The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Branch Ton is a fucking weirdo tbh.

I'm happy to see us experiment in the diddy cups. Just so long as the stuff that doesn't work gets thrown in the sea quickly.

No sign of Oliver,  McHugh or Thomson doing the doggy paddle in the Clyde yet. 

Monday at the Wonka Factory and not only has the manager forgot to order sugar but he also has three guys who can operate the one  bagging machine but no one to operate the conveyor belt. I don’t have think Crawford would be happy with that shambles 

Not sure Duffy would get away with calling f**k ups experiments even in the brave new born again happy clapper era

No sign of Oliver,  McHugh or Thomson doing the doggy paddle in the Clyde yet. 
Monday at the Wonka Factory and not only has the manager forgot to order sugar but he also has three guys who can operate the one  bagging machine but no one to operate the conveyor belt. I don’t have think Crawford would be happy with that shambles 
 Not sure Duffy would get away with calling f**k ups experiments even in the brave new born again happy clapper era

Good job no one cares what you think.

16 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

In what world is the league cup a “diddy cup” for anyone in Scotland, never mind a championship side...:

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The same diddy cup that you reached the semi finals of and was branded as an achievement by some of your fans.

The games might come early but they’re no where near meaningless games like pre-season friendlies.

You are both spot on, its not a diddy cup to me either and it should be taken seriously by everyone at our level! I think the circumstances we find ourselves in this year allows the club a little slack though. McKinnon was brought in late( end of May) and has only had 5-6 weeks to build a squad of 15 from 4. It's by no way complete,  it still need 3/4 positions filled as well as a few to return from injury and the last thing we would want is for him to rush into having a completed squad in place for the start of this cup and then miss out on better signings a few weeks later had we waited. I think he has done the right thing in having 15 in place  to allow us to compete but still leaves room to add 3 or 4 more for the start of the league campaign.  

I don't for a second think he will do a Duffy and leave gaps in our squad come the end of Aug and then panic buy in Sept ( Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch) or just leave the gaps  gaping until Jan ( Frank Ross) He talks about having a squad ready for the start of the league season and I'd like to think we will have an all but completed squad ready for QOTS.

Next season, I'd expect to be better placed as McKinnon will have identified targets and spoke to players potentially months in advance and  also know which players he will retain/release much earlier than we have done this season.

Well done on your result on Sat btw, with  a settled squad and a few good additions, it  looks like you boys might have a decent season.

On 15/07/2018 at 20:17, SuperTon said:

Good job no one cares what you think.

No one apart from a guy who can’t read newspapers and his cronies.

The board knew before May that Doyle would be leaving. How long do you need to sign a right back before it just reeks of incompetence?

52 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

No one apart from a guy who can’t read newspapers and his cronies.

The board knew before May that Doyle would be leaving. How long do you need to sign a right back before it just reeks of incompetence?

Luckily for us, the board don't handle the recruitment of players and we have a manager in place who does that!

1 hour ago, madton said:

Luckily for us, the board don't handle the recruitment of players and we have a manager in place who does that!

You think it's just coincidence McKinnon signed three ex-players?

7 minutes ago, Dr Watson said:

I think  McKinnon wanted those players 100%. If he didn't want them, they wouldn't be at the club.

It's not coincidence no, its 2 ex players who have a large affinity for the club who have either moved back to the area/wanted to stay in the area so of course they were going to be interested in us and likewise us in them as they are two very good players.

As for Denny, Mckinnon tried to sign him twice before and was even speaking to him before he got the job. Clear as day it was his signing!

2 hours ago, Dr Watson said:

Maybe you don't but then you're hardly an unbiased observer where the board's concerned, are you?

2 hours ago, madton said:

I think  McKinnon wanted those players 100%. If he didn't want them, they wouldn't be at the club.

It's not coincidence no, its 2 ex players who have a large affinity for the club who have either moved back to the area/wanted to stay in the area so of course they were going to be interested in us and likewise us in them as they are two very good players.

As for Denny, Mckinnon tried to sign him twice before and was even speaking to him before he got the job. Clear as day it was his signing!

I'd add that McKinnon was possibly looking to earn some goodwill by bringing in guys that Morton supporters look back on fondly, as well as guys who can potentially do a job.

Probably plenty of other reasons to suggest that they're McKinnon signings so I don't really see the point in looking for things that probably aren't there.

Unless you're one of the weirdos who are desperate for it to be there.

3 hours ago, Dr Watson said:

Ah, you accuse me of using someone else's words, by using someone else's words. :1eye :lol:

Hmm, I'm not aware of any copyright on abbreviations - still, at least it was my own decision to post it, Smithers.

I spoke with your keeper Ryan Scully yesterday ahead of tonight's match against his former side Partick. "Nothing to prove" he says; he certainly has the talent as he was great for Dunfermline a few years back in League One when Jim Jefferies was in charge. 86 appearances in 2 seasons for us so he was well-established as he left EEP. It'll be great competition between him and Gaston for the number 1 jersey this season. 

That was a painful defeat (VS Partick) to take but a lot of positives to take from this,

Tumilty with a debut goal.

Effectively dominating the 2nd half when Iredale swapped positions with Tidser, a what might have been moment....

And the fact we're not quite at full strength yet, we have our tall strikers Thomson and Denny to come back. 

I'm quietly optimistic.  Just need to get the formation nailed and the team to improve cohesion.

Basically - We're getting there but not quite there yet

On 16/07/2018 at 11:33, madton said:

You are both spot on, its not a diddy cup to me either and it should be taken seriously by everyone at our level! I think the circumstances we find ourselves in this year allows the club a little slack though. McKinnon was brought in late( end of May) and has only had 5-6 weeks to build a squad of 15 from 4. It's by no way complete,  it still need 3/4 positions filled as well as a few to return from injury and the last thing we would want is for him to rush into having a completed squad in place for the start of this cup and then miss out on better signings a few weeks later had we waited. I think he has done the right thing in having 15 in place  to allow us to compete but still leaves room to add 3 or 4 more for the start of the league campaign.  

I don't for a second think he will do a Duffy and leave gaps in our squad come the end of Aug and then panic buy in Sept ( Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch) or just leave the gaps  gaping until Jan ( Frank Ross) He talks about having a squad ready for the start of the league season and I'd like to think we will have an all but completed squad ready for QOTS.

Next season, I'd expect to be better placed as McKinnon will have identified targets and spoke to players potentially months in advance and  also know which players he will retain/release much earlier than we have done this season.

Well done on your result on Sat btw, with  a settled squad and a few good additions, it  looks like you boys might have a decent season.

Its a diddy cup due to the early starting and playing afore the world cup finishes like our clubs in the top league playing for Europe shows where Scottish fitba is nowadays. I really dont see the advantage of starting this early bar £s for tv money which will be minuscule but providing the league cup with prize money

I dont think of it as a diddy cup but we have made it the challenge cup pt2 now, flog it with daft ideas till it becomes meaningless, tho cant see us adding clubs from other countries yet !!!

12 hours ago, Dr Watson said:

That's what managers do.....bar Hartley at Falkirk so far