The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 07/11/2022 at 13:42, Jan Vojáček said:

Yeah I can't see him hanging around at us after January unless he's playing more regularly from the start every week. The only thing that counts against him is that our starting wingers are usually two of Kalvin Orsi, Ross MacLean and Gregg Wylde. Garrity is, imo, probably better going forward than all three of them - but not quite as savvy defensively. And we're a team built on defensive solidity. His only start came when Stevie Farrell went more attacking against Stirling Albion. And we were pumped 6-0 - which maybe spooked him a bit.

We signed Garrity after we loaned out Callum Wilson to Broomhill, and he seems to be doing well there by all accounts. So I wouldn't be shocked to see both players back at their parent clubs come January.

I'd heard at the time that Imrie sent Garrity out on loan because he needs to work on his defensive work off the  ball so I suppose it makes sense why he's not been starting games for you if that's something required in your system as well. 

There's definite talent in there and there's still plenty time to work on that side of the game for him. Hopefully he gets a few starts for you between now and January as nothing will help him develop his weaknesses quicker than actual games. 

On 02/10/2022 at 17:04, Branch Ton said:

What a surprise,  Imrie’s toadie gives you a red dot without deigning to otherwise defend Imrie’s’ clusterf**k of a squad assembly. We are doomed to a future of watching journeymen centre backs and holding midfielders running about a bit pretending to press but playing aimless cross field passes and/or hoof ball as there is no outlet. Sod trying to find and develop creative players. Wouldn’t be surprised if KIng isn’t loaned to Greenock Juniors if he has a dip in form.

Behold a Catherine wheel of utter fail, flailing in every direction possible there. You hate to see it happen. 

5a3071fcb1526_efecig.png.4623aab61af0f7be0e9c950f7cb25a05.png.4926386a451e03132b6430417307eb2f.png.af6f023ba061bd735019e0c0bc373194.png

On 02/10/2022 at 17:46, skysthelimit said:

Dougie bubble well and truly burst I see . Only 4 subs that’s got to ring alarm bells 

Turns out it's an endlessly self-inflating bubble champ. 

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.1358f3462ffdd4f170519b480b520fca.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

Hopefully we hear news on Grimshaw extending his stay soon. He had a rusty start whilst he got up to match fitness but has been very good for a while now and has been a key part of our recent success.

A 18 month deal would be magic, a 30 month deal, even better!

Hopefully we are speaking to Strapp and Crawford too. 

9 hours ago, madton said:

Hopefully we hear news on Grimshaw extending his stay soon. He had a rusty start whilst he got up to match fitness but has been very good for a while now and has been a key part of our recent success.

A 18 month deal would be magic, a 30 month deal, even better!

Hopefully we are speaking to Strapp and Crawford too. 

Aye, whatever else happens this season, I'd be wanting to keep Grimshaw, Strapp, O'Connor, Ambrose, Gillespie, Crawford, and Quitongo (Schwake on loan again, too, if possible).

A case could be made for one or two others n'all... 🤫

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, whatever else happens this season, I'd be wanting to keep Grimshaw, Strapp, O'Connor, Ambrose, Gillespie, Crawford, and Quitongo (Schwake on loan again, too, if possible).

A case could be made for one or two others n'all... 🤫

Apart from Lithgow, I don't think we currently have any players that I would consider we absolutely need to get rid of.  Hynes probably. A year or so ago I'd have said Blues, but he's improved a lot under Dougie and his runs into the box seem to produce results - maybe controversial but i think he currently merits his pace in the starting line up.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Apart from Lithgow, I don't think we currently have any players that I would consider we absolutely need to get rid of.  Hynes probably. A year or so ago I'd have said Blues, but he's improved a lot under Dougie and his runs into the box seem to produce results - maybe controversial but i think he currently merits his pace in the starting line up.

Would agree with that, Lithgow and Hynes are probably the 2 players we should be trying to move on.

Hynes should try and find a club in League 2, needs to be playing games at his age, he's 24 in Jan. Lithgow's fitness clearly an issue. Not sure what his short term plans are around continuing playing. I've heard its a possibility he will chuck it and move into personal training or something like that.  Perhaps we can agree a deal to let him move on in Jan and we can save a few quid. I'm assuming he is one of our top earners after signing a 2 year deal from Livvy.

If we can bring 3 or 4 new players in, I'd be happy to let King and/or McGregor go out on loan to get game time too, possibly league 2/lowland league. Garrity not getting much game time at Dumbarton so wonder if he will come back. Don't expect to see Lyon again and Jacobs is clearly finished with us.

I think Jan will be quite busy for us. Heard from a few different sources than Dougie will have decent funds available to bring in some quality players( thanks Dalrada). A few quality final 3rd additions and a top 4 finish should be realistic, only issue is actually finding them! 

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

A year or so ago I'd have said Blues, but he's improved a lot under Dougie and his runs into the box seem to produce results - maybe controversial but i think he currently merits his pace in the starting line up.

Two-year deal, so will definitely be here (ditto Baird and McGrattan, I think).

The one that will divide opinion is a certain born-again ‘centre forward’; personally, I’d be waiting to see if he can sustain decent form over most of a season and break double figures for goals… but I know for a fact that Imrie rates him.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Would agree with that, Lithgow and Hynes are probably the 2 players we should be trying to move on.

Hynes should try and find a club in League 2, needs to be playing games at his age, he's 24 in Jan. Lithgow's fitness clearly an issue. Not sure what his short term plans are around continuing playing. I've heard its a possibility he will chuck it and move into personal training or something like that.  Perhaps we can agree a deal to let him move on in Jan and we can save a few quid. I'm assuming he is one of our top earners after signing a 2 year deal from Livvy.

I think Jan will be quite busy for us. Heard from a few different sources than Dougie will have decent funds available to bring in some quality players( thanks Dalrada). A few quality final 3rd additions and a top 4 finish should be realistic, only issue is actually finding them! 

Hynes is the less problematic one, because he won’t be on much; Lithgow on a ‘first-team starter’ wage is a real issue, because he’s clearly only going to play in an emergency.

He’s perfectly entitled to take his contracted wage until the summer, of course, but the hope is the player himself will want to move on to whatever he does next.

Get Kelty on the phone…

I was told there was money for two players before we signed Ambrose, so I’m only expecting one in January (a striker); but another midfielder in exchange for Lithgow would be a great deal.

Even if there is more money from Dalrada, we should be very cautious about spunking it all on players at this stage… and I trust Imrie to do that. Two signings in the right places makes us genuine contenders; that’s plenty for now.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Two-year deal, so will definitely be here (ditto Baird and McGrattan, I think).

The one that will divide opinion is a certain born-again ‘centre forward’; personally, I’d be waiting to see if he can sustain decent form over most of a season and break double figures for goals… but I know for a fact that Imrie rates him.

Hynes is the less problematic one, because he won’t be on much; Lithgow on a ‘first-team starter’ wage is a real issue, because he’s clearly only going to play in an emergency.

He’s perfectly entitled to take his contracted wage until the summer, of course, but the hope is the player himself will want to move on to whatever he does next.

Get Kelty on the phone…

I was told there was money for two players before we signed Ambrose, so I’m only expecting one in January (a striker); but another midfielder in exchange for Lithgow would be a great deal.

Even if there is more money from Dalrada, we should be very cautious about spunking it all on players at this stage… and I trust Imrie to do that. Two signings in the right places makes us genuine contenders; that’s plenty for now.

Whilst you're on the phone to Kelty... ask Nicky Low if he fancies a return to Greenock. Another midfielder of his ability wouldn't go amiss.

https://www.gmfc.net/a-message-from-the-board/

We are delighted to say that the plot of land behind the Cowshed at Sinclair Street has been obtained by the club from Inverclyde Council, and feasibility studies are already underway into potentially developing this area. We will be making further announcements about that soon.

Time for a bigger and better club-owned Norseman?

This is really promising stuff. There's a feeling that the club is moving in the right direction off the pitch and that would have been a totally ridiculous concept as recently as two years ago.

Getting a managerial appointment right and seeing good results on the park can change so much of the feeling at a club and lead to people turning a blind eye to negatives or overstating positives, but it can also overshadow good work behind the scenes. I really think MCT and the club board deserve a lot of credit for how things are going now.

The Dalrada deal is increasingly looking like a game changer for the club and it's something that would simply never have happened with Golden Casket in charge. We'll see in time what they have in mind for land on Sinclar Street, but the idea that the Raes could even conceive of capital expenditure on the area around Cappielow to generate revenue would have been laughable. The speed at which we've gone from 20 years of neglect to improvements in every area is really commendable.

There are quite similar contrasts between us at the moment surrounding on and off the field matters.  We're not quite community owned, but have an owner who is a fan and building a good infrastructure off the pitch as well as starting to get it right with football appointments.  Good to see you acquiring that area, will it be used for stadium development or has it potential for something like our social club/hub?  Maybe every club should go through a Hopkin stage to get to a positive point?

Plenty of detail still to come on this, but it seems pretty obvious that something equivalent to what Ayr have done would have multiple benefits: 1. a 'social club' type set-up would totally transform the experience of going to Cappielow for a large chunk of the support; 2. it opens up a pretty significant revenue stream on match-days in the process; 3. and there's scope for new revenue away from match-days if it can be designed to appeal to the wider community (conferences/events etc).

The initial costs won't be insignificant, so there's a degree of risk involved... but this is exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing.

This community-ownership thing could really catch on... 

On 18/09/2022 at 16:12, Branch Ton said:

Of course he ain’t going to fix it. Anyone who thinks two home defeats in a row is a “one off”, gets tactically outwitted by Dick Campbell yet again, can’t coax performances out of the club’s most valuable assets in Lyon and Strapp and favours cronies to ability is probably better off running the Tory Party than managing Morton. 

The gift that just keeps on giving, this.