The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

14 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Yes, the jury is still out on whether he’ll make a decent manager at Cappielow and we all remain to be convinced ( well, apart from you and a few others who prefer to  be negative or contentious or knicker-wetting rather than open-minded till we see how January goes) but the sort of guff in the post quoted helps no-one.

Erm no, the jury has already considered the clear and obvious evidence of his ability on the park - it's fucking garbage to watch and has yielded crap results. A verdict that will be supported by the miserable attendance that we'll get on Saturday, as no-one outside a rump of the diehard support is buying this dunce manager's vision for the team right now.  

#together

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Erm no, the jury has already considered the clear and obvious evidence of his ability on the park - it's fucking garbage to watch and has yielded crap results. A verdict that will be supported by the miserable attendance that we'll get on Saturday, as no-one outside a rump of the diehard support is buying this dunce manager's vision for the team right now.  

#together

Your syntax went a bit awry there Doc. They must be dishing out PhDs like sweeties these days.

Would that jury consist of Twelve Angry Weans or just the voices inside your heid?

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

7 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Our squad is clearly unbalanced and is lacking in pace,  creativity and strikers. No one would be able to turn this squad into an offensively minded,  high pressing and scoring team. I suspect Rat knew that and that part the reason he jumped ship may have been because of it

This is one of your more insane posts and think of the ground that covers.

JJ lost 3-0 to Dunfermline, which should have been a sackable offence by itself.

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You're repeating variations on this 'open-minded' line like it's the only rational approach and anyone who doesn't follow the same logic is 'knicker-wetting'. Why is it? Why should we wait and see how January goes and cross our fingers in the hope that Johansson is some sort of transfer market genius rather than focusing on our appalling run of form? 

We've taken three points from the last five games and have only scored once. His total league record is P13 W3 D5 L5 F13 A22. That's absolutely dreadful, it's relegation form and we're getting worse as the season goes on.

I agree that it's likely the club will give him January even if the winless run is extended to seven games by the end of this month, funnily enough due to the club's own ridiculous knee-jerk reaction in giving an unproven manager a two year deal in response to McKinnon leaving. We can respond to that by shrugging our shoulders and watching the club sleepwalk into a relegation battle while hoping Johansson turns out to be some kind of genius in the transfer market - and even at that the regression in Michael Tidser's performances in the last few weeks suggests there's no guarantee players who should be among the best in the division will perform under his management - or we can continue to point out that results and performances are currently miles away from acceptable and hope that if everyone's preferred outcome of Johansson coming good doesn't happen, the club will do something about it.

That's not quite right;

Its P13 W3 D6 L4 

It's poor, but wouldn't say its "absolutely dreadful".  Had one of those draws been a win, it would read classic mid table form. 4 losses from 13 isn't dreadful, but its the lack of wins which is killing him.

Would agree though that the  football has been terrible. The whole fan base is deflated and quickly losing patience. The lack of goals and creativity is a big concern.

However i dont think the results are that poor that it would make Crawford make a snap decision. He will give JJ Jan to bring in a few of his own players and he will know he needs to improve or he will be out on his arse. Big few months coming up. 

I'm praying he gets it right in Jan and has a few gems lined up. If he gets it wrong, its a relegation battle and most probably  out of a job come March.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Don't think you've quite grasped how a football forum works then champ. 

Well I have grasped it actually; that’ll be how I come to be making posts commenting, on this occasion, on the posts of others.

Surprised you haven’t picked up on that. I used to think you were brighter than this, but you’ve been quite consistently good lately at disproving that notion.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Crap football quite often for the spectators, i’ll grant you that, but not quite such crap results. Including being ten seconds away from a win at Tannadice which, had we held on till the end, would have seen us now sitting a point clear in fourth place and only three points behind Dundee United in third. Which would be not bad at all for a ‘dunce” manager in his first management post. 

And I know I pointed and laughed over the weekend at your attempt to see into the future, but this Saturday being the last weekend before Christmas just three days later and with a wet morning forecast you’re just stating the bleeding obvious about the attendance being poor. It’s been poor all season and would be poor this weekend even if we were  sitting third in the table.

Anyway, you’re quite generally thought of as being one of the biggest rumps of our support, so will you be in attendance yourself?

Right from the start it was mentioned JJ's appointment would be a gamble. I don't believe the gamble hasn't paid off yet.

He will be given a transfer window at the very least to prove himself. I hope it works out for him as I liked the idea of giving a young manager the chance to start his career with Morton.

Should JJ go I hope we go down the rookie manager road again.  But hopefully  it works out for him and Morton.

Big transfer window coming up which ultimately could perhaps define JJ's future and where we end up this season 

King Snake's signings have all turned out to be fucking shite aint they?

McKeown's been average, Buchanan's been erratic, Telfer's offered little, McAlister's been posted missing, Johnstone's been injured, Tumilty can't defend, Tiffoney's been Tiffoney and Bell has vanished into thin air.

Waddell and Millar are, perhaps, the only two that have been a success. MacLean's perhaps unlucky he doesn't fit into JJ's formation and Scully's not awful but he's 2nd choice for a reason.

Having a manager come in to work with a squad entirely built by someone else is hard enough. Having to come in and work with a squad full of players who happen to be a bit shite is really pushing it.

42 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

McKeown's been average, Buchanan's been erratic, Telfer's offered little, McAlister's been posted missing, Johnstone's been injured, Tumilty can't defend, Tiffoney's been Tiffoney and Bell has vanished into thin air.

Waddell and Millar are, perhaps, the only two that have been a success. MacLean's perhaps unlucky he doesn't fit into JJ's formation and Scully's not awful but he's 2nd choice for a reason.

Having a manager come in to work with a squad entirely built by someone else is hard enough. Having to come in and work with a squad full of players who happen to be a bit shite is really pushing it.

Think that's fair comment. Although I think you're a bit harsh on McAlister in your criticism though. 

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Revisionism. The squad clearly wasn't going to challenge for the title just based on the seven points that we picked up in August but many of the squad issues that you point out now were either i) not really there before TTGJ took over or ii) have been magnified under his tenure. Tidser was anonymous in the ridiculously deep role that he was assigned on Saturday - that's not the player's fault; that's mainly down to crap management.

The job of a manager is to make the best of what you've got and there are plenty of managers who do that up and down the country; TTGJ inherited a decent enough squad but has made them worse. The team is quite clearly less than the sum of its parts under the utterly turgid style of play that he was seemingly content to watch on Saturday. There can be no doubt that the manager committed to improving the team prior to the transfer window when he bullshitted his way into the job - not even Iron Man would be content with writing off the entire first half of the season until a novice manager can bring in his own players. 

'He needs his own players' is a crap excuse that is only getting wheeled out now because everything that the manager touches has turned into utter shite. 

Edited by vikingTON

16 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Well I have grasped it actually; that’ll be how I come to be making posts commenting, on this occasion, on the posts of others.

Surprised you haven’t picked up on that. I used to think you were brighter than this, but you’ve been quite consistently good lately at disproving that notion.

Crap football quite often for the spectators, i’ll grant you that, but not quite such crap results. Including being ten seconds away from a win at Tannadice which, had we held on till the end, would have seen us now sitting a point clear in fourth place and only three points behind Dundee United in third. Which would be not bad at all for a ‘dunce” manager in his first management post. 

Whataboutery: we didn't win at Tannadice and we're not in the play-offs. Under TTGJ's tenure we also:

- didn't win at home to Alloa, instead slumping to a dire 0-2 defeat 

- didn't win at home to a pub team in the cup

- didn't win and disgracefully capitulated against the two leading teams in the division conceding ten goals in the process

- didn't win and handed a Dunfermline side on a dire run of form the easiest victory they'll get all season

- didn't win at the worst team in the league on Saturday: a result that the manager was content with for his own gormless reasons. 

We've had more than enough chances then to show our play-off credentials under the current manager's tenure and he has failed in just about every one of them. He has two genuinely good results to show for sixteen games in charge. 

And I know I pointed and laughed over the weekend at your attempt to see into the future, but this Saturday being the last weekend before Christmas just three days later and with a wet morning forecast you’re just stating the bleeding obvious about the attendance being poor. It’s been poor all season and would be poor this weekend even if we were  sitting third in the table.

The crowd will be much lower this season than in comparable games before Christmas in recent years - despite the club having far more season ticket holders who have an obvious incentive to turn up. The above results are the reason for this: nobody is buying into the 'but we're still a point from the play-offs line' and so what ought to be an important game for the club on Saturday is being viewed with near-universal apathy. 

This is entirely straightforward stuff.

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

Whataboutery:

This is entirely straightforward stuff.

You’ve just beaten the forums record for exhibiting different manias in two posts:

-Epomania

-Monomania

-Onomatomania

-Dolomania

- Flagellomania  particularly in regard to dead horses.

Seek help. 

Re vt's waffling above, it must be hard to get a decent view of the world when you have tunnel vision and everything is in black and white. And even worse when you're under the delusion that your view is the only correct view that can possibly exist. Let's add megalomania to BranchTon's list above.

Sad indeed to get that worked up about something at a second-tier Scottish fitba' club that you have absolutely no hope of changing no matter how much you rant on about it, but here we are.

It would be great if vt, dunning and one or two others kept quiet and just stuck more pins into their wee wax JJ dolls until either results improve or he leaves the building instead of boring the tits off us all.

Won't happen, of course. And that's sad too.

1 minute ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Sad indeed to get that worked up about something at a second-tier Scottish fitba' club that you have absolutely no hope of changing no matter how much you rant on about it, but here we are.

It would be great if vt, dunning and one or two others kept quiet and just stuck more pins into their wee wax JJ dolls until either results improve or he leaves the building instead of boring the tits off us all.

It's the club that I follow - whether they're a second tier team in Scottish football or in the last 16 of the Champions League is utterly irrelevant. If you have a problem with fans criticising the club or the management team for being crap at their job then you have a problem with the concept of this site. Off you pop then - rest assured that you won't be missed. 

In reality many of the people circling the wagons around TTGJ and harrumphing at the injustice of it all are more than happy to criticise managers, players and staff who they don't happen to like. 

It's hypocrisy and special pleading at work here, nothing else. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Revisionism. The squad clearly wasn't going to challenge for the title just based on the seven points that we picked up in August but many of the squad issues that you point out now were either i) not really there before TTGJ took over

Think it's yourself disgracing the name of Hoxha with the revisionism this time...

The main arguments against the squad now is there is no potency and the games are ponderous, with little attacking threat, coupled with a lack of pace and the defence is often all over the place with little help from the fullbacks putting pressure on central defensive partnership(s) prone to lapses in concentration. Going by the Morton board chat after each of our games under King Snake...

Ayr match thread...

"until we get denny fit n either jai or someone else in we're stuck with mchugh so it might be funny but thats all we have just now which is not ideal."

We still only have McHugh and the seaside league quality Thompson. We've lost Oliver, the only piece of creativity we had in the final third, I'd argue we're in a worse position upfront now than we were when this was posted on the 11th of July. King Snake (and Duffy) left us hanging with our options upfront.

"We have no shape no motivation. A lot of huffing and puffing. But nowt else"

This has been the same for every game this season with the exception of Partick at home

"Nothing up front. Nothing."

Five months later. Still nothing

"Getting pumped is never good but McKinnon all but admitted in his previous match interview that this would be like a warm up game. Still building his squad, players injured etc."

Our starting XI that day was Scully, Kilday, Iredale, Buchanan, Waddell, Telfer, Millar, McAlister, oliver, Tidser and MacLean. The manager admitted he needed reinforcements in key areas yet we're still playing, near enough, the same XI. He either never brought them in or brought in players no better than what we had like Tumilty or McKeown.

"Probably the only player who's even a candidate for pass marks is Millar, but we're going to need energy in midfield beside him"

Still awaiting a player who can bring energy to the midfield.

"We have very little pace in the squad, and hardly any goal threat."

Still the case...

"From being there 3·1 flattered them. Defence torn apart & toothless up front. "

So after our first game of the seasons the fans could see we had nothing upfront and a lack of dynamism in midfield, especially when we never had the ball, and those issues weren't rectified by King Snake. JJ can't rectify those things as manager as no coach in the world can turn young Lyons into Kante in three months and no coach in the world can take ten years off the legs of McAllister or Millar. He's stuck with four strikers: lump of wood Thomson, the imaginary Bell, supersub McHugh and permacrocked Johnstone.

Partick match thread...

"Michael Tidser is playing at left centre back"

At least JJ hasn't attempted this nonsense which only showed up how short we were of centrebacks (or how the ones we had weren't trusted). King Snake didn't rectify this.

"frustrating that we obviously lack so much up top"

This hasn't changed.

"failure to stop the cut back and the sleepy defenders failed to spot the runner coming in and the back post."

McKinnon's full back, Tumilty, being shite and McKinnon's centreback, Buchanan, not paying attention IIRC.

"Hoping Ray has some quality up his sleeve as we badly need more additions , the bench highlights that perfectly"

He didn't have anything up his sleeve but a bus ticket to Falkirk leaving us with the gubbins squad he left us. His only signing from this point forward was Rory McKeown was it not?

against Stenhousemuir

"Bit worried about defence. Not sure strap is ready for this level consistently yet and Tumility looked decent going forward but really didn't seem fond of tracking back which left the central defenders exposed at times. "

Even against League One's worst team our defence, cultivated almost entirely by Snake, was looking dodgy. It still looks dodgy. Kilday's lost all semblance of form, Buchanan's hit and miss, Tumilty can't defend and McKeown's bang average.

v QotS

"In a shocking turn of events Nothing is sticking up front with McHugh "

"Kilday and Buchanan all over the place at the back. "

"Loads of effort in the team but nothing up front. A ridiculous double save from Scully means we are still level. "

"A competent defence and we stroll a 2 nil win. Piss poor defending "

"Central defence and up front are our problem areas. See kilday is taking some stick but I think Buchanan was the poorer of the 2. We also offered very little upfront. Ideally McHugh needs to go and we can bring in another option. "

Still the same issues plaguing us. If it wasn't for Scully wonder saves we woulda been 2-0 down and despite, somehow, getting into a 2 goal lead we still couldn't defend and lost all energy in midfield as QotS over ran us to gain a draw. Every issue we have with JJ's reign can be epitomised in the last twenty minutes of this game.

V Alloa

"We've weakened every defensive position."

"Midfield faded badly again"

"The biggest issue for me though remains up top"

Weak defence, slow, tiring, aging midfield and nothing upfront. This was during our "peak" of the season as well.

v Dumbarton

"This is a riddy."

Yes it was. The argument that we played the weans doesn't make it less of a riddy. The worst Dumbarton team in a decade beat us and it showed up that we had absolutely no strength in depth in the squad and it required numbers. Either McKinnon thought what he had was good enough, in which case he's an idiot, or he spunked all his money on Millar, Jim, Johnstone and the conglomerate of charlatans he procured (so still an idiot) or he knew he was off to Falkirk and didn't give a f**k. Either way he left JJ with below average starting XI and nothing in the way of depth to allow him to manage his way out of it until January.

v Ross County

"Centre backs still worry me."

"Midfield works hard but too much reliance on Tidser for creativity."

We go top of the league by beating league favourites and fans are still worried about the defence and midfield. Says it all really. We are entirely reliant on Tidser for creativity but, on the other hand, he's slower than a week in the jail and, with no pace or energy in midfield to cover for him when we lose the ball, we need to flodd the midfield and/or sit deep which can nullify his influence if the opposition bothers marking him or adjusting their tactics accordingly. Settng the team up around Tidser is the calling card of idiots in the Morton support who can't seem to grasp that doing so gives us only one attacking threat which is fairly easily snuffed out.

King Snake left us with a mid table starting XI, with glaring deficiencies, and nothing in depth to fix it until the January transfer window. JJ hasn't impressed me so far but he's not far off par. One or two signings isn't gonna make us challenge at the top but it might allow us to play to some of the squad's strengths or plug up some of the issues the squad faces. Once he's made those changes then we can properly ascertain if he has the capabilities to take us further or we're better cutting our losses.

The only positive from McKinnon's time at Cappielow is that he clearly knows nothing about signing players so we can enjoy Falkirk's continued sink to the diddy leagues as the dross Snake brings in to Grangemouth will probably be on a par with the dross agent Hartley brought in.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The only positive from McKinnon's time at Cappielow is that he clearly knows nothing about signing players so we can enjoy Falkirk's continued sink to the diddy leagues as the dross Snake brings in to Grangemouth will probably be on a par with the dross agent Hartley brought in.

Morton fans eating themselves alive as per usual, but the rank stench of bitterness and abandonment emanating from this post is quite, quite delightful.