The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

So after last season's near embarrassment; we won the league to return at the first time of asking.

Current squad looks something like -

Keepers; Gaston and Adam

Defenders; Kilday, Lamie, O'Ware, Russell, Miller

Midfielders; McKee, Barr, Forbes, Pepper, Tidser, Stef McCluskey, Scullion

Forwards; Peaso..

Not entirely sure if I've missed anyone out.

We've been linked with a few ex-sevco disasters, James McFadden, the Stranraer captain and some lad that plays for Celtic under-20s who was on loan at inspiring outfit East Stirlingshire last season.

Dull mood around Cappielow right now.

Edited by Tri-TON

Good to be back. Looking forward to trips to Easter Road and 4 games against St Mirren. I saw somewhere that the play-offs were the aim, but I'll happily take 8th place in our first season back.

I think we need at least 4/5 players in - preferably with a bit of experience.

We're clearly going to struggle with Slaphead in charge and now holding the 100% support of the chairman - bear in mind it took Jim McInally to offer his resignation twice in our previous return before Rae finally accepted that he was an incompetent manager.

We'll need more quality in our squad than several other teams to compensate for that.

Would like to see Iain Davidson brought in (if he's still got the legs), still annoyed that Caldwell was released, feel as if Duffy will regret his decision.

I wonder if the reason he got freed is attitude rather than talent related. Of our pre-season signings last season, he looked the best. It was a bad bunch though.

I wonder if the reason he got freed is attitude rather than talent related. Of our pre-season signings last season, he looked the best. It was a bad bunch though.

I've heard apparently him and The Duff didn't see eye to eye. Don't reckon there's many more strikers of his ability or better that will be available.

I've heard apparently him and The Duff didn't see eye to eye. Don't reckon there's many more strikers of his ability or better that will be available.

Of all the players we signed last season, I would have kept him at the very least as a squad player. Maybe Brian Graham might be persuaded to head back to the championship?

Not sure about the rest of the team but at least Tidser will be well rested for the upcoming season.

No, the club already have the story drafted for when he breaks his leg the friday before the first game, is released, and signs for St Mirren in January, giving him two full games to score as many times as he likes against us.

Has he been to Alton Towers?

arry.png

Going through the positions we have the following:

Goalkeepers:

Gaston - definitely good enough

Adam - dreadful, but won't matter if Gaston stays fit

Full-backs:

Kilday - definitely not good enough to start, new right back needed

Russell - happy to give him a chance to make the step up, but having competition would be nice

Centre backs:

O'Ware - Could be a solid centre back at this level with a more experienced partner, but Duffy seems to think he's a holding midfielder

Miller - Could be a solid centre back at this level with a more experienced partner, but Duffy seems to think he's a holding midfielder

Lamie - Fine as cover at centre back, never ever allow him to go near left back

Holding midfielders:

We have none. O'Ware and Miller cannot perform this role competently. Urgently needed.

Central midfielders:

Tidser - Messiah

Forbes - Not quite as good as Tidser, but still a good player who has won this league before

Pepper - solid cover for Tidser and Forbes if we need someone a bit more direct in an attacking role in the middle, could play on the right if we're stuck

McKee - very similar player to Tidser and Forbes but nowhere near as good as either, no idea why we kept him though could play on the right if we're desperate

Wide midfielders:

Barr - solid signing

McCluskey - decent cover but not good enough to start. Another starter needed here.

Forwards:

MacDonald - Still an excellent player at this level, but can't guarantee that he'll stay fit so need real competition

Scullion - Technically very good but not had a run of games yet due to injuries and can't see him being suited to playing as a lone striker in the 4-5-1 which we should be playing. Probably just an impact sub when we're chasing games, might be inclined to use him playing off another striker in more of an attacking midfield role

So at an absolute minimum we need a right back, a centre back, a holding midfielder, a wide midfielder and a striker, and we should really be making that two strikers, potentially two centre backs and in an ideal world two wide midfielders and competition at left back, but there's no chance of the last two.

We'll hopefully be looking at a starting XI like this:

Gaston

New - O'Ware/Miller - New - Russell

Barr - Forbes - New - Tidser - New

MacDonald

If the new players in that side are all decent Championship players, that team should stay up. Improve on our frankly dreadful defence which wasn't any better last season than the disaster area we had when we were humiliated every week last time we were in this division, give that defence real protection from midfield and we'll allow the creative players to concentrate on attacking.

Tidser, Forbes, Barr and MacDonald could form the basis of a decent side, but if Barr has a weak full-back behind him we're going to be horribly exposed down that side, if we don't have a real holding midfielder and/or improved options out wide supporting Tidser and Forbes their effectiveness will be negated, if we expect MacDonald to carry the attack and don't have real alternatives to him then he gets injured we're fucked for options up there. If all of that applies along with failing to adequately strengthen the defence, we'll be relegated in the same humiliating fashion as we were two seasons ago.

The signings we make in the next six weeks are massive: they can make the difference between a season safe from relegation in 6th/7th and a season as cannon fodder ending in a distant 10th place.