The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Thank  fck Crawford didn't sign back with us. He will run all over the park but skill level is poor, the first 5 touches to control the ball are vital.His second touch is usually a tackle though.

Edited by Buckfast

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I’m still a bit baffled though. If he’s a box to box player who doesn’t create or score goals, what does he do when he reaches the opposition box?

He usually trips over the ball and loses it.

I’m still a bit baffled though. If he’s a box to box player who doesn’t create or score goals, what does he do when he reaches the opposition box?

Usually skies a shot, falls over and wins a free kick or just loses the ball. His best work is really breaking up play and winning the ball. He’s a good dribbler as well once he gets control of it.

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

FTFY

That’s up to Lyon tbh; if he can’t establish himself in front of Blues, he’s not going to be the player we’d hoped he would be.

As far as I can see, Imrie’s preference for Blues thus far is based on nothing more than his willingness to run… Lyon needs to take that on board and then show his superior quality.

Most of us would be happy with Gillespie-Crawford-Lyon as our go-to midfield.

54 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Don't know about that tbh. Blues scores goals, when was Lyon's last?

Dunno.

Point I’m making is that Lyon has more ability than Blues, but he needs to show that more consistently and do the donkey work when we don’t have the ball… or he won’t be in the team.

Either way, Crawford signing means both of them aren’t likely to start many games, which is undoubtedly a good thing.

Had to check that out. Lyon hasn't scored in his last 70 appearances for us, going back to March 2020.

Horrible stat especially considering he scored 5 in 27 appearances that year.

In comparison, Blues has scored 9 times since lyon last scored, in 61 appearances.

Lyon needs to put a lot of work in this year or he might struggle to maintain his full time  professional footballer status. Shame as I've always liked him but Blues deserves to start ahead of him right now.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Dunno.

Point I’m making is that Lyon has more ability than Blues, but he needs to show that more consistently 

What does this ability consist of? Because it has been so long since Lyon has shown it, I'm no longer sure what sort of qualities he's supposed to offer to the team and how these have been demonstrated. 

Edited by vikingTON

I'm not even sure what 'type' of midfielder Lyon is anymore. As VT said I thought he was gonna be an Allan Jenkins style, box-to-box midfielder, who dragged the team forward with the ball. He's not really shown that's his game in a long time. Is he being asked to do things he's naw capable of and is now a square peg in a round hole? If so it's a bit weird to give him a 2 year deal knowing he didn't fit into Imrie's style. 

12 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That’s up to Lyon tbh; if he can’t establish himself in front of Blues, he’s not going to be the player we’d hoped he would be.

As far as I can see, Imrie’s preference for Blues thus far is based on nothing more than his willingness to run… Lyon needs to take that on board and then show his superior quality.

Most of us would be happy with Gillespie-Crawford-Lyon as our go-to midfield.

Most of us would, but a succession of managers have chosen Blues and others ahead of Lyon not just Imrie.

There's something not right there and doesn't look like Lyon has any intention or changing it.

He'll be slumming it in League 1 at Falkirk or Clyde in a year.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Most of us would, but a succession of managers have chosen Blues and others ahead of Lyon not just Imrie.

There's something not right there and doesn't look like Lyon has any intention or changing it.

He'll be slumming it in League 1 at Falkirk or Clyde in a year.

As I said, it’s up to him. If he doesn’t have the drive to improve and establish himself, you might be right about what happens next.

But we’ve all seen the player who can drive with the ball at his feet and, once upon a time, looked to have a goal in him.

I’m happy to have the two of them compete for a slot; never think we look much when both start (and glad to see so much love around for the once reviled - not by me - Blues…).

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

He'll be slumming it in League 1 at Falkirk

He'd be the latest in a long line of players we've let go and said "ach, he should do a job in the league below" only to go to Falkirk and not do a job in the league below

Russell, Tidser, Buchanan, Telfer, Doyle, Johnstone, McManus, McGuffie, Nesbit and Oliver. 

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As I said, it’s up to him. If he doesn’t have the drive to improve and establish himself, you might be right about what happens next.

But we’ve all seen the player who can drive with the ball at his feet and, once upon a time, looked to have a goal in him.

I’m happy to have the two of them compete for a slot; never think we look much when both start (and glad to see so much love around for the once reviled - not by me - Blues…).

Aye  nothing against Lyon and I probably would still prefer giving him another chance over Blues, but just being realistic. That's not happening.

It would the a seismic shift for him to dislodge Blues from being first on the teamsheet.

Really good news on the sponsorship. Naming rights are a no brainer when we can all carry on just referring to it as Cappielow regardless of the official title, that income is obviously much needed and it looks like it's bringing some expertise onto the board too.

Jack Hamilton signing for us is a bit of a weird one, signed on a 2 year deal to be a third, potentially fourth choice keeper behind Schwake who's out on loan. You'd be surprised if he ever actually plays for us