The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Just now, qpfc said:

Absolutely adamant it’s a wig. Was completely bald one week and the following Saturday, had a full head of hair. Funnily, he became absolutely garbage at football after that 

The new rage is that hair transplant thing where it is basically a wig glued to your napper.

Aye that’s a rotten signing lads. Was gonna say he’s a baldy Joe Chalmers but that won’t apply anymore.

Stinks of Dougie just signing his mate without realising he’s completely past it.

Quitongo I can just sbout make a case for, but “Imrie knows him” is about as much as you can say for Gillespie. Not having the bench player stuff either, we can’t afford bench players. If he’s not capable of starting games at this level he should be nowhere near us. 

Again, hope I’m proved wrong, but not impressed. 

Aye not the Dougie Imrie mate i was hoping for.

I doubt he is better than Jacobs and even then, very few Morton fans want him in the starting 11, including Dougie last season.

Strange couple of signings after a promising start but of course we need to trust Imrie.

Badly need some quality final third players now!

Edited by madton

Would have been plenty Livi fans wanting a look at him in the first team this season, sounds like he had a good start at Falkirk when he joined them in January but seemed to pick up a few knocks towards the end of the season.

Got Scott Brown sent off in a draw with Celtic on his debut for us, and scored 2 on his debut for Falkirk, so interested to see what happens on his first game for you lot*

*If the deal goes through, that is

Edited by LiviLion

Kabia is rapid and composed in front of goal on the whole. Good young player. His form dipped towards the latter part of his loan spell with Falkirk and then got injured.

Fairly lightweight in stature and not known for his heading ability but a positive signing for the Ton in my opinion.

I'd rate Euan Henderson higher from seeing him play at Alloa. Suspect he will get given a chance in the Championship this season coming.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Both those signings can be considered fine in isolation but make it vital that we get some real quality with the signings still to come. We needed another holding midfield option and you could argue Gillespie is acceptably mediocre for that as cover, despite the hope we could have had someone closer to Wilson in quality with Jacobs as cover rather than bringing in someone to be cover to Jacobs. Similarly Quitongo is a massive gamble, but we basically needed a whole forward line including cover and if he's going to be taking Oliver's place as impact sub rather than being an Ugwu or Reilly replacement then we could have done worse, such as keeping Oliver.

We still need cover at left back, ideally through someone who can cover centre back as well. Otherwise every other signing to come needs to be someone coming in to go straight into the starting XI, with serious creativity and goals needing added. As it stands those three or four signings could be the difference between 4th and 10th. Some Craig Sibbald level coups and we can look up the way, more Jai Quitongos and you've got a team which ended last season with only 7 goals in 11 games looking considerably weaker creatively.

Kabia would be much better news.

We have lacked pace in our team for a good while now so pleasing to hear this boy Kabia has it and of course we know how fast Jai can be.

Watched Kabias 4 goals for Falkirk last season and he does look a decent prospect with some tidy finishes and their fans seem to rate him on Twitter. Comments above all sound very positive too. 

Hopefully we are speaking to Sibbald too and he might be encouraged to sign if his ex coach and 4 ex teams mates are playing with us. ( Lithgow, Kabia, Pignatiello and Schwake)  Would be turning into a mini Livi but f**k it. I know Ayr have spoke to him, probably has a few offers elsewhere too.

11 minutes ago, madton said:

We have lacked pace in our team for a good while now so pleasing to hear this boy Kabia has it and of course we know how fast Jai can be.

Watched Kabias 4 goals for Falkirk last season and he does look a decent prospect with some tidy finishes and their fans seem to rate him on Twitter. Comments above all sound very positive too. 

Hopefully we are speaking to Sibbald too and he might be encouraged to sign if his ex coach and 4 ex teams mates are playing with us. ( Lithgow, Kabia, Pignatiello and Schwake)  Would be turning into a mini Livi but f**k it. I know Ayr have spoke to him, probably has a few offers elsewhere too.

Bullen said the other week we have spoken and made an offer, his agent was keen for him to sign and was down to Sibbald who was weighing a few options up.  We're hopeful he'll come to us as Bullen knows him and was part of the coaching set up that gave him his debut at Falkirk.

Gillespie signed for us and was not fit, he slowly jogged in the same space without actually doing anything in the few appearances he made for us. 

I don’t remember a pass, tackle or mistake in his entire time at Ayr, it is more than possible he never touched the ball once, just stayed out the road and practiced pointing. I remember thinking 2 years ago that he was done as a footballer. 

Maybe he’s been for a stem cell injection for his hair and football ability over the summer. 

It’s hard to say if he is a bad signing or not because he played like a celebrity in a pro-celebrity game, the footballers kind of just played around him

1 hour ago, madton said:

Would be turning into a mini Livi but f**k it.

That's worked out well for a few clubs :D Kabia should be a good signing, hopefully he can make that step up as he's a good lad too

If the rumours of our interest in Nicky Low, Ali Crawford or Craig Sibbald are in any way founded, it would be  A difficult decision to chose one of them over the others. If full time football sorted his injury troubles I would probably go for Nicky Low for his ability to change defence into attack. Crawford’s the most attacking of the three and the times I’ve watched Sibbald he seems to play quite deep. They would actually make a good midfield trio but that would be a dream scenario. for Morton in our current position.

A great chance for Kabia to show what he can do at a higher level. He stood out for us (although that wasn’t particularly difficult) during his short spell. Full of trickery, pace and a good finisher given the chance.  He’s not the biggest or strongest, and did have a tendency to struggle to adapt if things weren’t going his way. I suspect with any remotely competent team and a bit of protection he could be a very good player. He can be an absolute WUM on the park as well and is good for teasing out a few cheap yellow cards. 

10 hours ago, #Gary said:

Slightly worrying interview from Dougie on the YouTube channel tonight...

Aye bit annoying he is coming out with that stuff. Likewise he said in the tele the aim is to stay in the league, Morton has got to him already as that wasn't the chat last season. He spoke last season about kicking on and challenging at the top end this season.

We have effectively 12 first team players with 6 dev players( 5 plus Hynes) as backup.

We have lost 11( 10 first team plus Bysouth) players from season and brought in 6 so we absolutely need more in.. For me, we still need,

Backup GK,

backup CB who can cover LB, 

Attacking central midfielder

Winger

Striker.

If we can get a few of the dev boys out on loan and potentially shift Jacobs either loan or permanent then that should help. Our budget is apparently the same as last year so no reason to come out with the money is tight chat when we are still 5 players down on last year.

i doubt the players we have brought in are high earners too so when you consider we lost a few high earners in the Summer, I'm thinking Reilly,  Gozie and Hamilton, the kitty should be looking fine to add a few decent options in the final 3rd.

Hope Dougie is just playing the game but comments like that dont help when we have 12 1st team players signed.