The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 27/08/2022 at 19:59, port-ton said:

We were after him at the beginning of the summer but arbroath wanted a fee so I wouldmy be surprised now we've had the investment from the stadium name sale. 

I’m guessing this was all agreed a long time ago Nicky had mentioned he was struggling with going to Perth at nights (doubtful) and he’s obviously a big Morton fan (think this is real reason) so I think the agreement would’ve been that he could go after we signed a replacement for him (Scott Allan)

There will still be a fee involved though I would imagine 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m guessing this was all agreed a long time ago Nicky had mentioned he was struggling with going to Perth at nights (doubtful) and he’s obviously a big Morton fan (think this is real reason) so I think the agreement would’ve been that he could go after we signed a replacement for him (Scott Allan)

There will still be a fee involved though I would imagine 

You can understand both sides here.

Nicky stays in Greenock, Morton want him, he's a Morton fan, chance to get back into full time football and would save a small fortune in travel costs.

Arbroath on the other hand have a player in contract, one of your better players and won't want to lose him to a rival club, potentially bettering them, without getting some sort of fee for him, particularly when you are struggling down the bottom. 

As much as i'd like to see Nicky sign for us, I do feel Arbroath hold the cards here and if they want to play hardball, tough shit for Nicky, he's in contract so he will need to see it out until next summer, by which point we might not want him.

Either way, it should sort itself out in the next 48 hours. 

5 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Morton website saying we are in the s—— main stand having second thoughts and the best part of£30 to watch for me and my grandson?

If you are bringing more than a couple of hundred fans you will be behind goal would think. 

Main stand only holds 300 away fans or something does it not? Given Ayr are top of the league and it's not too travel then you will surely bring more than that and be put in the WDE like Dundee last weekend. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Main stand only holds 300 away fans or something does it not? Given Ayr are top of the league and it's not too travel then you will surely bring more than that and be put in the WDE like Dundee last weekend. 

Sure it's 600 in those sections.

Imrie playing his cards very close to his chest, suggesting that loans into September might be all we'll see.

Key thing for me is that he doesn't seem worried or angry about the situation; seems to know what he wants and also how/when he's likely to get it.

In the meantime, it'll remain nerve-shredding watching us try to win games 1-0 or draw 1-1, but he's shown that can be done. I just hope nobody at board level gets it into their head that you can do that for a whole season...

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Imrie playing his cards very close to his chest, suggesting that loans into September might be all we'll see.

Key thing for me is that he doesn't seem worried or angry about the situation; seems to know what he wants and also how/when he's likely to get it.

In the meantime, it'll remain nerve-shredding watching us try to win games 1-0 or draw 1-1, but he's shown that can be done. I just hope nobody at board level gets it into their head that you can do that for a whole season...

You seem remarkably calm about the situation! I was counting on getting an attacking / creative mid and a striker who actually scores goals, to transform us from mid-table to challenging at the top end. Anything less is a massively disappointing deadline day!

4 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

You seem remarkably calm about the situation! I was counting on getting an attacking / creative mid and a striker who actually scores goals, to transform us from mid-table to challenging at the top end. Anything less is a massively disappointing deadline day!

The loan market from Scottish Premier league clubs isn't until the end of September. Other than unfortunate timing for the Ayr game there's nothing to panic about yet. 

On one hand the sooner a striker comes in the better - we've already probably dropped four points when having a more clinical centre forward would likely have seen us beat Hamilton & Dundee - but Imrie's spot on that there's no point rushing into a signing for the sake of it. If we get a higher calibre of player on loan in three weeks time than we can get now then it's ultimately the right thing to do, even if the lower calibre of player we could sign tonight improves our chances of winning on Saturday.

Edited by Dunning1874

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What's the low down on Michael Garrity? Just signed for us until January.

Seemed to do well with Annan last season. Got a shot at making a place his own in the League Cup but didn't really do much.  

Happy for him to go out on loan again although I'd be looking for him to step it up a bit in his second year at that level. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Seemed to do well with Annan last season. Got a shot at making a place his own in the League Cup but didn't really do much.  

Happy for him to go out on loan again although I'd be looking for him to step it up a bit in his second year at that level. 

He's replacing Callum Wilson who started last season on fire and didn't kick a ball after September and put on weight, so if he can stay fit and turn in a few performances until January he'll be an improvement. 

Garrity to Dumbarton and Lyon to Annan on loan till Jan.
Morton down to a squad of 16, with no development team either.
Incomings have to be imminent.

That seems like a real drop for Lyon. Was he not one of your better midfielders in the last couple of seasons? Just lost confidence or does Imrie not rate him?

Good luck to Garrity, that's a fair enough move and I certainly wouldn't write him off for going out on loan again - Strapp also had a second loan spell to League Two before establishing himself in the first team here. With Dumbarton flying so far this season as well it's probably a good place for a winger to go, he can slot into a winning team and he hopefully won't struggle for gametime when they've been playing Kalvin Orsi every week.

Lyon going has to mean another midfielder is coming in today so we're not short for tomorrow. King and McGrattan are now our only cover there with King also currently being first choice left back.

On the decision to loan him out in general, I reckon at this stage in their careers McGrattan needs the guaranteed game time far more than Lyon does with Lyon already having 100 games under his belt so I'd have preferred to see McGrattan go, while Lyon has played a variety of midfield roles and McGrattan appears to be strictly a playmaker. It's undeniable though that Lyon wasn't close to good enough in his starts this season, and with Imrie explicitly saying he wants him to come back "fitter and stronger" he clearly still has an issue with him there. On ability alone he should absolutely piss League Two, but if he doesn't do that then come back and fight for a place in January it doesn't bode well for his career.

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Really important loan for Lyon that. At least a level below where he should be playing, needs to make the most of it. 

I’d assume Low’s on the way in now.

I didn't think there was any way for us to sign Low at the moment. Not until January at the earliest. I thought I read that loans can only go down to leagues below.