The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If Morton were to go up would they do any work on Cappielow? Put a roof and seats on the WDE maybe?

There would be no requirement to but I am sure they club would love to.

Very much doubt we would be rushing out to spend that sort of money though.

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

There would be no requirement to but I am sure they club would love to.

Very much doubt we would be rushing out to spend that sort of money though.

Aye maybe if we went up and stayed up we would make that investment, unless Dalrada are happy to fund it in the summer.

I'd prefer us to build a new stand on Sinclair street with facilities for commercial opportunities, again not cheap!

9 hours ago, madton said:

Aye maybe if we went up and stayed up we would make that investment, unless Dalrada are happy to fund it in the summer.

I'd prefer us to build a new stand on Sinclair street with facilities for commercial opportunities, again not cheap!

Oh I dont know ... I hear Ghost is a bit of a philanthropist. 😉

King's contract extended to 2024 last night:

https://www.gmfc.net/alexander-king-extends-his-contract/ 

It's easy to forget he's only just turned 18, he's played a good number of games for such a young player. 

As for Cappielow in the event of promotion, while under the rules we wouldn't have to do anything in reality we'd have to at the very least get a permanent camera gantry in somewhere. Even before considering fixed positions for VAR cameras, you can tolerate having half the Cowshed taken over for two games a season for TV but if it was every game then that just wouldn't be acceptable, and would cause problems for games with bigger crowds too.

19 hours ago, madton said:

The problem with that is that the Sinclair Street end tapers in depth so doesn't really lend itself to a decent stand.  The answer might be to get Sinclair Street diverted so that it runs parallel with the Sinclair St boundary wall, with the realignment bringing the road back  to meet the main road as the existing junction.  That idea was actually discussed several years ago during Warren Hawke's time as CEO but it never got anywhere.  Idea was to accommodate facilities in the new stand and even possibly have direct access from the car park via a footbridge.  Would have been nice but the cost would almost certainly kill off such an idea.

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The problem with that is that the Sinclair Street end tapers in depth so doesn't really lend itself to a decent stand.  The answer might be to get Sinclair Street diverted so that it runs parallel with the Sinclair St boundary wall, with the realignment bringing the road back  to meet the main road as the existing junction.  That idea was actually discussed several years ago during Warren Hawke's time as CEO but it never got anywhere.  Idea was to accommodate facilities in the new stand and even possibly have direct access from the car park via a footbridge.  Would have been nice but the cost would almost certainly kill off such an idea.

Heard some unofficial rumours that the council are happy to give us Sinclair street so if that is the case, hopefully we can be a bit more creative further down the line.

As you say, all comes down to money so would need help to fund it or for us to have some lengthily time in the Premiership.

I heard a very ambitious suggestion years ago to "cantilever" the Sinclair Street stand over Sinclair Street, supporting it on the car park side, creating a tunnel for traffic up and down Sinclair Street. I would imagine that would be mega-expensive to plan, engineer and install. It would likely dwarf the cost of making the road and wall parallel with the pitch and building the stand within those boundaries. 

Moving the road and shoring up the car park embankment will be prohibitive cost wise.

Building a tunnel structure will be the cheapest solution but it loses the commercial office space potential.

Best option is giving us the road.

Alternatively develop from the Norseman corner and part renew and extend the enclosure.

What happened to all those  stadium development grants!

As an aside game this wekend.

Just posted on Cup thread.

Has anyone been able to buy a ticket for this match on line, keeps saying site is down?

In previous years you could add a cup match to your season ticket card.

Any news?

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

As an aside game this wekend.

Just posted on Cup thread.

Has anyone been able to buy a ticket for this match on line, keeps saying site is down?

In previous years you could add a cup match to your season ticket card.

Any news?

It's broken.

As @Paisley Ton and others have said, any of the options for redeveloping the ground will be eye-wateringly expensive.

Key thing is that any capital investment would have to enhance existing revenue streams and/or introduce entirely new ones, but even then the risks are pretty significant.

You could argue that sticking a roof on the WDE might bring in a 100 or so additional away punters a game, but that's a gamble, and the additional 40k a season it might bring in would mean the initial outlay would take several years to pay off. Genuinely hard to see how we do anything more than small-scale improvements over a period of years.

That's not going to stop me dreaming of a Boca-style gallery stand squeezed into Sinclair Street, arranged into open boxes for groups of 10, with a social club for members and season-ticket holders on the ground floor... knock that up for three or four hundred thousand and we have the best football ground in Scotland...

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

2nd top in toytown land, and you're building cantilever stands and monorails.

😂

3rd top in toytown land, and you're still definitely moving to Camperdown. As well as groundsharing with Arbroath/Saint Johnstone in the meantime. 

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That's not going to stop me dreaming of a Boca-style gallery stand squeezed into Sinclair Street, arranged into open boxes for groups of 10, with a social club for members and season-ticket holders on the ground floor... knock that up for three or four hundred thousand and we have the best football ground in Scotland...

Having snapped up the adjacent land, it's time to complete the ultimate VIP entrance. Home turnstile set up through the shady locked door in The Norseman (turned into a club bar), running straight into the Cowshed with hospitality boxes above (not stocked by the current Norseman). 

Make it happen. 

16 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Moving the road and shoring up the car park embankment will be prohibitive cost wise.

Building a tunnel structure will be the cheapest solution but it loses the commercial office space potential.

Best option is giving us the road.

Alternatively develop from the Norseman corner and part renew and extend the enclosure.

What happened to all those  stadium development grants!

You don't need to "shore up" the car park embankment - I assume you mean a retaining wall.  Just dig out material & move the slope of the embankment over a bit.  Not terribly expensive to do that, but tbh i think any significant investment in the ground would need to lead to increased income of there's no point.  Putting a roof over the WDE is probably the cheapest option (not necessarily the old Love St one which I suspect may have suffered a lot of corrosion over the years, if it hasn't been chopped up and sold for scrap).  Wouldn't be too difficult to fit seats to the existing bench seating although it's many years since I was in the WDE so no idea what sort of condition the terracing is in.

32 minutes ago, Alibi said:

not necessarily the old Love St one which I suspect may have suffered a lot of corrosion over the years, if it hasn't been chopped up and sold for scrap).  Wouldn't be too difficult to fit seats to the existing bench seating 

We sold it for scrap soon after the MCT takeover.

Not sure about the seats (when covering the WDE was mooted previously, it was said that we had 3000 seats waiting to be used).