The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I didn't think there was any way for us to sign Low at the moment. Not until January at the earliest. I thought I read that loans can only go down to leagues below. 

The only way we could sign Low at the moment would be for him to buy out his contract and become a free agent. Hard to see that happening so hopefully Imrie has someone else lined up.

8 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I didn't think there was any way for us to sign Low at the moment. Not until January at the earliest. I thought I read that loans can only go down to leagues below. 

Unless it’s a mutual termination effort. Campbelll might not want him hanging about.

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Domestic loans are still allowed for the Championship and below regardless of whether it's from a club in the same division, but a more pertinent question is why Arbroath would loan him out to a club in the same division. If they weren't willing to let him leave for another Championship club without a transfer fee and he hasn't become a free agent as Craigen and Thomson did, why would they let him go on loan to us now?

If the reason he's not been playing for Arbroath is trying to force a move because he's wanting to be closer to Greenock, then unless some logic defying agreement has been reached the best he's going to get is a loan to Clyde, Dumbarton or East Kilbride.

3 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

My understanding is that if he becomes a 'free agent' either by buying out his contract or by being released and having his contract terminated then he is free to sign for another club.

No, you had to be a free agent before the transfer window closed. If you're under contract when the window closes you can't sign for another club until the window opens again, so unless Low terminated his Arbroath contract yesterday without an announcement being made he can only sign for someone else on loan.

27 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Domestic loans are still allowed for the Championship and below regardless of whether it's from a club in the same division, 

I had also seen it reported that you had to loan down a level during the loan window extension month but can't actually see that in the rules so maybe not.

18 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

This is a pretty novel way of playing the game, to say the least, but it’s looking more and more like there are three players still to come: another midfielder, a wide player, and a striker.

Hope it’s done sooner rather than later…

I don't think a wide player is needed. Assuming the arrival of a first choice centre forward sees Quitongo moved out wide, we'd then have Quitongo, Kabia, Muirhead and McGregor as wide options, while McGrattan and King might also be used there if it came to it.

McGregor could possibly be loaned out as well, but that should be enough cover - if we were adding three rather than two I'd rather see another centre back or right back (preferably someone who can play both) added.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

1 hour ago, Mr Toon said:

The only way we could sign Low at the moment would be for him to buy out his contract and become a free agent. Hard to see that happening so hopefully Imrie has someone else lined up.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Unless it’s a mutual termination effort. Campbelll might not want him hanging about.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Can he be released and sign for another club outside of the window? Has the rule changed on that?

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Domestic loans are still allowed for the Championship and below regardless of whether it's from a club in the same division, but a more pertinent question is why Arbroath would loan him out to a club in the same division. If they weren't willing to let him leave for another Championship club without a transfer fee and he hasn't become a free agent as Craigen and Thomson did, why would they let him go on loan to us now?

If the reason he's not been playing for Arbroath is trying to force a move because he's wanting to be closer to Greenock, then unless some logic defying agreement has been reached the best he's going to get is a loan to Clyde, Dumbarton or East Kilbride.

1 hour ago, Mr Toon said:

My understanding is that if he becomes a 'free agent' either by buying out his contract or by being released and having his contract terminated then he is free to sign for another club.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

No, you had to be a free agent before the transfer window closed. If you're under contract when the window closes you can't sign for another club until the window opens again, so unless Low terminated his Arbroath contract yesterday without an announcement being made he can only sign for someone else on loan.

40 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I had also seen it reported that you had to loan down a level during the loan window extension month but can't actually see that in the rules so maybe not.

1619389587_download(14).jpeg.1019e9e6377e8e83a4f2fcc0930359c1.jpeg

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

This is a pretty novel way of playing the game, to say the least, but it’s looking more and more like there are three players still to come: another midfielder, a wide player, and a striker.

Hope it’s done sooner rather than later…

Imrie Thursday: we will only sign players if they will improve the squad.

Imrie Friday: but if i clear out a bunch of the squad we can sign anyone to do that.

Think About It GIF by Identity

I'm not convinced we will have anyone signed today and think we will go in to tomorrow's game short. We could wait until later in the month to try and get rid of Lyon and Garrity and find there's no longer clubs out there for them to go to which then hampers our budget to bring in the quality of players that Imrie wants. 

It's a calculated risk on Imrie's part but I don't think either Lyon or Garrity had much of a part to play in the coming weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I don't think a wide player is needed. Assuming the arrival of a first choice centre forward sees Quitongo moved out wide, we'd then have Quitongo, Kabia, Muirhead and McGregor as wide options, while McGrattan and King might also be used there if it came to it.

McGregor could possibly be loaned out as well, but that should be enough cover - if we were adding three rather than two I'd rather see another centre back or right back (preferably someone who can play both) added.

You might be right, but loaning Garrity maybe suggests otherwise.

Even with a new central striker, we don’t have enough to play 4-3-3 every week and cover injuries/suspensions and give us options from the bench.

As for the defence, I’d thought we might see Lithgow move out to make space for a different option, but it looks like nobody fancies his wage (or his weight). Short of that, King looking like a credible option at left-back might have led Imrie to think we have enough overall at the back.

At this point, the verdict on Imrie’s approach to squad building is certainly ‘bold’… I hope it doesn’t shade into ‘mad’.

20 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, I suppose you could say signing another right-back is the point where ‘bold’ becomes ‘mad’… (or maybe Hynes is in for a surprise 🤣)

I’m enjoying watching the ruthless wee fucker work, I have to say, but I’ll reserve judgement until I see where we land.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, I suppose you could say signing another right-back is the point where ‘bold’ becomes ‘mad’… (or maybe Hynes is in for a surprise 🤣)

I’m enjoying watching the ruthless wee fucker work, I have to say, but I’ll reserve judgement until I see where we land.

Aye, must admit when I saw that I wondered where Imrie's trying to punt Hynes to. 

12 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Aye, must admit when I saw that I wondered where Imrie's trying to punt Hynes to. 

The Dylan Dykes of Gus' McPherson's miserable tenure. Mind 12 months ago when people were trying to circle the wagons around that fucking loser?