The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

15 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Seen it a few times. Here's a couple.

Interesting, thanks. So Darvel, even if they lose to Falkirk, still stand to make nearly £100k in prize money and TV money (on TV x 2) , in addition to gate receipts, merchandise sales, etc. 

5 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Interesting, thanks. So Darvel, even if they lose to Falkirk, still stand to make nearly £100k in prize money and TV money (on TV x 2) , in addition to gate receipts, merchandise sales, etc. 

Funny to think that for any other club at their level this would literally be a generation-changing miracle, whereas it's essentially irrelevant for Darvel because they're not even remotely self-sustaining.

6 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Funny to think that for any other club at their level this would literally be a generation-changing miracle, whereas it's essentially irrelevant for Darvel because they're not even remotely self-sustaining.

Do they need to be, if they have (two?) generous benefactors? I appreciate there must be a fear of doing a Gretna (or Rushden & Diamonds), but it's the same for Kelty Hearts and Cove. They're not the first to have a sugar daddy.

I think they will likely be in the SPFL within five years.

23 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Correct. 

And they'll be beating Falkirk.

30 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Do they need to be, if they have (two?) generous benefactors? I appreciate there must be a fear of doing a Gretna (or Rushden & Diamonds), but it's the same for Kelty Hearts and Cove. They're not the first to have a sugar daddy.

Exactly. Whereas for any other club at that level, a hundred k means floodlights, new stands, or years of rent and electricity bills paid off. For Darvel it might cover one of their physios' wages.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Correct. 

And they'll be beating Falkirk.

In which case they have a 28% chance of drawing one of the Old Firm, if they get them away that's more TV money, greater prize money and ~£200k from ticket sales.

Another non-OF home game could see them progress to the semis. 😲

As a bit of a random observation/question am I right in thinking that Morton are the longest permanent member of the Championship? It’s been quite a few years since you were last promoted and by my calculations nobody else probably matches you in terms of current time in the league. I haven’t googled it right enough by I’m pretty sure everyone else have been up or down.

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

As a bit of a random observation/question am I right in thinking that Morton are the longest permanent member of the Championship? It’s been quite a few years since you were last promoted and by my calculations nobody else probably matches you in terms of current time in the league. I haven’t googled it right enough by I’m pretty sure everyone else have been up or down.

Yes, we are.

6 hours ago, Toby said:

Yes, we are.

I thought you were in with a shout this season, but you seem to have gone off the boil. Would love to see your magnificent old ground n the top flight.

I was watching an episode of Footy Adventures the other day, and an English groundhopper was asked what his favourite stadium was and he said Cappielow.

Best of luck. 

5 hours ago, G_&_T said:

I thought you were in with a shout this season, but you seem to have gone off the boil. Would love to see your magnificent old ground n the top flight.

I was watching an episode of Footy Adventures the other day, and an English groundhopper was asked what his favourite stadium was and he said Cappielow.

Best of luck. 

Ooft, yellow card for that one.

8 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

I love his stuff! He's done a lot to promote Scottish footy at all levels. :) 

I can’t stand him. Comes across as ill informed and condescending, whilst promoting moneyed clubs such as Darvel and Kelty as some form of miracle workers, and increasingly sucking the Rangers boaby.

I was delighted that the only time he visited Cappielow was one of the rare days I was in hospitality rather than the Cowshed.

I should really steer clear of his channel, but like Open Goal, I’m drawn to it because I hate it so much.

1 minute ago, Toby said:

I can’t stand him. Comes across as ill informed and condescending, whilst promoting moneyed clubs such as Darvel and Kelty as some form of miracle workers, and increasingly sucking the Rangers boaby.

I was delighted that the only time he visited Cappielow was one of the rare days I was in hospitality rather than the Cowshed.

I should really steer clear of his channel, but like Open Goal, I’m drawn to it because I hate it so much.

Fair enough. 

I'm ambivalent about 'moneyed clubs'. Is it not good that businessmen are investing in the game at that level? I don't think he's condescending, he always seems genuinely enthusiastic. 

The only criticism I have, is that he tends to interview 12 year old ultras mostly. It would be good if he spoke to some auld yins, too.

But, I appreciate he's not everyone's cup of tea.