The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Remember, this is my opinion. Poor signings, players being played out of position, constantly changing the team, losing 12 games in a poor seaside league, getting knocked out of the Scottish cup by Spartans. It took half of the season to assess the squad. The team played as many bad games as they did good ones. IMO, we were lucky that we won the league. So by your reckoning (100% success), all of the above is ok. This season, while other teams are recruiting well, we are not. I'm not constantly negative. In fact, I'm losing interest. Do you winge at the other fans who post negative comments, or is it just me? When Duffy leaves, I expect you will too.

He doesn't have a clue. He had us top of the league, and we sacked him, and believe me, it was totally justified.

Can't see him lasting past December to be honest and that's being kind.

If you guys had a decent manager this season, I reckon you'd be right in the mix with us as one of the fancied teams in pre-season to be genuine playoff chasers. As it stands though, Duffy is a dribbling neanderthal who seems to find gainful employment based on the fact that his stock used to be high, as in 2 decades ago. I really hope I'm wrong as if we're going to be here for a few years - as seems quite likely - most Saints fans would prefer to have you in this league with us.

Edited by djchapsticks

Can't see him lasting past December to be honest and that's being kind.

I can see him lasting well into the second half of the season, because he's a pet of the chairman; McInally had to offer his resignation three times before it was accepted, the last time we took a complete diddy manager with us into this division.

Yeah, results will more than likely be bad enough that he should be gone by November, but this is Douglas Rae we're talking about. Every manager is given too long and it'll be the same with Duffy.

I've tried to maintain some optimism on the basis that we have a core of solid Championship players in Gaston, Tidser, Forbes, Barr and MacDonald and still have signings to make, but ultimately to maintain optimism about the season ahead you have to ignore absolutely everything you know about Jim Duffy. Even in the event that every signing he makes is a good one and those signings are in the correct positions - which is unlikely - the fact is that any football team is massively hindered by being managed by Jim Duffy regardless of how good the players are.

Looking forward to the season and the signings but when you quickly remember who the manager is it all optimism kinda trickles down your leg like warm pish.

Still, lots of added interest with the draw of the teams in it so there will be some cracking away days.

Tbh I really don't think you can start slagging off other teams grounds.

Are you going tomorrow to paint your embarrassment of a football ground?

Think I prefer bus shelters to shitehouses myself. Each to their own of course

Yeah, results will more than likely be bad enough that he should be gone by November, but this is Douglas Rae we're talking about. Every manager is given too long and it'll be the same with Duffy.

I've tried to maintain some optimism on the basis that we have a core of solid Championship players in Gaston, Tidser, Forbes, Barr and MacDonald and still have signings to make, but ultimately to maintain optimism about the season ahead you have to ignore absolutely everything you know about Jim Duffy. Even in the event that every signing he makes is a good one and those signings are in the correct positions - which is unlikely - the fact is that any football team is massively hindered by being managed by Jim Duffy regardless of how good the players are.

His career win rate is better than most of his peers so what facts exactly are you basing " massively hindered" on?

His career win rate is better than most of his peers so what facts exactly are you basing " massively hindered" on?

No, it's not.

In this league, only Danny Lennon has a lower win rate...

Edited by #Gary

He's doing a good job, f.... accept that!!

If you could construct an argument to support that opinion then some people might accept that. As it is, all you do is lash out at anyone who criticises him without attempting to rebut their points.

If you could construct an argument to support that opinion then some people might accept that. As it is, all you do is lash out at anyone who criticises him without attempting to rebut their points.

It's a bit rich asking someone to construct an argument to rebut an assertion that any team managed by Duffy is massively hindered by his presence. He is clearly not the best manager in the world but taking into account the good and bad points I can see nothing to suggest that he is markedly worse than the other managers in this league. He did better than all of the managers in the first division last year.

It's absurd also to pretend that Duffy is doing everything on his own. He has MacPherson and is reliant on Millen/Hopkin for emerging talent. Given his background one would expect that he is better at networking in the agent/player /.club environment than most. For me now is the crunch time, he needs to find a quality goal scorer, an experienced holding midfielder and a right sided wing back. No idea where he is looking or who has been approached but it would be plain daft for the club to conduct its business in public. At the end of the day it will probably all come down to whether we can get the better of Alloa and Dumbarton in our 8 games and also Livi and Raith. On that basis the new striker is key. As he let Caldwell go would like to think that has someone pacey to play off Peaso in mind, but who knows.

M