The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Good appointment. No point trying to figure out team and tactics. Jim'll do it differently anyhow. His attention to detail is amazing. Watch for him telling the players to move 3 inches. He's hopeless, I don't know any other way to say it.

6 hours ago, toms said:

Good appointment. No point trying to figure out team and tactics. Jim'll do it differently anyhow. His attention to detail is amazing. Watch for him telling the players to move 3 inches. He's hopeless, I don't know any other way to say it.

Good appointment... and hopeless?

He'll do fine for you. Loves a 4-3 and a half-2 (sort of) and a half. Three midfield players, plus a winger/runner who joins a striker and one in behind. Bit like France.

He'll improve the players ye have. There was the odd dud signing from him but most came in and done a job and were better players when they left than when they came in. I think he thrived  giving younger players some in depth coaching at a full time club. Dunno if he'd be as good at a part time team (Brechin and Clyde fans might agree with me there)

On 21/10/2018 at 12:12, Colkitto said:

Wonder what Sandy and Crawford were talking about yesterday? 

Image may contain: 8 people, people smiling, suit

They were saying that is the diddies that will be giving us a fortune shortly.

Duffy is a good appointment for you boys, he'll have you's solid and hard to beat in that league when he brings in a few of his own players but do expect some baffling sub decisions and tactics, he loves to surprise you old slapheed, pretty sure he'll do well!

Edited by M0rtonfc

The snake's snaking now going to an SPFL tribunal. https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17004908.exclusive-tribunal-to-rule-on-morton-v-falkirk-ray-mckinnon-row/

Assuming Rae's statement is true, he was approached by Falkirk, never said anything to McKinnon, and McKinnon then came in greetin' that he wasn't allowed to have a chat with Grangemouth half an hour later then that has to be tapping up does it not?

If no-one at Cappielow informed McKinnon of the approach then that only leaves Falkirk.

If Morton never gave him permission to resign from his contract in order to take the Falkirk job that's compo due as well Shirley?

Unless I'm missing something really obvious here. I doubt it would go to a tribunal at all unless Morton had some evidence of this going on.

He probably had his best game for us at the weekend, but he has had a tendency to disappear from games. He had no impact in his first couple of starts under JJ, and found it difficult to make an impact from the bench after that. If we can create a bit of space for him to have the ball at his feet to run at defenders (like on Saturday) then he'll be an important player for us, even better if he can learn to force his way into matches a bit more.

Where's he been playing? He (rightly) seemed pretty frustrated with us last season. IIRC he was asking to go out on loan last January but Robinson blocked that then barely gave him any minutes through the 2nd half of the season.

One of the main issues seems to be that with Robinson pretty much married to the 352 we've been using there's not really an obvious position for MacLean. Which is a shame as he's not really done much wrong any time he's played for us.

12 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The snake's snaking now going to an SPFL tribunal. https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17004908.exclusive-tribunal-to-rule-on-morton-v-falkirk-ray-mckinnon-row/

Assuming Rae's statement is true, he was approached by Falkirk, never said anything to McKinnon, and McKinnon then came in greetin' that he wasn't allowed to have a chat with Grangemouth half an hour later then that has to be tapping up does it not?

If no-one at Cappielow informed McKinnon of the approach then that only leaves Falkirk.

If Morton never gave him permission to resign from his contract in order to take the Falkirk job that's compo due as well Shirley?

Unless I'm missing something really obvious here. I doubt it would go to a tribunal at all unless Morton had some evidence of this going on.

37D7BA19-F89E-47FB-AC16-EAD124244116.jpeg

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Out of curiosity, how's Ross Maclean doing for you chaps?

When he's playing well he's a good, direct option to have with plenty of energy. His final ball and his finishing lets him down at times but that's to be expected with a player of his age playing at this level.  There is also a tendency to float in and out of matches, especially where the opposition back line are sitting deep. If can be find some consistency in his delivery and finishing, and adjust his movement and tendencies to help him stay involved in the match for 90 minutes every week then he could be a decent player. 

Is he with Morton all season or just until January?

1 hour ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

When he's playing well he's a good, direct option to have with plenty of energy. His final ball and his finishing lets him down at times but that's to be expected with a player of his age playing at this level.  There is also a tendency to float in and out of matches, especially where the opposition back line are sitting deep. If can be find some consistency in his delivery and finishing, and adjust his movement and tendencies to help him stay involved in the match for 90 minutes every week then he could be a decent player. 

Is he with Morton all season or just until January?

It was announced as being the full season. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/06/20/ross-maclean-goes-on-loan-to-morton/

There's a recall option for January but I'd be surprised if we invoked it. We haven't changed from the 352 so it'd be the same issue as MacLean had previously in terms of getting game time I think.

Any time Robinson's talking about players pushing for the first team it's u20s/Reserves who are still at the club such as David Turnbull, Barry Maguire and Adam Livingstone. The only loanee he's regularly talked up is Jake Hastie who's at Alloa just now but has been featuring for our Reserves and Colts as well.

27 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Point being Morton gave McKinnon permission to speak to Falkirk AFTER McKinnon asked why he was not allowed permission to speak to Falkirk. So how did McKinnon know an approach had been made unless Falkirk went to McKinnon directly?

He claimed he was tipped off by a reporter.

44 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Point being Morton gave McKinnon permission to speak to Falkirk AFTER McKinnon asked why he was not allowed permission to speak to Falkirk. So how did McKinnon know an approach had been made unless Falkirk went to McKinnon directly?

Between his playing career and his managerial career Ray took up clairvoyance.