reason than he had failed miserably to build a balanced squad and had no natural left backs.

Pot kettle I think sunshine. But then your name is all about how information should be prioritised and structured. So just continue to leave out or ignore the positives and continue to have a good old bitch about JD.

Pot kettle I think sunshine. But then your name is all about how information should be prioritised and structured. So just continue to leave out or ignore the positives and continue to have a good old bitch about JD.

Why did you lie about Jim Duffy's career win rate ?

Why did you lie about Jim Duffy's career win rate ?

As I recall I said that it compared favourably with his peers. Didn't think that the likes of Burchill fell to be considered but happy for you to set out the stats and demonstrate how far out JD win rate is in comparison to the rest. Happy for you to weight Premier/ Championship etc if you want.

I heard in the Patter Bar today that Jim Duffy is in advanced talks with representatives of J V of H. It is anticipated that Duffy can tempt him from retirement to help the Greenock club's push for the Premiership next season

Step away from the drinks cabinet and stay out of the Patter Bar!

More patter that a fortnights rain

As I recall I said that it compared favourably with his peers. Didn't think that the likes of Burchill fell to be considered but happy for you to set out the stats and demonstrate how far out JD win rate is in comparison to the rest. Happy for you to weight Premier/ Championship etc if you want.

R Neilson - Hearts - 75.61

A Stubbs - Hibs - 58.70

M Warburton - Rangers - 51.28

R Delia - Celtic - 50.97

P Hartley - Dundee - 47.59

J Fowler - QOTS - 45.95

J McNamara - Dundee Utd - 45.11

S Aitken - Dumbarton - 43.55

P Houston - Falkirk - 43.15

R McKinnon - Raith - 43.10

D McInnes - Aberdeen - 42.48

I Baraclough - Motherwell - 42.36

J Hughes - ICT - 40.38

J McIntyre - Ross County - 40.14

T Wright - St J - 39.84

I Murray - St Mirren - 37.96

J Duffy - Morton - 37.07

A Archibald - Partick Thistle - 35.00

D Lennon - Alloa - 32.33

M Burchill - Livingston - 28.57

G Locke - Killie - 25.76

M Canning - Hamilton - 16.67

Average here is 41.98 which Duffy falls below.

We can also pretty much discount Canning and Burchill (which would take the average up to 43.91) because theyve spent their short managerial careers with little resources and fighting relegation with someone else's team.

Either way, Jim Duffy does not compare favourably to any decent manager in Scotland.

Edited by #Gary

Fair enough, I got that on a bit wrong, though in defence I was responding to a comment about Duffy being a massively negative impact on teams he managed. Don't think your tables shows that to be the case either as it does leave out a few duds who were punted.

Who of those above him on your list do you think would have taken the Morton job it was offered to them in June 2014?

Fair enough, I got that on a bit wrong, though in defence I was responding to a comment about Duffy being a massively negative impact on teams he managed. Don't think your tables shows that to be the case either as it does leave out a few duds who were punted.

Who of those above him on your list do you think would have taken the Morton job it was offered to them in June 2014?

Stephen Aitken, Ray McKinnon, Ian Murray, and possibly even Ian Baraclough who was working as a scout at the time.

And in fairness it's a list of managers at similar and better clubs than ourselves. There are many better managers than Jim Duffy from outwith this list whom would have shown an interest in June 14.

Edited by #Gary

Stephen Aitken, Ray McKinnon, Ian Murray, and possibly even Ian Baraclough who was working as a scout at the time.

And in fairness it's a list of managers at similar and better clubs than ourselves. There are many better managers than Jim Duffy from outwith this list whom would have shown an interest in June 14.

Had I been making the appointment I would have gone for Murray. As McKinnon was doing McNally's old job I would probably have given him a miss. I don't rate Aitken particularly certainly not enough to get us from 4 players six weeks out to promotion. Barraclough would have been too much of an unknown and it will be interesting to see what he does next year.

It's all well and good saying you would have appointed Murray but he's an ambitious guy, no chance he was dropping down a league. He had more to gain from keeping us up than he would have by winning League 1 with Morton.

Totally agreed. I truth I am not sure that anyone with any ambition would have taken on the Morton mess in May 2014. It's to JD's credit that he gave it a go.

Edited by Branch Ton

Had I been making the appointment I would have gone for Murray. As McKinnon was doing McNally's old job I would probably have given him a miss. I don't rate Aitken particularly certainly not enough to get us from 4 players six weeks out to promotion. Barraclough would have been too much of an unknown and it will be interesting to see what he does next year.

Not true. Stop peddling that myth.

What is your version of the truth then?

Essentially we retained 7 of the players from the previous season. Gaston, Caraux, O'Ware, Hands, McKee, McNeil, and Russell. Hands, McKee, and Caraux were already under contract for the following season, along with Fred (who left in early August). Gaston, O'Ware, Russell, and McNeil signed new deals. Michael Miller, SMcCluskey, Milo, Pepper, Crighton, and Kilday all signed in June in time for the start of pre-season (6 weeks before the league started). Excluding Fred, we had 13 players six weeks before the season began. Barrowman and Lamie joined in the first half of July. Scullion and Allan slightly later, and McManus and JMcCluskey in August.

You can say that Duffy had a big rebuilding job, as Moore had the previous 2 seasons (with wildly differing results), he obviously did. But you're exaggerating that task.