The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

46 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We sold it for scrap soon after the MCT takeover.

I wondered whether we still had it, as I think it was stored on that piece of ground that we’ve just acquired behind the gym.

As things are I think the Sinclair Street end is too small at present to make covering and/or seating it commercially viable.  Makes much more sense to cover and maybe seat the Wee Dublin End, though at present that would only be for the benefit of a few hundred away supporters a few times per season.

Personally I think the most economical and sensible things to do in the short term would be  a) to extend the Cowshed roof towards the Sinclair Street end, probably in conjunction with whatever we do with that newly-acquired land, and  b) to establish a permanent position for TV cameras, whether in or above the Cowshed or the main stand. Anything else will be at least a few years down the line IMO. 

15 hours ago, virginton said:

3rd top in toytown land, and you're still definitely moving to Camperdown. As well as groundsharing with Arbroath/Saint Johnstone in the meantime. 

……while looking on enviously at Tannadice across the road…….     🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I wondered whether we still had it, as I think it was stored on that piece of ground that we’ve just acquired behind the gym.

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/19617082.morton-sell-roof-st-mirrens-old-love-street-stadium-12-years-buying-rivals/

The deal to buy it is much mocked but actually, it worked out alright for the club in the end.

The Raes bought it for £50k and paid to have it dragged down the road. The cost of which was effectively added to the debt then written off.

The floodlights were erected  we may or may not still have 3000 seats in storage, and the club pocketed the change from scrapping it.

A profitable transaction.

20 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

As an aside game this wekend.

Just posted on Cup thread.

Has anyone been able to buy a ticket for this match on line, keeps saying site is down?

In previous years you could add a cup match to your season ticket card.

Any news?

5 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

……while looking on enviously at Tannadice across the road…….     🤣🤣🤣

Have you seen the state of the Fruitbowl?

Load of scrap on that pile of shite, you lot should make an offer, maybe make another profit.

Thank you.

On 22/11/2022 at 10:34, DreamOakTree1 said:

I heard a very ambitious suggestion years ago to "cantilever" the Sinclair Street stand over Sinclair Street, supporting it on the car park side, creating a tunnel for traffic up and down Sinclair Street. I would imagine that would be mega-expensive to plan, engineer and install. It would likely dwarf the cost of making the road and wall parallel with the pitch and building the stand within those boundaries. 

I remember that plan - it was during John Wilson's time in charge.

There was even a drawing with a side view showing a bus or something driving through the tunnel under the stand.

On 02/10/2022 at 17:04, Branch Ton said:

What a surprise,  Imrie’s toadie gives you a red dot without deigning to otherwise defend Imrie’s’ clusterf**k of a squad assembly. We are doomed to a future of watching journeymen centre backs and holding midfielders running about a bit pretending to press but playing aimless cross field passes and/or hoof ball as there is no outlet. Sod trying to find and develop creative players. Wouldn’t be surprised if KIng isn’t loaned to Greenock Juniors if he has a dip in form.

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.1358f3462ffdd4f170519b480b520fca.jpg

On 18/09/2022 at 16:12, Branch Ton said:

Of course he ain’t going to fix it. Anyone who thinks two home defeats in a row is a “one off”, gets tactically outwitted by Dick Campbell yet again, can’t coax performances out of the club’s most valuable assets in Lyon and Strapp and favours cronies to ability is probably better off running the Tory Party than managing Morton. 

On 04/09/2022 at 14:11, Branch Ton said:

Lyon and Strapp were the clubs most valuable playing assets not so long ago. . Imrie’s inability to manage and develop them is a huge negative on his CV in my opinion.  Coaches who can set up and manage workaday drones and win percentage games  for a season or two are fairly common but only the best can really develop talent. Imrie falls well short of that at the moment. 

On 07/12/2021 at 18:32, Branch Ton said:

Brilliant stuff. Forget all this proven track record of success bollocks and let’s go for guys who were involved with failed teams.

Presumably in your world a ban for breaching SFA rules on gambling is a big tick on the old CV.

On 24/12/2021 at 06:59, Branch Ton said:

Aw come on, we will get nowhere by simply stating the blindingly obvious and mouthing platitudes. You would hope that our renowned rigorous CV and competence based assessment interview panel didn't fall for that tosh again. As if Gus didn't know draws were no good, though I'll concede he was overly concerned at not losing 3 points to our relegation rivals. Until such time as the tattooed man explains how we will win games, with this and then his own new squad, and then goes on to demonstrate this by achievement I'll reserve judgement. 

On 26/12/2021 at 07:57, Branch Ton said:

Those applicants for the Morton manager’s  job who didn’t even make it to the interview short list given the successful candidate’s  far from extensive achievement record.

IMG-20220305-WA0000.jpg.8804d17c1d8da44b6dea8349c5ea90cc.jpg

4 hours ago, Lochwood said:

think that cup draw will take Morton to another level, already have a very strong robust side hard to beat. 100k at least available to Imrie at a great time used wisely will def get them in the play offs and maybe a bit more.

I'd like to think it would be more than 200k

Assuming it's on TV, that used to get you around 30k odd.

Guessing an average of £17 a ticket. Crowd of roughly 30000 x £17= 510k. 40% of 510k= 204k

204+ 30= 234k 

Of course I'm assuming you still get the extra payment for being on TV,  that tickets will be roughly 15-20 quid, the crowd will be around 30k and we get closer to 40% than a straight split after policing costs etc are taken into account. Of course we don't know some of these things but all pretty fair assumptions IMO.

Either way, I think our final payment will be closer to 200k than 100k 

If Dougie gets his recruitment right, we have a right good chance this season.