The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks (and for me it's more about finishing as high as we can than a rigged play-off), there's plenty of cause for optimism going into next season. We have a manager with a hard, hard head who has raised standards and expectations from the loser mentality that became normalised under MacPherson. And we have a core of players who've shown they're good enough to be part of a credible squad at this level, with maybe over half being good enough to start most weeks:

Pignatiello, Baird, O'Connor, Gillespie, Blues, Crawford, King, McGrattan, Muirhead, and Oakley (Lyon remains to be seen, but perhaps unlikely; correct me if I've missed anybody else).

A keeper, two full-backs, another wide player, and another option right up front would be the priorities for me, but it's case of building around what we've got, rather than trying to pull a squad together from scratch. Five or six signings of the right quality and we could really become the team we've seen glimpses of this season.

(As above, a bit of extra prize-money for finishing 4th instead of 6th could be decisive.)

*Two keepers.

We’ve gambled on one pretty much since we had Gaston and McNeill about 5-6 years ago now and it’s about time we had options there.

I’m at pains to criticise Schwake (or McAdams or Hamilton for that matter) but there has been times he’s needed taken out the firing line and we’ve just not been able to do that. For the most part, we’ve got away with it over the years, but we really have to start looking at having proper cover in that position.

46 minutes ago, Toby said:

*Two keepers.

We’ve gambled on one pretty much since we had Gaston and McNeill about 5-6 years ago now and it’s about time we had options there.

I’m at pains to criticise Schwake (or McAdams or Hamilton for that matter) but there has been times he’s needed taken out the firing line and we’ve just not been able to do that. For the most part, we’ve got away with it over the years, but we really have to start looking at having proper cover in that position.

Wouldn’t surprise me if McAdams was back at Cappielow next season. He’s a more than capable Championship goalie and I wouldn’t want to strengthen a rival but there’s no way he’s signing a new contract with us next season after spending a year as a cup goalie for us.

He’s good but not as good as Charlie Albinson. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if McAdams was back at Cappielow next season. He’s a more than capable Championship goalie and I wouldn’t want to strengthen a rival but there’s no way he’s signing a new contract with us next season after spending a year as a cup goalie for us.

He’s good but not as good as Charlie Albinson. 

I saw that mentioned by an Ayr fan (possibly yourself) in the last week or so, but to be honest I don’t see it. Imrie’s post match interview on Tuesday would suggest to me that his eyes are firmly fixed on Ryan Fulton and I don’t see McAdams leaving one Championship bench to go and sit on another.

Failing bringing in Fulton, I’d imagine Jack Hamilton may well be back on the radar if Schwake returns to Livingston as their number two.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I take Jai has not signed. Does he have a deal elsewhere? 

Nothing said at all, but I think he’ll be looking for more dough than he’s on (and why wouldn’t he?).

If we could add Grimshaw and Quitongo to the ten under contract, that would be immense; but hard to see it happening (although Quitongo more likely than Grimshaw).

2 hours ago, Toby said:

*Two keepers.

Agree we’ve been thin at times in that position, sometimes ridiculously, but it’s all about budget/priorities. I’d rather have one clear first choice and acceptable cover than two players on the kind of wages experienced players will be after.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

I saw that mentioned by an Ayr fan (possibly yourself) in the last week or so, but to be honest I don’t see it. Imrie’s post match interview on Tuesday would suggest to me that his eyes are firmly fixed on Ryan Fulton and I don’t see McAdams leaving one Championship bench to go and sit on another.

Failing bringing in Fulton, I’d imagine Jack Hamilton may well be back on the radar if Schwake returns to Livingston as their number two.

Again, agree: no to McAdams as first choice and bugger paying him a decent wage to sit on the bench (see above).

Yes to Fulton or Hamilton. Schwake has talent, but he lacks the physical presence (or confidence) to come and catch balls when we’re under pressure… priceless at this or any other level.

If Quitongo wants significantly more money then he should provide significantly more end product to justify it. 

We need to be careful not to waste too many resources on players who have done a good job for us this season, but are ultimately replaceable. 

On 18/04/2023 at 12:27, Venti said:

No old strip voting. Partnership to reproduce and sell previous season iconic strips.

Just in case you need a size upgrade or the months have eaten your old one.

Where do we go from here.

Well it looks as if we are in a better shape for putting a squad together for 23/24, as we have a nucleus of players retained.

Strapp has run his race at Cappielow and needs to move on or stagnate. I expect he will be one of our higher earners so Dougie either thinks it's a lost cause or he can use the funds to the better good of the squad. That's  his prerogative.

As said the Hamilton goalie is on his radar. 

I have a bigger concern over McGattan and King.

Dougie's experienced pro approach does not leave much room for bringing through young talent. Also recent open comments on King after the Dundee game must be kept for internal discussion only. Similarly previous ones about Schwake. So as Dougie rightly states they need to learn from mistakes but so does he.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Why not

• 3 weeks later...