The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Back to the future. Gentleman Jim Duffy awarded SPFA Player of the year in 1985.

attachicon.gif1445476485744.jpg

Yes, indeed he was - and well-deserved it was, too.

So, when was the last time a Thissell player won sufficient respect from his peer group to win that award?

That's right - NEVER. :thumsup2

Yes, indeed he was - and well-deserved it was, too.

So, when was the last time a Thissell player won sufficient respect from his peer group to win that award?

That's right - NEVER. :thumsup2

You seem upset? :)

Back to the future. Gentleman Jim Duffy awarded SPFA Player of the year in 1985.

attachicon.gif1445476485744.jpg

That's surely not from this season:

post-2169-14455279148179_thumb.jpg

That points total, that goal difference :lol:

How could a defender get playing in that team get player of the year....?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1445527913.772627.jpg

Because he was a difficult defender to play against and his fellow professionals voted to recognise this.

Pity about the rest of the defence, though.

Five league wins all season - guess who one of them was against?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1445527913.772627.jpg

It surely is, actually.

Two reasons for it:

1. He got plenty of opportunity to shine as it was backs-to-the-wall most of the season

2. He really was an exceptional player. Great anticipation, could tackle, hold the ball, distribute it well and organise those round about him.

If only he'd carried a bit more of that awereness and organisational skill into his management career.....

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Minus 71 (seventy one) goal difference over 36 games, I don't even know how... For a bit of context we finished bottom of the top flight last season, with a goal difference of minus 36, and that was over 38 games!

And then the centre half gets player of the year... Jeez, things really were different in the eighties :lol:

Minus 71 (seventy one) goal difference over 36 games, I don't even know how... For a bit of context we finished bottom of the top flight last season, with a goal difference of minus 36, and that was over 38 games!

And then the centre half gets player of the year... Jeez, things really were different in the eighties :lol:

You have to remember that in those days it was 2 up & 2 down - less fear of relegation and more attacking football.

Other factors were losing 7-0 at Tannadice and 7-2 at home to Celtic (although we had beaten them 2-1 in the first home meeting). Even Dumbarton came to Greenock and stuck 4 past us FFS!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard of the St Mirren match being all ticket?

All our games are all ticket.

I'm assuming we will send a batch to Morton and if there are any remaining tickets on the night ( won't be too much I reckon ) they will be sold at the ground.

You's will get about 2400 which is the away end and sections W6/7 in the West Stand which should be a laugh. Not seen too much trouble when the Old Firm have visited, although Rangers fans were throwing stuff at us in 1 particular game.

It's the local neds that worry me. Don't know how the Police deal with the train station.

Bigger allocation than I was expecting actually if 2400 is anywhere near right. We'd normally be a stick on to sell that out, see how results are before then.