The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

13 hours ago, baba douche said:

1455610911_Screenshot_20230107_190124_SamsungInternet.jpg.af54eaf34b2ecf99ca101e8863b7bd92.jpg

Ahh yes, the Dedicated Followers of Fashion....... 😁

For so many of you lot it's more about the fashion than the fitba'. As you rarely fail to confirm. 👍

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

7 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

That seems a bit much if you are looking for 6 central midfielders, would almost be a 3rd of what your full squad was last year.  I suppose some may be able to play in different positions, but seems an awful lot.

FWIW, I would be surprised if you are going for Low, maybe a season or 2 back, but must be a bit over the hill now, surely no better than Ali Crawford.

King is only 18 and still very raw so could argue it would be 4 established midfielders and that's assuming Low actually signs.

We got a tad lucky this season that Gillespie, Crawford and Blues never picked up any real injuries and played pretty much every week.

I'd personally get King out on loan to a league 1 team( QOTS maybe) and bring 2 new midfielders in. 

I’d take Low as a cheap-but-experienced squad option, but I’m not convinced he’s an Imrie-type player… and I’ll be amazed if we sign more than one in centre-mid, given what we already have. Good to know he’s an option, but definitely not a priority.

Would also be happy to see Miller back: I had more or less written him off, but he’s been very good since the Hamilton game.

Grimshaw and Quitongo are the biggies, tho: hard to see where we get players of their type (Quitongo) or quality (Grimshaw) from elsewhere.

Then it’s see what Dougie can pull in terms of a keeper (or two)… and  one or two obvious ‘upgrades’ elsewhere.

17 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

FWIW, I would be surprised if you are going for Low, maybe a season or 2 back, but must be a bit over the hill now, surely no better than Ali Crawford.

David Bangala is better than Ali Crawford.

Maybe we could make room for two midfielders to come in, but if it's only going to be one we need either someone in the mould of Andy Murdoch who is ridiculously energetic to make our pressing even more horrible to play against or a big physical b*****d, as contrary to popular belief the thing this Morton team really lacks is height and a physical presence. We're too easily dominated in midfield if a game descends into a scrap, which was the foundation of four of our five home defeats being Ayr and Arbroath.

I don't really see where Low fits in an Imrie team.

10 hours ago, madton said:

King is only 18 and still very raw so could argue it would be 4 established midfielders and that's assuming Low actually signs.

We got a tad lucky this season that Gillespie, Crawford and Blues never picked up any real injuries and played pretty much every week.

I'd personally get King out on loan to a league 1 team( QOTS maybe) and bring 2 new midfielders in. 

There's no point in King going anywhere. He showed excellent promise already this season and should be continuing his development at this level, not dropping down. 

His goal should be to start more matches next season.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’d take Low as a cheap-but-experienced squad option, but I’m not convinced he’s an Imrie-type player… and I’ll be amazed if we sign more than one in centre-mid, given what we already have. Good to know he’s an option, but definitely not a priority.

Would also be happy to see Miller back: I had more or less written him off, but he’s been very good since the Hamilton game.

Grimshaw and Quitongo are the biggies, tho: hard to see where we get players of their type (Quitongo) or quality (Grimshaw) from elsewhere.

Then it’s see what Dougie can pull in terms of a keeper (or two)… and  one or two obvious ‘upgrades’ elsewhere.

Low is quality well atleast he was for us, he gets about the middle of the park and wins the ball back so well too only realised how good he was at that side of the game after he left. He was very quick and nippy over 5/10 yards and a wand of a left peg. Clever clever player.

I don’t know if the last season not playing as much and then playing at such a low level will affect that but the guy was a class act for us I absolutely loved him.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

There's no point in King going anywhere. He showed excellent promise already this season and should be continuing his development at this level, not dropping down. 

His goal should be to start more matches next season.

Agree with that. Financial reality means the squad needs to have players in all departments who might not play every week, but are good enough to come in if necessary... and are not on a significant wage. King fits that bill for me.

If we can add one who is better than what we've got, we'd have Gillespie, Crawford, New as a favoured starting three, with Blues and King for depth (and McGrattan can play in there too if necessary).

Of course, if Imrie persists with Muirhead as an unorthodox off-the-striker player in a version of 4-2-3-1 (and he very well might, given how keen he was to get Muirhead and Oakley both in the team), you'd only have two starting in centre-mid... which makes the above look very comfortable. The priority then  becomes another option who can play right up top or off the striker, much more than another centre-mid.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Low is quality well atleast he was for us, he gets about the middle of the park and wins the ball back so well too only realised how good he was at that side of the game after he left. He was very quick and nippy over 5/10 yards and a wand of a left peg. Clever clever player.

I don’t know if the last season not playing as much and then playing at such a low level will affect that but the guy was a class act for us I absolutely loved him.

We know he's a good player -- and we know he loves the Ton -- but, as above (and as @Dunning1874 has said), we probaly don't have room for a player like Low AND a run-all-day/physical presence centre-mid.

That, and questions about his ability to train full-time, given the injury background, make him look a very un-Imrie type of player. My guess is that we'd only be looking at him if other options fall through; that's not faint praise, btw, because I've no doubt he'd be a credible option for us.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What happened to Efe? Seemed he started off well enough. He got allot of stick for last season for hs but he wasn't the worst IMO. 

Did us a good turn, had a couple of Efe moments but otherwise I'd say his spell was a success. He is getting leggy though and has been displaced by the much younger (and presumably cheaper) O'Connor.

On 08/05/2023 at 15:40, btb said:

Bit of revisionist theory from Ton fans here, one of the sites stattos went thru the prediction thread and you were generally predicted to finish 7th/8th - congrats anyway on finishing 5th!

Based on everyone's predictions, the league table looks like this 

1. Dundee
2. Partick Thistle
3. ICT
4. Raith Rovers
5. Arbroath
6. Queen's Park
7. Morton
8. Ayr Utd
9. Cove Rangers
10. Hamilton

Most predicted place for each team

1st  Dundee  (68)
2nd  Partick Th (40)
3rd  ICT (45)
4th Arbroath (27)
5th  Raith (28)
5th  Queen's Park (20)
8th  Morton (22)
9th  Ayr Utd (30)
10th  Cove Rangers (24)
10th  Hamilton (44)

Going by the each way odds I got at the start of the season, we weren't rated that highly. I got 25-1 Morton, though I also got 40-1 for Queen's Park.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Might be a load of garbage but rumours doing the rounds linking Ambrose to QOS (pals with Bartley etc). So the question is ... how bad? Anything left?

He was a good short-term signing that got us out of a hole when O’Connor was injured, and nobody was upset about extending his deal until the summer, but I doubt anyone would have wanted to keep him.

As you would expect, there was the odd moment that gave you the fear and he had a nightmare at Celtic Park, but that was to be expected against a team of that quality.

Going down to League One is the natural step for him and he should deal with it okay, but don’t pin your hopes on him week in, week out.

Overall, his time at Cappielow was a positive experience, but more because he was a good man to have around the club/cult hero to the fans than because he was any good. Should be fine against shite like “Falkirk” though.

15 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Might be a load of garbage but rumours doing the rounds linking Ambrose to QOS (pals with Bartley etc). So the question is ... how bad? Anything left?

He was a class act when he came in for us. Defended the box very well and played the ball out well too (wouldn't have wanted him exposed against a quick striker though). He really helped us out in an awkward moment in our season. He did overdo it a few times and had a stinker at Celtic park, but he's still got quality. 

The legs are going though, and O'Connor came back in and got stronger and stronger as the season went on. I'm not sure how much he's got left in the tank or if he's up to playing every week over a season but we've had way worse at this level. He wasn't going to displace O'Connor and Baird but he would've been good back up and I'd be happy to have him at league one level. You never know when it's going to be one season too many, but on the evidence of this season he'd be a good signing for any League One club. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Clearly a quality player in his prime, but was always prone to the odd spectacular gaffe is my recollection. As you say, might do a job for a season at L1 level. Hardly building a squad for the future stuff though. Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Clearly a quality player in his prime, but was always prone to the odd spectacular gaffe is my recollection. As you say, might do a job for a season at L1 level. Hardly building a squad for the future stuff though. Cheers.

Might help you sword Falkirk though and that's worth every penny.

I think he'd still totally stroll league one tbh.