The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Huge fan of Franko's but not sure he's good enough for the Championship. He's superb at dealing with the rough and tumble but I don't think he's all that handy at dealing with balls in behind. Scott Rumsby might be the better bet.

I do hope it works out for him at Morton though. Jim Duffy has a propensity for signing centre-backs that don't seem to be all that great.

Give him at least a game before we start abusing him.....

We said the same about Lamie last season and he ended up being one of our best players last season.

To be fair, I'm not sure saying "rubbish" on an online forum counts as abuse. And I'm not too sure that you can really say that Lamie was one of our best players last season. He had a strong run in for the most part but still could have cost us with his foolish sending off against Stranraer. He ended up being a solid player for us, but over the course of the season there were half a dozen better players at the very least.

I agree with your general point, but with an important caution. Lamie did drastically improve as the season went on - partly due to his move in position but also, as he said himself, through benefitting from full-time training. Stef McCluskey was another player who made a similar improvement. And I think the fans did respond well to how they turned things around. However, we don't want to be waiting 6 months for players to adjust to the step-up again - we won't get away with that again.

I meant the level of player that Duffy is signing. Don't know anything about the boy. Lamie and McLuskey were awful in the first half of the season! Is that what we have to look forward to? Rubbish.

Give him at least a game before we start abusing him.....

We said the same about Lamie last season and he ended up being one of our best players last season.

That wasn't really the case, at an absolutely rancid, League One level. Can only be uninspired by the lack of proven quality coming to the club; some players will of course make the step up comfortably - others won't - but we already have enough players with question marks from last season's squad to deal with.

That wasn't really the case, at an absolutely rancid, League One level. Can only be uninspired by the lack of proven quality coming to the club; some players will of course make the step up comfortably - others won't - but we already have enough players with question marks from last season's squad to deal with.

Disagree.

The last 6 months of the season, McManus, Gaston, Russell, Forbes and Lamie were consistently good( some better than others) with Lamie cementing his place as our best centre half.

Surprised at the lack of quality additions by you guys. I thought you'd come up with all guns blazing and add 4-5 proven championship players. If that's gonna be the level of your additions, given that you've had 6/7 weeks now, you'll do well to escape the play off at best.

Morti, on 19 Jun 2015 - 16:45, said:

:bairn

:lol:

Although I will be reserving judgement on the squad on the whole until the season starts. What I will say is that last season doesn't exactly leave me optimistic about our chances in a tough Championship.

I'm happy to reserve judgement on McKeown, I remember nothing of him from last season other than it being from his header that Gaston pulled off the best save of all time on the second last day.

What's far more concerning to me isn't the standard of player we're bringing in, but the positions we're looking at adding to. McPherson said last week that there would only be another three or four signings, after McKeown that means another two or three. We still need an absolute minimum of five IMO, and the most important of them all is a holding midfielder. Yet Duffy's comments throughout the window would suggest that he's not even thinking about a holding midfielder: he'd rather sign yet another centre back then use two of the six we'll then have in holding midfield rather than a real holding midfielder who actually knows how to play the role.

Alright, everything has now been confirmed for 10am on Saturday morning for those volunteers that have offered to help out with painting etc at Cappielow. The club have arranged for an experienced painter to come in and give us some pointers and general instructions, just to keep us in the right direction.

So, see you guys at Cappielow on Saturday morning.

Received a short email from the club, passed on from the painter that will be with us tomorrow. If anyone could bring any of the following items along, it would help out, but it's not essential.

- if any can fit small steps in their cars great
- carrier bags for brushes and rollers
- rags/kitchen roll for cleaning up at end of day
- any old dust sheets/bed sheets
- gloves & wear old clothing
As said above, it's no big deal if you can't, just been asked to pass on the message.
See all the volunteers tomorrow.

Disagree.

The last 6 months of the season, McManus, Gaston, Russell, Forbes and Lamie were consistently good( some better than others) with Lamie cementing his place as our best centre half.

Being decent in the second half after failing throughout the first part doesn't actually make him a top performer; and says absolutely nothing about the squad at this substantially higher level.

Unbelievable!!

Go and support the Midden and give us all some peace!! though

Can't wait until Duffy is inevitably binned and you slither off the forum never to be seen again; we'll still be here though.