The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Except that we haven't looked for "the new Darren Barr" - we've brought in a 28 year old seaside league jobber effortlessly dealt with by the best striker in last year's League One when it mattered. And isn't actually fit to play. So your wild deflection has absolutely no relation to Morton's prospects for the coming season then.

Thanks for playing anyway.

Really chump? There was me thinking that although McManus scored two goals neither the penalty nor the failure to pick up his run onto Forbes superb ball was down to our seaside league jobber.. On the other hand had Stranraer signed Darren Barr last year he would come have been out injured so no doubt McManus would have spent so much time tearing about like a headless chicken in the free space that he would have been too knackered to score. Get your drift Golum., you are so wise.

advocated

Was just about to post this, barr 1-0 last minute header sending branchTon into meltdown.

Naw I would have slashed my wrists already after Andy Graham' s opener from a free header after Lamie colided with Kilday on the six yard line.

I think there is a point about some players suddenly becoming better once they've signed for other clubs. Dumbarton potentially have done a decent rebuilding job, but there is certainly quite a bit of risk involved. I don't think many would have been impressed with the signing of Gordon Smith. Barr and Buchanan could be good signings but have both had a difficult time recently (for different reasons). There are others making a step up as well.

I'm not saying that teams like Dumbarton haven't done a good job, I just think some Morton fans have gone slightly over the top in trying to highlight our own failings. Of course, risky but potentially good is still better than most of what we've managed to do so far.

Really chump? There was me thinking that although McManus scored two goals neither the penalty nor the failure to pick up his run onto Forbes superb ball was down to our seaside league jobber..

What was he doing then in a defence that was effortlessly sworded in the most important game in its club's (pathetic) history? Why did he fail to intervene?

Safe to say that this has been an absolute disaster for you, as usual.

What was he doing then in a defence that was effortlessly sworded in the most important game in its club's (pathetic) history? Why did he fail to intervene?

Safe to say that this has been an absolute disaster for you, as usual.

We're you not there ? Concept of two centre backs , left and right sided too much for you? One picks up Peaso the other McManus.

Just remember that you pick is Barr instead of our seaside leaguer or any other--oh where was Barr playing---at the end of the season slitherine

MacDonald was tripped for the penalty; McManus scored the second from open play. So even by your laughable attempt to pass the buck, our seaside league jobber still failed to do his job properly.

The rest of your post is incoherent nonsense: presumably you can't see the keyboard through all those salty tears.

MacDonald was tripped for the penalty; McManus scored the second from open play. So even by your laughable attempt to pass the buck, our seaside league jobber still failed to do his job properly.

The rest of your post is incoherent nonsense: presumably you can't see the keyboard through all those salty tears.

Epic fail. Tactics that day targeted a specific Stranraer player., have you forgotten ? Who tripped Peaso?

Even in your blinkered little world do you really think that Peaso had no say about signing Frank?

Still nice to know it would make you happy if we signed an injury prone seaside leaguer.

Naw I would have slashed my wrists already after Andy Graham' s opener from a free header after Lamie colided with Kilday on the six yard line.

Andy graham came to us with negative reviews but he's been an absolute hero for us. Barely missed a game and reliable as they come.

Captaincy has been taken off him and given to your best pal darren for the season.

Alloa have signed 13 players, Dumbarton 12 players and Livi 10. You must be worried seeming as you've only made 2!!

Different situations, to be fair. We retained 15 players from last season so we're in a similar position to many other teams right now in that we're looking to finish putting the squad together. All the teams you mention have had to take some risks in a similar way to some of the players we retained.

Saying the market has been slow is getting less and less relevant though as other teams make more signings. Dumbarton signing Craig puts them ahead of us in terms of squad completion, for example. We only needed to make 5 or 6 signings, but we're clearly struggling.

Epic fail. Tactics that day targeted a specific Stranraer player., have you forgotten ? Who tripped Peaso?

Even in your blinkered little world do you really think that Peaso had no say about signing Frank?

Still nice to know it would make you happy if we signed an injury prone seaside leaguer.

More piss-poor excuses champ. Even in your fantasy island scenario where Jim Duffy specifically targets individuals in the other side to attack (he doesn't and can't), the onus is still on their defensive partner to recognise that threat and maintain an organised, competent defence. Which is supposedly the experience he would lend to our defence: he failed. His marked striker was taken down for a penalty and he was nowhere to be seen when McManus scored the winner.

If Sean Crighton or any other diddy centre-back had been so anonymous in a crucial defeat then they'd have been rightly hounded for it; yet our big jobber centre-back is apparently immune because, well, he signed for us. You're fooling absolutely no-one.

More piss-poor excuses champ. Even in your fantasy island scenario where Jim Duffy specifically targets individuals in the other side to attack (he doesn't and can't), the onus is still on their defensive partner to recognise that threat and maintain an organised, competent defence. Which is supposedly the experience he would lend to our defence: he failed. His marked striker was taken down for a penalty and he was nowhere to be seen when McManus scored the winner.

If Sean Crighton or any other diddy centre-back had been so anonymous in a crucial defeat then they'd have been rightly hounded for it; yet our big jobber centre-back is apparently immune because, well, he signed for us. You're fooling absolutely no-one.

Leaving aside your predeliction for trying to queen it over people just what the heck are-you on about. This started with me saying that I thought Morton should not be handing out full time contracts to injury prone players who have played a handful of games in the last 2 years. You raised,our recent signing as if I was some sort of apologist for him. Fair enough if you want to have a pop at him using your usual fact based analysis. The example you quoted in evidence of a poor performance was utter bollocks. We did target a particular Stranraer defender on that day and successfully at that rather,in a similar,way to what is likely to happen to Russell and Kilday this season. McK was not the one at fault for the goals you mention. If you had said he was crap in the 4-0 game I might well have agreed with you, the entire Stranraer team were that day but in all honesty I can't remember if he actually played.

Still good to know you would have. signed Darren Barr. You are,so wise even if on occasions a stranger to the truth.

Uh huh: so when other sides target other players in our defence, our supposedly experienced jobber at centre-back will be posted missing. That is, of course, if he is ever actually fit enough to play a match. Good to know; Dumbarton fans must be kicking themselves at missing out on that option.

Uh huh: so when other sides target other players in our defence, our supposedly experienced jobber at centre-back will be posted missing. That is, of course, if he is ever actually fit enough to play a match. Good to know; Dumbarton fans must be kicking themselves at missing out on that option.

>>>>gibberish gumbo.

At the end of 2012/13 no one would have picked us to go down in2013/14 and there will a similar surprise this year

Raith Rovers will finish bottom.

Alloa and Dumbarton will be miles worse than us and Livingstone will implode.

We are in no danger of liquidation or of having financial irrregularities discovered and punished with a points deduction. The Suprene Court will be hearing the Murray (Servco) appeal before the season end.

We have Tidser.

We do have cash to spend. We will splash the cash before the transfer window closes because Crawford knows that relegation will provide zero return on the family investment.

Morton fans will realise that all Scottish football clubs are crap and that on balance Morton are not really any crappier
than the rest of the crap.

Essentially the Championsip is just a version of Fifty Shades of Shite

I genuinely admire your ability to be blindly optimistic and wish I could be as positive about the season as you, but surely you can admit yourself that this is entirely based on blind hope rather than any actual reasoning or evidence?

Regardless of your thoughts on the standard of the Championship in the grand scheme of football, what's actually relevant is the standard of the Championship in relation to League One. If you're seriously going to argue that the gulf isn't huge and that a team which won League One by two points is going to be fine in the Championship with almost the exact same squad, with new signings coming from other League One teams, you are deluding yourself. The gap between these divisions is the biggest in Scottish football and countless players have been a success in League One and failed miserably in the Championship. Many of our players were bang average in League One and we were far off the standard of sides who went on to be comfortably mid-table after winning League One.

We have four players (Gaston, Tidser, Forbes & MacDonald) who are proven in the Championship. We are relying on the rest of the squad adjusting to the step-up and doing so immediately. Even if by some ridiculous stroke of luck every single player is capable of making the transition, they need to be doing it from the first week of the season: if they all take the time to adjust to playing at a higher level that Stefan McCluskey did to adjust to League One last season we'll be relegated by the time we start playing well.

I do reckon some will manage it - Russell has great potential, if he's got Forbes and Tidser feeding him passes Barr should do well, I still think O'Ware and Miller have the potential to be solid centre backs at this level - but going into the season with the majority of your starting eleven being entirely untested at the level you're playing at is asking for trouble. That's why I entirely disagree that we are not any worse than other sides, who aside from Alloa all have far more players who are proven at this level or above.

For what it's worth I do feel that people are massively over-rating Raith. McKinnon's not a great manager, and while they've made some decent signings there's nothing so great to suggest they're capable of clawing back the gap on QoS and Falkirk. That said though, they're comfortably superior to us in personnel in defence and attack and I'd be amazed if McKinnon does such a bad job that they end up going so far backwards from where they were under Murray that they end up finishing bottom.

Alloa certainly could end up being worse than us. They've a squad full of unknown quantities and that can turn out to be a disaster, as it was for us two years ago. All of them being awful is our best hope of avoiding automatic relegation as it stands: if they are as bad as we were two years ago then we should have no problem finishing above them. Of course, it could turn out that Lennon's done a substantially better job than Moore did and some of them are actually capable players at this level who have enough to stay clear of relegation, so we can't be convinced of that - if half of them are good Championship players we're in trouble. We just have to wait and see, and the fact that we're relying on Alloa's new signings turning out to be shite for us to avoid tenth speaks volumes about how much of a disaster this summer has been.

Dumbarton have a far better squad than us, with players who are proven at this level or higher throughout the squad. Of course they'd still take Tidser, Forbes and MacDonald, but so would everyone other than Rangers and Hibs, it's the rest of our team that's the problem and they're considerably stronger than us. Barring some unexpected excellent signings in the next couple of weeks we'll be a long way behind them at the end of the season.

Livingston could implode financially but there's no guarantee it'll happen and we're clutching at straws if that's our reason to be hopeful of finishing eighth.

The only way Rangers will have any impact on us is they get liquidated during the season and no team is automatically relegated. Even if they were to go into administration they'd still be comfortably above us after a points deduction.

Tidser is one player. A terrific player who can deliver double figures in goals from midfield over a season and drag a team to results they wouldn't have a hope of getting without him, but regardless of how good he is he's not going to be able to do everything by himself. If MacDonald gets injured and we have no proper alternative, if we have a shapeless midfield through players being played out of position, if we have no holding midfielder protecting the defence and we have a defence full of League One players who haven't adjusted to the Championship we can't expect him to keep us up.

Yes, we still have signings to make, and indeed most sides in the division still haven't completed their squads. The difference is that other sides, with the exception of St. Mirren, are just needing one or two signings and they're good. We have no holding midfielder, we only have one out and out striker who as we've discussed needs real competition, the only right back at the club was out of his depth in League One, none of the defence are proven in the Championship, we've only two natural wide midfielders. We're short in all of those positions, but the assistant manager has explicitly said that we'll only get three more signings, which will leave us with a starting eleven that isn't good enough and a lack of cover.

Also, while if you're just needing one player it makes sense to wait for the right option to come along and no one wants us to rush in and fill the squad with non-entities because they're all that's available, when you're short in so many areas this late on you generally end up scrambling for anyone you can get in desperation. Yeah, you can end up with Declan McManus when that happens, but in the past it's seen us get Adam Coakley, Jay Shiels and Darren McGeough. And we're already offering six month contracts to players being brought in as cover because Duffy's not sure about them, when we need players coming in to improve the starting eleven.

Edited by Dunning1874

Except that we haven't looked for "the new Darren Barr" - we've brought in a 28 year old seaside league jobber effortlessly dealt with by the best striker in last year's League One when it mattered. And isn't actually fit to play. So your wild deflection has absolutely no relation to Morton's prospects for the coming season then.

VT you are a" jobbie"

Thanks for playing anyway.