The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, I did work in Greenock for a while and, personally, I don't care whether you care or not.

As for the rest of it,  citing the view from my office window, it's completely true. Happened probably at least once a week.

You originally mentioned alkies  pishing themselves. How many hours a day did you spend looking out of your office window at the groins of passers by for wet patches?   

No wonder you moved  back to Falkirk where the weirdos are. 

47 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

You originally mentioned alkies  pishing themselves. How many hours a day did you spend looking out of your office window at the groins of passers by for wet patches?   

No wonder you moved  back to Falkirk where the weirdos are. 

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

You’ve  gone from “the toon centre’s full of allies pishing themselves in public” to claiming that someone would do so in front of your office window “at least once a week”.       So.......    NOT  completely true at all, then. Thanks at least for caving so quickly.

Fucksake, get a life ya pair of babies. 

Greenock does seem to be somewhat of a sense of humour backwater TBH.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Fucksake, get a life ya pair of babies. 

Greenock does seem to be somewhat of a sense of humour backwater TBH.

“It smells and the toon centre's full of alkies pishing themselves in public”. Hilarious.......    well, maybe to a seven-year-old......

8 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Nae chance - but won’t be pishing ourselves either

Funnily enough the main culprit was a woman. It was particularly bad in the summer when we wanted the windows open as you can imagine. The police used to move them along all the time but they always managed to find their way back again.

This was over 20 years ago so I'd be surprised if any of them are still alive TBH?

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Funnily enough the main culprit was a woman. It was particularly bad in the summer when we wanted the windows open as you can imagine. The police used to move them along all the time but they always managed to find their way back again.

This was over 20 years ago so I'd be surprised if any of them are still alive TBH?

Hugh Scott's wife I'm guessing.

Bear in mind that when construction started you needed 10,000 seats to get into the SPL and we'd just been denied promotion because of it.

It was planned and built to meet a set of ridiculous rules that were binned a year or so later.

No it wasn’t, it was the council who

Insisted the main stand had the space to develop so it could pay for itself. It had nothing to do with the stadium criteria.

We have made many mistake in the last 20 years and this is up there if not the biggest error of all. Millstone around our neck

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No it wasn’t, it was the council who

Insisted the main stand had the space to develop so it could pay for itself. It had nothing to do with the stadium criteria.

We have made many mistake in the last 20 years and this is up there if not the biggest error of all. Millstone around our neck

Fair enough re the main stand. It could obviously have been built smaller, like Livingston or St Mirren, but it was still part of the overall plan to meet the stadium criteria. I remember a press interview when Campbell Christie assured the journos that once completed the stadium would have more capacity than what the SPL demanded. 

The worse thing we ever did was get in bed with the Council. Nobody seemed to consider the ramifications of what would happen if a new administration was hostile towards us.

You can't help wondering how differently things would have worked out had we just told them to F Off when planning TFS. 

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair enough re the main stand. It could obviously have been built smaller, like Livingston or St Mirren, but it was still part of the overall plan to meet the stadium criteria. I remember a press interview when Campbell Christie assured the journos that once completed the stadium would have more capacity than what the SPL demanded. 

The worse thing we ever did was get in bed with the Council. Nobody seemed to consider the ramifications of what would happen if a new administration was hostile towards us.

You can't help wondering how differently things would have worked out had we just told them to F Off when planning TFS. 

Is TFS not wholly owned by the Council? If so I'm not sure how FFC could have told the Council to F off when planning it? Would you not just have to accept whatever the Council wanted to build ?

I understand that FFC an benifactors did contribute to the construction costs but is the land and main stand not all owned by a subsidiary of the Council?

Edited by Bailey1874

Is TFS not wholly owned by the Council? If so I'm not sure how FFC could have told the Council to F off when planning it? Would you not just have to accept whatever the Council wanted to build ?
I understand that FFC an benifactors did contribute to the construction costs but is the land and main stand not all owned by a subsidiary of the Council?
If I have it right, FFC own everything that faces the pitch, the council own the business space within.

Agree the share with the council is an absolute nightmare. All that space we could have used for our benefit and it actually costs us. There is a whole floor one even touched yet too 15 years in,

I also believe it stops investment in the club and if the fan buyout happens it is something the new owners have to tackle and get the council into the sea.

OK, OK, we get it, you're sick of sharing space with the cooncil. We're sick of you sharing this space with us, so take yer boring debate and stick it somehwhere in yer rented cooncil hoose facing yer rotten plastic pitch. 

6 hours ago, Bailey1874 said:

No. We owned Brockville, but a part of the land behind the main stand was owned by the council. Rather than buy the land off them so we could sell it to Morrisons as part of the supermarket deal, we went into partnership with the council to build the new stadium.

I'm a long way short of being an expert on the nuts and bolts of the deal so others may correct me on the next bit.

Anyway, the council land was something like 1/7 of the total area sold at Brockville. And probably a seventh of the value. Yet when the new stadium was built the council ended up with a disproportionate say in the running of it. To the point that we're now tenants in our own stadium, paying sky-high rents, and own only the pitch and seats that face it. (of the main stand anyway. The South stand is ours, or rather it's owned by one of our fans who charges us a lease. BPM will undoubtedly be along shortly to fill in the blanks and have a rant)

In fairness, there will have been some benefits to the original partnership. I think we got  a cheap loan to build the North stand and things like the car parks and infrastructure were all paid for from the public purse. The general feeling though is that the drawbacks of the deal far outweigh the benefits.