The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, LauriestonBairn said:

Genuinely though. if Morton do build a new stadium then I hope they don’t make the same mistakes as Falkirk.

4200 seater main stand! Thats not far away from our average gate! That’s like Celtic building a 60,000 seater main stand.

Bear in mind that when construction started you needed 10,000 seats to get into the SPL and we'd just been denied promotion because of it.

It was planned and built to meet a set of ridiculous rules that were binned a year or so later.

9 hours ago, LauriestonBairn said:

Genuinely though. if Morton do build a new stadium then I hope they don’t make the same mistakes as Falkirk.

4200 seater main stand! Thats not far away from our average gate! That’s like Celtic building a 60,000 seater main stand.

From a Ton point of view it's sad that clubs like yours and Dunfermline can pull in 3-4000 and we struggle to get half that. It's even sadder to listen to the few who still post on the Morton forum meekly accepting that we're 'at our proper level'. We desperately need a change of ownership.

16 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Same question goes for those purchases though. There's clearly an investment plan in purchasing such land, and wherever the funds come from (whether any form of loan or some form of personal capital), there is a design to produce a return (sooner or later). If you're having to find, say, £8 million for a fairly modest new stadium, that's more than what they have been investing in land and there's no obvious return in the stadium. We're no talking about abundantly rich people, but businessmen with decent amounts of capital to draw on. I'm just interested to know what the business plan would be - they don't seem like people who would want to lose money from any business, even football. 

I would imagine they would be in it for the long term rather than trying to make some money out of it.

Sandy seems to genuinely like football and going along to Cappielow most weeks.  A wealthy businessman with various business interests he may look at Morton as something he can divert his interests too.

Maybe even pass onto the family like Alexander some day, who knows?  The Rae's have held a controlling interest at Morton for nearly 20 years. I think the Easdales would be in it for the next 20 years and more.  

To go into fantasy hypothetical s, they may fund Morton properly and take us into a top 4 Premiership club. Attracting top players with sell on transfer fees  that would easily see the initial layout of funds recouped within a few years. 

Think if they're going to make a move it will be before next season starts. 

41 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

To go into fantasy hypothetical s, they may fund Morton properly and take us into a top 4 Premiership club. Attracting top players with sell on transfer fees  that would easily see the initial layout of funds recouped within a few years. 

^^^Tony Fitzpatrick

13 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Bear in mind that when construction started you needed 10,000 seats to get into the SPL and we'd just been denied promotion because of it.

It was planned and built to meet a set of ridiculous rules that were binned a year or so later.

Yet we built one stand

From a Ton point of view it's sad that clubs like yours and Dunfermline can pull in 3-4000 and we struggle to get half that. It's even sadder to listen to the few who still post on the Morton forum meekly accepting that we're 'at our proper level'. We desperately need a change of ownership.

Always felt sorry west coast clubs whose potential fan base is cannibalised by the Old Firm. Half these so called OF fans have probably never been to a game before.

It used to bug me watching buses leaving Falkirk every week, heading to Glasgow. But I’ve accepted that at least they are going to support their team and put money into the game. It’s the ones that sit at home, stream the game online (instead of BT or Sky), don’t put any money into the game nationwide or locally but feel that they can look down at the rest of the Scottish game from their bigoted shitcovered perch.

19 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Two actually. The North stand was open by the end of our first season at TFS, which put us 2/3 of the way towards the 10,000 seats required. 

originally one obviously was my point, We will be the highest placed team in Scotland to build a new stadium with one stand for a season,  its a stunning main stand but somewhat over ambitious in the first place, more so when the final target at that time was 10,000.

A smaller achievable version to reach the 10,000 should've been the original plan albeit the rule of 10,000 was a joke

19 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It does. I worked there for a couple of years and the toon centre's full of alkies pishing themselves in public.

Hmmm........  maybe you did work in Inverclyde for a while; I dont know or care.

As for the rest of it -  what a deeply stupid, infantile post.

JJ simply can't win. The poor sod has no ' hands on' experience and is cutting his teeth at a club which dumped Jim Duffy before failing to retain the services of an experienced manager

Hardly surprising that there are calls for his head from folk who flatly refuse to acknowledge the real problem.

On 16/02/2019 at 12:24, LauriestonBairn said:

Always felt sorry west coast clubs whose potential fan base is cannibalised by the Old Firm. Half these so called OF fans have probably never been to a game before.

It used to bug me watching buses leaving Falkirk every week, heading to Glasgow. But I’ve accepted that at least they are going to support their team and put money into the game. It’s the ones that sit at home, stream the game online (instead of BT or Sky), don’t put any money into the game nationwide or locally but feel that they can look down at the rest of the Scottish game from their bigoted shitcovered perch.

Yup - I grew up 20 minutes from Greenock and had to deal with almost everyone growing up supporting Rangers (or Celtic) and slagging me off for supporting Morton. I went to the vast majority of games and most of these people had never been to Ibrox (or Parkhead) before.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Hmmm........  maybe you did work in Inverclyde for a while; I dont know or care.

As for the rest of it -  what a deeply stupid, infantile post.

Well, I did work in Greenock for a while and, personally, I don't care whether you care or not.

As for the rest of it,  citing the view from my office window, it's completely true. Happened probably at least once a week.

29 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, I did work in Greenock for a while and, personally, I don't care whether you care or not.

As for the rest of it,  citing the view from my office window, it's completely true. Happened probably at least once a week.

You’ve  gone from “the toon centre’s full of allies pishing themselves in public” to claiming that someone would do so in front of your office window “at least once a week”.       So.......    NOT  completely true at all, then. Thanks at least for caving so quickly.