The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

17 hours ago, #Gary said:

Anyone know how the tickets work these days?

I've got a season card which I thought would just act as a fan card when it came to cup games. There's also a section on the ticket website for "your digital tickets" ... But the only option at checkout is to collect from the ticket office (which doesn't save queuing on match day). 

Is it just the checkout option that's wrong or do we genuinely have the most pointless turnstiles/ticketing platform known to man? 

You can ignore the pick up at ticket office bit. If you buy the game there's a PDF in your order history with a QR code which you use for entry to the game (with both phone and print off options). 

I can't actually do it cause I get an error with the card authentication page every time, but I showed my dad how to do it yesterday. 

Board update is not exactly great reading! We are just managing to keep our heads above water. I would imagine other clubs in the Championship will be similar.

Potential investors now won't invest now because they won't waive anonymity.  This of course has an knock on effect to the squad budget.

My initial reaction is let them keep their anonymity and take the money. We could potentially be heading for relegation with this current squad.

My next reaction is can we not sell the club to the Easdales? I suppose in the big scheme of things it's early days in fan ownership, but we are struggling

Might be wrong here but were MCT not implying early doors that they would eventually be able to run the club at break even without member contributions being taken into account? 

With regards to the statement itself, I know energy costs have been on the rise but 325% increase has to be partly an increase in consumption as well surely? If so, why is there an increase in consumption? 

Regarding the investor wanting anonymity, I guess it could be a new lottery winner who hasn't went public with their win and would rather people not know. If not, alarm bells would be ringing for me with this one. Only those who have had the early discussions will know who and why.

Finally, this squad is fucking shite and we are 100% getting relegated with about 6 goals scored if that's it, which it sounds like it is.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Board update is not exactly great reading! We are just managing to keep our heads above water. I would imagine other clubs in the Championship will be similar.

Potential investors now won't invest now because they won't waive anonymity.  This of course has an knock on effect to the squad budget.

My initial reaction is let them keep their anonymity and take the money. We could potentially be heading for relegation with this current squad.

My next reaction is can we not sell the club to the Easdales? I suppose in the big scheme of things it's early days in fan ownership, but we are struggling

The club is worth £0 because the assets were - quite rightly - separated to avoid knicker-wetters like you flogging them to any Walter Mitty figure at the first opportunity. 

The club needs to bin the completely unsustainable fraud that is 'full-time football', which will allow for a modestly better standard of player to be targeted.

Which division we play in is far less important than having a football club to support. It is risible - truly risible - to see so many fans forgetting where we were in December 2020 and all their crocodile tears about the future of the club, in clamouring for any sugar daddy benefactor to walk in the door.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Surely I'm not the only one that sees several alarm bells ringing there? There are a whole load of things that don't add up with the Easdales. 

4 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Surely I'm not the only one that sees several alarm bells ringing there? There are a whole load of things that don't add up with the Easdales. 

The alarm bells for me is heading to the seaside leagues.  Fan numbers fall and inevitably so does the the income for the club.

The whole thing could quite easily become unsustainable. For me we really are in troubled times. If that turns out to be me knicker-wetting and nothing else I'll be a happy man  

7 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The alarm bells for me is heading to the seaside leagues.  Fan numbers fall and inevitably so does the the income for the club.

The whole thing could quite easily become unsustainable. For me we really are in troubled times. If that turns out to be me knicker-wetting and nothing else I'll be a happy man  

We might be going through a tricky period, particularly with other clubs on the up because of outside investment. We might be heading for relegation at some point, but we're still in a far better position to succeed as a club than most of the clubs in League One and Two. 

But surely you can see the myriad of troubling questions surrounding the Easdales and Morton?

Edited by SpoonTon

9 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Please remind us just how effective Douglas Rae was at preventing the club from heading to the seaside leagues in 2013/14, and just how 'sustainable' the club's situation was when his family decided to get out. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Please remind us just how effective Douglas Rae was at preventing the club from heading to the seaside leagues in 2013/14, and just how 'sustainable' the club's situation was when his family decided to get out. 

Dougie would not have let the club fold in the seasides is the point. 

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Dougie would not have let the club fold in the seasides is the point. 

He failed to stop it dropping into the seaside leagues and let it build up over £2 million of completely unpayable debt, so that's bollocks. The club was in a complete nick soon after he died because all of those chickens came home to roost. And in many ways we're still dealing with multiple issues on the commercial side that didn't interest him or that he didn't understand. 

We were extremely fortunate to extricate ourselves from GC intact and if you blithely assume that we'd get just as lucky in dealing with the Easdales or any other private owner, then you're a dangerous fool never mind a knicker-wetter. 

It's just as well that the assets have been separated from the club to forestall this sort of Dundee-esque nonsense from taking hold quite so easily. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, virginton said:

It's just as well that the assets have been separated from the club to forestall this sort of Dundee-esque nonsense from taking hold quite so easily. 

Were you not in admin long before us?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The club is worth £0 because the assets were - quite rightly - separated to avoid knicker-wetters like you flogging them to any Walter Mitty figure at the first opportunity. 

The club needs to bin the completely unsustainable fraud that is 'full-time football', which will allow for a modestly better standard of player to be targeted.

Which division we play in is far less important than having a football club to support. It is risible - truly risible - to see so many fans forgetting where we were in December 2020 and all their crocodile tears about the future of the club, in clamouring for any sugar daddy benefactor to walk in the door.

Well said.

It’s very possible (likely?) that the previous ownership would have wound the club up in the face of the spiralling costs faced over the past six months. And from a certain POV, that would have been understandable.

The great virtue of our current ownership model is that we can be confident such a decision won’t be taken.  And I would ask those who would rather see a messiah walk through the door for the sake of having a new centre forward, to remember that.

Clearly we need to raise more revenue though, but loans (interest free or not) can’t be the answer here.

The most obvious route would be to sell of the c.39% equity that MCT owns - and personally, I’d be willing to accept investors being anonymous but I appreciate that I could be in the minority on that. And any investment can’t simply be spunked on player contracts.

51 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Were you not in admin long before us?

Thank you.

We didn't assume ownership of our club after administration, then flogged it to an obvious Walter Mitty figure in Callum (C'lum) Melville and then went into administration yet again. Unlucky.

Colkitto's honorary DFC Supporters' Trust badge is no doubt in the post for this nick of an argument.

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

We didn't assume ownership of our club and then flog it to an obvious Walter Mitty figure in Callum (C'lum) Melville and then go into administration yet again. Unlucky 

Colkitto's honorary DFC Supporters' Trust badge is no doubt in the post for this nick of an argument.

Never flogged anything to Clum, said he was putting money in, and then never did it. End of story.

3 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I'd go as far as to say without the Easdales businesses sponsorship of Morton we would already be on our knees. 

You only have to look around Cappielow from McGills to Save Heat and all the others in between to see the money the Easdales are putting in to the club. 

Maybe the question should be can we even survive now without them?  

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Never flogged anything to Clum, said he was putting money in, and then never did it. End of story.

Why was he sitting on your board and calling the shots on managers/signings then?

And it's not the end of the story. You foolishly spunked money based on a set of IOUs that left Dundee on the hook for the payments you couldn't make. And so you went into administration, again. 

A warning as if it were needed about the danger of private investors bearing gifts. 

4 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Unless something drastic happens we're fucked. It may take others a bit longer to realise that.

A few hours ago you were telling us that Dougie Rae wouldn’t have let the club fold in the seaside leagues.

His plan for after his death was to pass the club down to a dis-interested family who chanced their arm at taking the club’s only asset for themselves and charging us rent for the use of it, don’t give us the bullshit that you’re the only one who can see the wood from the trees, here.