The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

So in May 2014 when Duffy was interviewed and appointed how many non development squad players were actually contracted to play for Morton in 2014/5?

That's entirely beside the point of "six weeks out" - which is what I was calling out as a fallacy. If you had said that Duffy had four players under contract from the previous season when he joined as manager 11 weeks before the start of the new league season, then that would have been fine - but that's not what you said. You combined the number of full time players under contract when Duffy took over (Fred, Caraux, McKee, and Hands) with an abitrary number of weeks. Can you justify the term "4 players six weeks out"?

The other point is that it was nothing to do with the number of players signed up at that point. After this season finished we only had MacDonald, Tidser, and Russell under contract. The difference is that Duffy wanted to retain the majority of the squad, and they wanted to re-sign. Not many players get multi-year contracts. For the season we finished second to Thistle Moore made 15 new signings. You mentioned Aitken in your initial point, he has a very similar rebuilding job to do at Dumbarton this summer. That's the nature of it - sometimes your players will re-sign, sometimes they won't. Often you won't want them to (for example, Fitzpatrick, McCormack, Robertson, Cole, O'Connor, etc.).

Edited by SpoonTon

It's also a ridiculous point to make given that Aitkens just taken over a team with no signed players and built a competitive squad in just over 3 weeks. Not sure what reason justifys the view that Aitken couldn't have built a team to the same or better quality that Duffy did.

R Neilson - Hearts - 75.61

A Stubbs - Hibs - 58.70

M Warburton - Rangers - 51.28

R Delia - Celtic - 50.97

P Hartley - Dundee - 47.59

J Fowler - QOTS - 45.95

J McNamara - Dundee Utd - 45.11

S Aitken - Dumbarton - 43.55

P Houston - Falkirk - 43.15

R McKinnon - Raith - 43.10

D McInnes - Aberdeen - 42.48

I Baraclough - Motherwell - 42.36

J Hughes - ICT - 40.38

J McIntyre - Ross County - 40.14

T Wright - St J - 39.84

I Murray - St Mirren - 37.96

J Duffy - Morton - 37.07

A Archibald - Partick Thistle - 35.00

D Lennon - Alloa - 32.33

M Burchill - Livingston - 28.57

G Locke - Killie - 25.76

M Canning - Hamilton - 16.67

Average here is 41.98 which Duffy falls below.

And, from that list, I would say Hughes, McIntyre, Wright, Murray, Archibald and Lennon have all done quite well. Surely a better barometer would be comparing the difference in win ratios to the previous manager at the club before them.

It's also a ridiculous point to make given that Aitkens just taken over a team with no signed players and built a competitive squad in just over 3 weeks. Not sure what reason justifys the view that Aitken couldn't have built a team to the same or better quality that Duffy did.

Maybe the fact that Aitken had longer than that last season yet came second to Duffy and the tactically inept performance from Stranraer in the decider against us.

Maybe the fact that Aitken had longer than that last season yet came second to Duffy and the tactically inept performance from Stranraer in the decider against us.

Because the resources Aitken had with Stranraer are comparable to the resources Duffy had with Morton, of course.

No it's about setting up the right team and getting tactics right not choking against Dunfermline and getting the plan completely wrong against Morton and Forfar.

Again, you didn't see a single game last season, so you are in absolutely no position to comment on Duffy's tactics.

Yes, but you were suggesting that Duffy did a better job than Aitken because his tactics were better, which you have absolutely no clue about.

No I am not. I am refuting a suggestion that Duffy alledegly having greater resources thus had the edge on Stranraer and that a reversal of roles with Aitken at Morton and Duffy at Stranraer would somehow have seen Morton romp league 1. Poor performances in key games did it for Stranraer and that was down to Aiken . Being out thought by Duffy in three out of four games does not in my opinion justify the repeated attempts by some of the muppets on here to denigrate Dufffy. He is better than Aitken who has probably found his limit at mighty Dimbarton.

No I am not. I am refuting a suggestion that Duffy alledegly having greater resources thus had the edge on Stranraer and that a reversal of roles with Aitken at Morton and Duffy at Stranraer would somehow have seen Morton romp league 1. Poor performances in key games did it for Stranraer and that was down to Aiken . Being out thought by Duffy in three out of four games does not in my opinion justify the repeated attempts by some of the muppets on here to denigrate Dufffy. He is better than Aitken who has probably found his limit at mighty Dimbarton.

:lol:

You haven't seen a single ball kicked by any team managed by Jim Duffy or Stephen Aitken, so are in no place to comment.

:lol:

You haven't seen a single ball kicked by any team managed by Jim Duffy or Stephen Aitken, so are in no place to comment.

Oh dear I seem to be dealing with someone swimming in the same gene pool as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne. You have no idea what games i have been too though given there was at least BBC Alba coverage I did think you would have come up with a better retort than that.

Just admit it, your hatred of all things Duffy is based on innate prejudice. If it works for you that's fine. Maybe some day the lights will come on and wonder how come if Duffy is so bad and most of his team are crap we actually won the league. And please don't come back with the usual crap about seaside leagues. Aitken didn't pull it off.

Edited by Branch Ton

Oh dear I seem to be dealing with someone swimming in the same gene pool as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne. You have no idea what games i have been too though given there was at least BBC Alba coverage I did think you would have come up with a better retort than that.

Just admit it, your hatred of all things Duffy is based on innate prejudice. If it works for you that's fine. Maybe some day the lights will come on and wonder how come if Duffy is so bad and most of his team are crap we actually won the league. And please don't come back with the usual crap about seaside leagues. Aitken didn't pull it off.

Tell me something, don't you find it slightly odd that a very large proportion of those fans who saw a Jim Duffy side play near enough every single week think he did a terrible job? Don't you think they're in an infinitely better position to judge than you, and that the sheer quantity of fans calling for his head despite promotion says something about Duffy as a manager?

But no, it must be everyone else that's wrong, not you.

With our resources, team, and being full time, we should've walked League 1. A few of the PT teams were alright, but Duffy made hard work of beating them - and we also lost 11 times to PT teams last season. 13 including Spartans :( and Alloa in the cups.

It was clear throughout the season that Duffy didn't have a clue when it came to tactics and substitution. And we wouldn't have one the league if Forfar and Stranraer didn't bottle it with 2/3 games to go.

Tell me something, don't you find it slightly odd that a very large proportion of those fans who saw a Jim Duffy side play near enough every single week think he did a terrible job? Don't you think they're in an infinitely better position to judge than you, and that the sheer quantity of fans calling for his head despite promotion says something about Duffy as a manager?

But no, it must be everyone else that's wrong, not you.

Not saying Duffy did a great job in the sense of the product on offer. Just that he was the best we could get in the sense of who would have been willing to take the job at the time. Promotion was absolutely vital and he achieved that. Beyond that I would suggest that if Aitken was the manager there is no way that Peaso or Tidser would have resigned.

I'm not panicking about it because we've still got a month to go so there's no need to rush into signing duds just to get the squad together more quickly, but are there no rumours or anything? Above all else, the lack of signing news is boring as f**k.