The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

26 minutes ago, KabbaCharming said:

Why would it rattle us that Tidser is playing in League 1? 

because you are all so desperate to keep him, there is genuinely Morton fans not renewing until he signs.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, even if he doesn’t go to Falkirk he’s probably more likely to be going to Dundee, Hamilton or someone around that stature who can also outbid us rather than staying. If he stays it’s a bonus but I’m not expecting anything.

As for Buchanan, he probably will be fine in League One, although he was part of the hilarious farce of a Dunfermline team which finished 7th. Falkirk are doing us a big favour if they do sign him as we’ve been compelled to offer an extension and you won’t find many people who’d have chosen to, although Hopkin did have him at Livingston as well so possibly sees something in him.

Pretty sure Buchanan signed for Livvi after Hopkin left.

4 hours ago, sick boy said:

because you are all so desperate to keep him, there is genuinely Morton fans not renewing until he signs.

Of course we are, every club would want to keep a player of his quality, but there is also a sense of realism that he will prob go as we can't compete on wages!!

As for season ticket renewal depending on him staying, not quite, Its more if he stays, people will buy one now, doesn't mean the same people wont still buy one if he leaves!

Edited by madton

6 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

I doubt we will be offering four figures but you probably know our budget better than me.

No idea on your budget but 100% know his pre contract was 4 figures!

9 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Buchanan is a strange one for me. When he signed last season I thought we had a player on our hands. I had always rated him as he always had very decent games against us.

But over the season I thought he was capable of much much more than he offered. Only the odd occasion did I witness the player I thought he could be.

Wouldn't be disappointed if he re-signed, but wouldn't be overly fussed if he left.  

When was Buchanan ever decent against us? He was part of an Airdrie defence we scored loads against, a Dunfermline defence which we scored against for fun, a Dumbarton defence which was only occasionally solid, and we didn't find him a difficult opponent last season either. He's got a terrible record against Morton. I've never been a fan. 

He looks like he should be a solid defender, and maybe would be fine with someone beside him to stop him from switching off, but the term flatters to deceive fits him perfectly. 

you talk so much pish, every single Morton fan is begging him to stay underneath every Morton tweet. 
you would be absolutely rattled if he came to us.

Cute how you’re in here trying to make fun of Morton fans while your Board continue to rip the utter c**t out of your fans. Carry on x

Cute how you’re in here trying to make fun of Morton fans while your Board continue to rip the utter c**t out of your fans. Carry on x

the CEO leaving hardly equates to ripping the c**t, keep up kid x

13 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

When was Buchanan ever decent against us? He was part of an Airdrie defence we scored loads against, a Dunfermline defence which we scored against for fun, a Dumbarton defence which was only occasionally solid, and we didn't find him a difficult opponent last season either. He's got a terrible record against Morton. I've never been a fan. 

He looks like he should be a solid defender, and maybe would be fine with someone beside him to stop him from switching off, but the term flatters to deceive fits him perfectly. 

Thought he had some great performances with Dumbarton especially. He obviously caught the eye when he signed for St Mirren and Livingston.

Maybe he has a potential he never seems to fulfil? I always thought he was a decent player, but have to admit he had a very average season for us.  

16 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Thought he had some great performances with Dumbarton especially. He obviously caught the eye when he signed for St Mirren and Livingston.

Maybe he has a potential he never seems to fulfil? I always thought he was a decent player, but have to admit he had a very average season for us.  

I've said loads of times that he seems to have the basic attributes to be a good defender at this level. I think that's why he keeps getting deals. He seemed to play well at Dumbarton when he had a good, experienced head beside him. Under the right circumstances you can see the potential for him to be a good player. 

What I've seen throughout his career is a player with an empty head. Poor concentration levels, poor positioning, poor understanding of the game. 

31 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

What I've seen throughout his career is a player with an empty head. Poor concentration levels, poor positioning, poor understanding of the game. 

Yip, seen that side of his game only too often. Maybe that's why he's never progressed to a higher level?

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Describes his father perfectly.

16 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

If Buchanan is so useless, how come we finished the season well and kept out some decent strike forces? Considering we had a non-CB in McAlister alongside him plus either Iredale or Kilday (who also had their critics) I don’t understand how we could’ve defended so well if we’d carried our most central CB. In fact I don’t think that’s even possible! Nor is saying a CB can hide in a match!

Buchanan is alright. That's about all you can say. We've had far worse defenders and far better defenders.

If he goes then fair enough, good luck to him. He's done nothing to have any animosity about. 

If he stays then good luck to him, more consistent performances this season will be needed if we're to progress, albeit he'll have a new partner (s) which should help. 

51 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

If Buchanan is so useless, how come we finished the season well and kept out some decent strike forces? Considering we had a non-CB in McAlister alongside him plus either Iredale or Kilday (who also had their critics) I don’t understand how we could’ve defended so well if we’d carried our most central CB. In fact I don’t think that’s even possible! Nor is saying a CB can hide in a match!

Because, as I've said, he actually does have some ability. Kilday has become hideously slow, but he's not as bad as some make out, and I actually think McAlister's presence at the back helped Buchanan (because he needs someone who is constantly getting at him). I have no idea whether this would work for him in the longer term but, as I said, under the right circumstances you can see that he could be a good player. 

If you want me to show some examples of his bad defending, that won't be any trouble (there's plenty to find).

24 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Because, as I've said, he actually does have some ability. Kilday has become hideously slow, but he's not as bad as some make out, and I actually think McAlister's presence at the back helped Buchanan (because he needs someone who is constantly getting at him). I have no idea whether this would work for him in the longer term but, as I said, under the right circumstances you can see that he could be a good player. 

If you want me to show some examples of his bad defending, that won't be any trouble (there's plenty to find).

No that’s not required. What you said is quite balanced and I tend to concur. I’ve also said he could be okay with the right partner.